Bike Hire in Hobart?

purple

Bike Hire in Hobart?

Postby purple » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Hello

I am going to Hobart for work for 6 weeks. I used to do a weekend ride every weekend in Sydney. I am thinking to do cycling while I am working in Tassie. However, look like it is a bit hard for me to bring my bike over to Tassie for 6 weeks

Does anyone know if I can rent a bike? I prefer to rent a road bike if possible so i can get a similar riding position.

Thanks

LG

Re: Bike Hire in Hobart?

Postby LG » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 pm

A couple of bike hire places listed in this link http://www.cyclingsouth.org/index.php?o ... &Itemid=61 but you'll probably be better off contacting one of the bike shops listed if you are after hire of a roadie. Try McBains or one of the others.
LG = Low Gear

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 am

Do what I just did in Cambridge (UK) for 3 weeks, buy a bike on arrival, sell on departure.

3 weeks was cheaper than hire for me, surely 6 weeks would work even better...

Cheers
JM

floody

Postby floody » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi there Mr Purple (Alvin?),
Unfortunately over winter its near impossible to hire a bike at all and most of the current operators are difficult for longer term hire. Derwent bike hire are THE option now for more than a daytrip and they are not geared for longer term hire with their fleet of mostly low end mtbs and hybrids.

I would suggest arranging to purchase a new low end bike with an agreed buyback from one of the local shops as it will be by far the most economical way to go about things. I'd imagine you'll probably get a circa 30% buyback on the bike which would be favourable against most hire options.

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:46 pm

I went to Tassie last November and looked into hiring a bike to no real avail, and with the cycling that seems available over there I'm endeavoring to take my bike over with me next time.