Bikeway Counts - July

beauyboy

Bikeway Counts - July

Postby beauyboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:07 am

As it is that I was sprung doing counts again (still trying to find work) I will post the results.
I had not originally intended to give them out but as they are desired I will share them
Kurilpa Bridge Count 20120723
Time = 7:25-8:05am
Total = 114

Sex
Male = 94 (82%)
Female = 20 (18%)

Bike Type
Road = 48 (42%)
Other* = 66 (58%)

Bike per Sex
Male Road = 44 (46%)
Male Other* = 50 (54%)
5 citycycle included
Female Road = 4 (20%)
Female Other* = 16 (80%)

* = any bike that is not fitted with drop bar Handle Bars

General Note
- Not all bikes passing were able to be counted
- This count did not include pedestrians
- This count includes cyclists going both North and South
- Due this count occurring 10minutes later than the original figures are not directly comparable.
- This count was conducted at the peak of the bridge
- The weather was clear skies and cool temperature.

Goodwill Bridge Count 20120724
Total = 374

Sex
Male = 310 (82%)
Female = 64 (18%)

Bike Type
Road = 162 (43%)
Other* = 221 (57%)

Bike per Sex
Male Road = 143 (46%)
Male Other* = 167 (54%)
2 citycycle included
Female Road = 19 (30%)
Female Other* = 45 (70%)
2 citycycle included

General Note
- Due to this count beginning 10minutes later then the Bicentennial count the figures cannot be directly compared.
- This count was conducted at the peak of the bridge

Bicentennial Bikeway Count 20120725
Time = 7:20-8:00am
Total = 445

Sex
Male = 376 (83%)
Female = 69 (17%)

Bike Type
Road = 211 (47%)
Other* = 234 (53%)

Bike per Sex
Male Road = 198 (53%)
Male Other* = 178 (47%)
5 citycycles included
Female Road = 13 (39%)
Female Other* = 56 (61%)
4 citycycles included

General Note
- Not all bike passing were able to be counted
- This count did not include pedestrian
- This count includes cyclists going both east and west
- This count was conducted just west of the Hale Street Bridge with counter sitting in the shade under the Overpass
- Between 30-50% of road cyclists were in groups or seamed to be out riding for exercise and not commuting
- Due to the count was conducted 5 mins earlier than previous counts and is not directly comparable
- The weather was clear skies and cool to brisk temperature

South East Bikeway Count 20120726
Total = 210

Sex
Male = 169 (80%)
Female = 41 (20%)

Bike Type
Road = 69 (33%)
Other* = 141 (67%)

Bike per Sex
Male Road = 56 (33%)
Male Other* = 113 (67%)
Female Road = 13 (32%)
Female Other* = 28 (68%)

General Note
- This count did not include pedestrians as they are not permitted on the bikeway
- Due to this count beginning 10minutes later then the Bicentennial count the figures can not be directly compared.
- This count was conducted under the Vulture St overpass
- The weather was clear skies and cool to brisk temperature.

Normanby Ped/Cycle Link Count 20120727
Total = 104

Sex
Male = 85 (82%)
Female = 19 (18%)

Bike Type
Road = 33 (32%)
Other* = 71 (68%)

Bike per Sex
Male Road = 30 (35%)
Male Other* = 55 (65%)
Female Road = 3 (16%)
Female Other* = 16 (84%)

General Note
- Due to this count beginning 10minutes later then the Bicentennial count the figures can not be directly compared.
- This count was conducted at the southern end of link were it joins Parkland boulevard
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Comedian

Re: Bikeway Counts - July

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:20 am

Well done again and thanks for taking the time to do this.

It fascinates me that the M/F ratio is quite stable no matter where you count. At 1/5 it is a sign of a sick cycling environment/culture IMHO.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:52 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that the low female count is a sad reminder of how bad the cycling environement is in Brisbane. I do believe the 1/5 (f/m) ratio has some thing to do with the cold weather. Most of the other counts in past months have resulted in 1/4 (f/m) ratio so hopefully it will increase again slightly in the warmer weather.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:19 pm

beauyboy wrote:There is no doubt in my mind that the low female count is a sad reminder of how bad the cycling environement is in Brisbane. I do believe the 1/5 (f/m) ratio has some thing to do with the cold weather. Most of the other counts in past months have resulted in 1/4 (f/m) ratio so hopefully it will increase again slightly in the warmer weather.

Donald
Are you saying women are soft ?? :mrgreen:

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:31 pm

oh no

I will keep to reporting the statistics rather then commentating on them.
:mrgreen:
Donald

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 pm

beauyboy wrote:oh no

I will keep to reporting the statistics rather then commentating on them.
:mrgreen:
Donald
Smart move there Donald.....I for one am enjoying commuting through winter, the mornings are stunning at the moment :D
Lisa

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Funny, i actually was surprised that the M/F ratio was that high - i expected less females. I hardly see any on my commute.

Just a thought:
Could the ratio be skewed abit as most people heading into/around the city are likely to have office jobs.
- For females, office jobs typically involve smart business skirts, blouses etc makeup and heels (whether this is an official rule or just an expectation). So perhaps they believe its abit hard to dress that way and commute. Add in that applying make up, doing hair etc may be harder in a shared changeroom, if they even have access to one. (Of course as im not female, im just speculating here).

- In my case, my work is thoughtful enough to have a locker and changeroom. So i leave 3-4 work shirts in my locker, have a shower and get dressed within 15mins. I have a set of black shoes and belt that i leave in the locker.

Not saying that its an excuse not to ride. But i can understand that some females may deem it 'too much effort'. Unfortunately.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey Rob

There are many reasons why the girls don't commute, the hair/makeup/clothes excuse may be one of them.
Some others that I've thought about is concerns for their safety, either personal or fear of accidents or their confidence with changing flats or other mechanical issues.

I'm fortunate that I have a locker to store my gear in, there's a shower and a good place to store my bike ( even if it gets crowded when the weather is warmer) and I have a decent length of a commute that makes it worth the effort of carrying gear in, having double ups of everything...
I have a job in which I can get away with jeans and more casual type attire so I'm not needing to store a suit or heels etc...
Lisa

RobM

Postby RobM » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:36 pm

marinmomma wrote:Hey Rob

There are many reasons why the girls don't commute, the hair/makeup/clothes excuse may be one of them.
Some others that I've thought about is concerns for their safety, either personal or fear of accidents or their confidence with changing flats or other mechanical issues.

I'm fortunate that I have a locker to store my gear in, there's a shower and a good place to store my bike ( even if it gets crowded when the weather is warmer) and I have a decent length of a commute that makes it worth the effort of carrying gear in, having double ups of everything...
I have a job in which I can get away with jeans and more casual type attire so I'm not needing to store a suit or heels etc...
Thats a shame (about the reasons not to ride to work). In reality, riding to work is pretty safe - depending on available bikeway routes. During peak hour, theyre quite busy with other riders so there is safety in numbers there.

And regarding the punctures - i would hope the gentlemen riders would stop and help :mrgreen: I mean, ive stopped and help plenty of people (all male now i think about it). I wouldnt hesitate to help a female that looked in mechanical trouble.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm

They were just my thoughts about why women may not ride, also some with younger children may have to do school/daycare drop-offs and do the after school pick ups and sports run which doesn't leave them time to ride.

I'm past that stage so but only just, commuting even this time last year would have been problematic.

Fear of getting a flat and not being 100% confident of changing it correctly has stopped me from riding on my own in the earlier days, not so now but it's just a confidence thing. I've been out riding with hubby and another male friend and had a flat to change...I'm sure there were a few other riders who past us wondering why I was doing it and the blokes were standing around watching, but I needed to do it for myself and not rely on Mr MM.
Lisa

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Looking at the statistics equipment has something to do with it as well. Women are more likely in all the counts apart from the Bicentennial to ride a bike other then a road bike. Then look at the Netherlands where women ride more then men and look at there bikes. They have bikes with, mudguard, chainguard, kickstand & skirtguards. Look at most Australian bikes and they are devoid of all 4 items. Even female so called city bikes are missing at least two of those features if not three.
The flat tyre issue is one due to poor choices because of the brands. My seek that is meant to have puncture resistant tyres but had a flat the first wet day. Bikes need to be far more utility in Australia then they are.

Donald