No Wheat diet

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
wardie

Re: No Wheat diet

Postby wardie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Twizzle

My 2 year old son has a range of food intolerances (started with dairy and soy) but now he's been advised to avoid rice. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction for some reputable literature on what you're advocating.

Thanks
Giant XTC 2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:48 pm

"The Paleo Diet" - Loren Cordain.
"Breaking the vicious cycle" - Elaine Gottschall.

These are the "science" books, but there are recipes in them as well. There's a stack of web resources out there as well, once you know what you are looking for.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:45 pm

twizzle wrote:For my rides, I'm just mixing up glucodin (pure glocose) and cordial powder (no sugars), about 30 - 40gm per 700ml bidon. I tried adding fructose as well, but I don't seem to tolerate that at all now. Or it wasn't pure fructose, because I'm not having problems with fruit.
where do you get cordial powder with no sugars? does it have artifical sweeteners? if so, must be really sweet tasting after adding glucose.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:51 pm

PawPaw wrote:
twizzle wrote:For my rides, I'm just mixing up glucodin (pure glocose) and cordial powder (no sugars), about 30 - 40gm per 700ml bidon. I tried adding fructose as well, but I don't seem to tolerate that at all now. Or it wasn't pure fructose, because I'm not having problems with fruit.
where do you get cordial powder with no sugars? does it have artifical sweeteners? if so, must be really sweet tasting after adding glucose.
Well, I have been buying the "Food Zoo" flavour sticks at woolies, but I was just posting this to someone and checked the ingredients list and it's showing sugar in it... and corn syrup solids! Either I'm really dumb or they changed the ingredients on me.

Yes, tastes very sweet, but you get used to it.

Mapomatic

Postby Mapomatic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:58 pm

I was diagnosed as having ulcerative colitis, another autoimmune related to Crohns and coeliac. My gastrointerologist is adamant that diet has no impact whatsoever on this condition.

What a load of rubbish.

I have been following the SCD diet for over 6 months now and have not experienced any of the worst symptoms in that time, the worst symptoms being on the toilet a dozen times a day, usually with some blood and mucus. I have had some of the lighter symptoms, with include some bloating or stomach growling, but only usually if I've had a couple of cheat meals in a row.

I'd say of the 21 meals i generally eat a week, ie bfast lunch and dinner, one is a cheat, maybe two. Bfast is usually coffee and juice plus cake/almond meal pancakes/fruit and yoghurt/bacon & eggs/baked beans. Lunch is salad with cheese and meat (generally prosciutto or smoked fish as these are SCD legal) and dinner is meat and vegetables. I find Morrocan food a good SCD treat as generally sweetened with dried fruits or honey, and you can make cauliflower rice and vege sides to serve.

I've lost a 10kgs following this diet, and I eat as much as I likem, often grazing thoughout the day on fruit, nuts cheese, carrots. Riding is usually ok, i take a banana and some dried fruit or cake for anything over two hours. I do use Endura even though its SCD illegal, as I find its relatively low in carbs/sugars, but again, only for rides 2hrs +.

I would recommend Breaking the Vicious Cycle for the background, as well as some of the recipes. The date cake and pumpkin biscuits are regular favorites. This website also has some great recipes:
http://milkforthemorningcake.blogspot.com.au/

And this book is Australian, so it has some great recipes for the kinds of food we eat and can easily find.
http://www.elephantpublishing.com/compo ... Itemid,84/

Importantly, invest in a yoghurt maker. I find that if I go a few days without eating the special yoghurt i get bloating and a grumbly tummy. My wife bought the starter culture, but PM me if you're interested and I'll find out where she bought it from. I find beans\lentils are ok, but I do soak them for 24hrs which supposedly helps remove some of the lectins (?).
Last edited by Mapomatic on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Mapomatic wrote:I was diagnosed as having ulcerative colitis, another autoimmune related to Crohns and coeliac. My gastrointerologist is adamant that diet has no impact whatsoever on this condition.

What a load of rubbish.
Yep - my experience as well.
Mapomatic wrote:I find beans\lentils are ok, but I do soak them for 24hrs which supposedly helps remove some of the lectins (?).
I think that was for removal of the water-soluble sugars.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Mapomatic wrote: Importantly, invest in a yoghurt maker. I find that if I go a few days without eating the special yoghurt i get bloating and a grumbly tummy. My wife bought the starter culture, but PM me if you're interested and I'll find out where she bought it from. I find beans\lentils are ok, but I do soak them for 24hrs which supposedly helps remove some of the lectins (?).
Interestingly yoghurt is one of the tings that I was eventually advised to avoid.

I'm sure it works for the condition you have, which is great, but it adds to my point of making sure your properly diagnosed with a condition before taking advice on board. I was advised for ages to add more yoghurt to my diet, turns out it is actually quite a bad idea for quite a few conditions.

Also, those that are interested in this topic in general should read up on Raffinose...
*** insert signature here ***

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Hmmm. Not a lot you can do about that one! Although, if everything is "in balance" it shouldn't be a problem.

I can also recommend Dr Karl's book "Brain Food" - digestion from start to finish. Talks about effects of antibiotics, the life saving poo transplant...

Re. the SCD yoghurt - it's fully fermented one to get rid of all the sugars, I think it's also used as a source of "good" bacteria.

igstar

Postby igstar » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:56 am

hosko wrote:
And yes, no beer for a while....sniff. :(
Fear not, there are a couple of gluten-free beers available. I like O'Brien.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:53 am

Now down 6.5Kg in four weeks and two days. And I spent 1.5 hours this morning doing hill repeats at threshold, two bidons with 40g glucose each + dodgy cordial powder (5g each of actual sugar).

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 pm

I can't eat wheat it irritates me badly. I eat rice and corn as a substitute mainly Basmati rice. For me it flattened my villi and I now have Osteoporosis :( :( Hoping to build some bone mass up, I'm due for a scan now and its FREE :) :)

MM