Retul bike fitting

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Tarifa

Retul bike fitting

Postby Tarifa » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi,

don't know if this is the right place...anyway, in the last days I did a little bit of research on bike fitting, since I would need one soon and also I'm considering to build a frame myself.

I found this professional computerized bike fitting system called Retul which looks pretty interesting.

Has anyone checked this out, especially in the Brisbane area? Impressions?

Cheers

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Retul bike fitting

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Retul is just a fancy ruler.

What matters is the quality and experience of the person doing the fitting. As them about their experience, how they go about the process and what level of ongoing support you can expect to receive (and any guarantees). If they emphasize the measuring tool rather than the process of fitting a bike properly for you, then look elsewhere.

Tarifa

Postby Tarifa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, don't have that much knowledge of bike fitting but I agree totally that the quality of the fit is a product of the fitter. The better and more knowledgeable the fitter the better the fit. A cutting edge software in a given field needs lots of knowledge and judgment in its use.

So why a good fitter would use Retul? Is he probably obtaining more accurate measurements because he's taking out the human error that comes from manual measurements and doing the fit during a period that the rider is in motion? Is he simply armed with the most accurate form of measuring tool?

Also, I had a look at the report that comes out of the test, and there is a huge quantity of data digitalized and stored, which makes it interesting considering I would like to design and build myself a road frame in the near future (hopefully!).

So, that's why I'm asking here for personal experiences and impressions.

Thanks

nagomonaro

Postby nagomonaro » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:08 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Retul is just a fancy ruler.

What matters is the quality and experience of the person doing the fitting. As them about their experience, how they go about the process and what level of ongoing support you can expect to receive (and any guarantees). If they emphasize the measuring tool rather than the process of fitting a bike properly for you, then look elsewhere.

FINALLY! A concise correct post on BikeFitting!!!!!

purple

Postby purple » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:10 am

I have done the Retul bike fit. It took over 2 hours. During the bike fit, it showed my legs movement on the screen. So the person who did the bike fit has to adjust my saddle angle, cheat position, saddle height, reduce stem, adjust the handle bars, etc.

It may be a fancy ruler, however, I do think it worths the price, as you can see extraly how your legs move on the screen and how your body position is like when you are riding.

booge

Postby booge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:23 pm

I did a Retul fit in St Kilda about a year ago. Very happy with it, the guy who did it (can't remember name right now) was great, great attention to detail. Bike just felt "right" after it was done. He didn't do the big upsell on stems seatposts etc, everything i had just needed to be tweaked a bit, ie flipped stem, seat moved forward, seat height etc. After having a fit done at Kennedy's a few years ago, this Retul fit on the new bike only cost me the actual quoted fitting price. Unlike Kennedy's when I walked out much much poorer.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:57 pm

Tarifa wrote:

Cheers
Gary Land (Pro Bike Fit) located at Kelvin Grove Brisbane uses the Retul fitting system & has fitted my Wife & I to 5 separate bikes (road, MTB, race bikes etc)

The system it self is very precise, but as stated above interpreting the data & applying it to the individual is where it's at. We're both very happy with the results, & find Gary to be straight to the point.

Our coach said he would have achieved the same results in 10 minutes for free. He 's totally against any bike fitting systems & claims to have seen endless amounts of dramas caused by so called bike fitters. His methods are more along the lines of observing a rider while in their natural state out on the bike & not locked onto an indoor trainer. His ideas are sound & justified although I gained a lot of very useful information from the bike fit such as, sit bone width (saddle width), cleat positioning, pelvic tilt & several other very precise factors.

Coach's advise--- don't bother & go by feel/comfort & real time observations. Cost $0

Bike fitters advise---use all the information at hand & apply to the individual via computer analysis & fitters experience. Cost $400.

I'm fortunate to have been able to use both methods & make my own conclusion.

Link to Pro Bike Fit----->>>> http://www.probikefit.com.au/
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:07 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Tarifa wrote:

Cheers
Gary Land (Pro Bike Fit) located at Kelvin Grove Brisbane uses the Retul fitting system & has fitted my Wife & I to 5 separate bikes (road, MTB, race bikes etc)

The system it self is very precise, but as stated above interpreting the data & applying it to the individual is where it's at. We're both very happy with the results, & find Gary to be straight to the point.

Our coach said he would have achieved the same results in 10 minutes for free. He 's totally against any bike fitting systems & claims to have seen endless amounts of dramas caused by so called bike fitters. His methods are more along the lines of observing a rider while in their natural state out on the bike & not locked onto an indoor trainer. His ideas are sound & justified although I gained a lot of very useful information from the bike fit such as, sit bone width (saddle width), cleat positioning, pelvic tilt & several other very precise factors.

Coach's advise--- don't bother & go by feel/comfort & real time observations. Cost $0

Bike fitters advise---use all the information at hand & apply to the individual via computer analysis & fitters experience. Cost $400.

I'm fortunate to have been able to use both methods & make my own conclusion.

Link to Pro Bike Fit----->>>> http://www.probikefit.com.au/
I have used Gary's services myself and have found the fit to be a big improvement on the one I had done before in the shop (which was a 10-15min, pedal, look, drop the stem, up the seat and off you go type).
I was amazed that a few adjustments made so much difference in improvements such as an extended stem giving more reach for better climbing, lower at the front and higher at the back with a touch forward on the seat for more speed.
The system is able to find a little extra power that is not transferred effectively due to a bad fit and that is what I was looking for. Another friend I train with is currently working closely with Gary in setting up his TT bike to find mor speed to get ready for the state TT championship.
In my opinion if the guy knows what he is doing then yes we'll worth it

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:04 pm

I've used Gary Land as well. He lowered my saddle from a knee angle of 28 to 34 degrees. It felt WAYYYY too low, but improved cadence overall, and increased top sustainable cadence and speed. He didn't adjust anything else. A few months later another bike fitter and my coach advised I get a longer stem, which I felt I needed.

Brisbane elite coach Nic Formosa also uses Retul.

My ideal bike fit would include careful use of Retul and power meter, by a bike riding physiotherapist highly skilled in bicycle biomechanical analysis and explaining that to a client, rehab-ing bicycle overuse and traumatic injuries, and sports physiology as it applies to coaching for peak performance. Further, they'd understand and have experience in these areas, with people of all ages, 5 to 85.

They'd be adept at using retul, position electrodes proficiently, work in a time efficient manner, and get the most out of the tool.
They would analyse retul results at different cadences and power outputs, in and out of saddle.
They'd also accompany me on a 4 hour road ride and in a criterium race.

I don't know a bike fitter like this.
I've heard bike fitters dump on physios for causing cyclists problems, and I've heard physios say the same about top bike fitters.
The reality is, there's both who think they are expert at doing bike fits, when both have lot's of room for improvement.

Tarifa

Postby Tarifa » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi,

thanks everybody for sharing your experience!

They are all very helpful in understanding how the session works and in developing a little bit of confidence on the subject.

Looks like that, should I decide to give it a go, in Brisbane I would find pretty good options.

Also had a look at the report that comes out of the test and I found plenty of interesting data.

Cheers