GM Wi-Fi Direct-equipped cars to detect cyclists

Aushiker

GM Wi-Fi Direct-equipped cars to detect cyclists

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:29 pm

General Motors is working to expand upon its vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) and vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication systems that are being developed to allow information to be shared between vehicles and infrastructure to provide advance warning of potential road hazards, such as stalled vehicles, slippery roads, road works, intersections, stop signs and the like. The automaker is now looking to add pedestrians and cyclists to the mix so a car can detect them in low visibility conditions before the driver does.

Instead of relying on Dedicated Short-Range Communications (DSRC) technology like the V2I and V2V systems, the pedestrian-detecting system under development uses Wi-Fi Direct, a peer-to-peer standard that allows Wi-Fi devices, such as smartphones and tablets, to connect directly to each other without the need for a wireless hotspot.

GM says that integrating Wi-Fi Direct with other sensor-based object detection and driver alert systems already available in many production vehicles will enable pedestrians and cyclists carrying Wi-Fi Direct-enabled smartphones to be detected. And whereas conventional systems will have a lag of around seven to eight seconds because a signal needs to be sent to and from a mobile phone tower, Wi-Fi Direct offers location data that is current up to one second as it eliminates this intermediate step.

More details at Gizmag.

Andrew

Max

Re: GM Wi-Fi Direct-equipped cars to detect cyclists

Postby Max » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Because trusting motorists to use their eyes, ears and brains to detect other road users really is too much to ask.

</cynicism>

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Police: sir what do you have to say in defence about running over the cyclist?
Motorist: it not my fault, my car didn't tell me he was there!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:28 pm

What a great idea!

Now than relax and avoid mis spellings 'cos they'll only have to look up from their smartphone when the car beeps at them.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:58 pm

ozdavo wrote:Police: sir what do you have to say in defence about running over the cyclist?
Motorist: it not my fault, my car didn't tell me he was there!
He didn't have a smart-phone, I couldn't see him.

Scurrilous BS systems IMHO
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Car drivers need less gizmos and need to use their own built in gizmos that nature provided (sight, hearing etc). People are becoming to lazy and complacent and relying on technology too much. Good examples are people who have driven off roads becasue the GPS "told" them to.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Ross wrote:Car drivers need less gizmos and need to use their own built in gizmos that nature provided (sight, hearing etc). People are becoming to lazy and complacent and relying on technology too much. Good examples are people who have driven off roads becasue the GPS "told" them to.
Perhaps cars need more gizmos. Like a gizmo that won't allow you to start the engine if the car detects that your phone or music-player is turned on.