Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:47 pm

ozdavo wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: buy a small rare earth magnet, this will slip discreetly and firmly onto the inside end of the pedal spindle
unless you have Ti spindle (which I recently found out) in which case the magnets will not stick... But you can always use superglue ;-)
Doh, didn't think of that :oops: Good call Davo.
clackers wrote:Ooh, nice tip, Shaun!
My pleasure mate, It's the little things that stand out :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:09 pm

I will 3rd the excellent suggestion from Mulger Bill, but only if he deals with one of my phobias & tells me what the 4th ugly thing is - 2 white cable ties, 1 ugly cadence magnet, & ??

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Have another look Bruce, you'll see two white cable ties holding the cadence magnet on :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:07 am

Ah- couldn't see that on the iPhone.

Carry on

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Use silicon on your magnet too. Easy to get off. Not so easy with super glue

beij

Postby beij » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Duly noted, I will repost pics on Saturday with stealth improvements. Glad I didn't post pics of my old FM028 with the custom paint job from my 2 and 3 yr old daughters. They like rainbows.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Hey guys I got new blade x carbon clinchers 60 mm. Will put pics and initial review up soon along with my first race on them. So far they are great. Really happy
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

beij

Postby beij » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 am

G'Day beij.

I'd like to say "Damn, that's gorgeous!" but four very ugly things that I admit freely to having a phobia about jumped out and smacked me in the eye.

Please, get some black cable ties to mount the sensor to the seat stay and ditch the magnet hanging off the LH crankarm entirely. Go to your local Jaycar or whatever and buy a small rare earth magnet, this will slip discreetly and firmly onto the inside end of the pedal spindle, move the sensor up a tad to maintain alignment and your stealth profile has just jumped by 30%. 8)

Shaun[/quote]

Stealthed up!
Cheers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osk1kJmzCE

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm

beij wrote:Stealthed up!
Cheers
Luvverly, all objections withdrawn. That faint touch of gold around the headset makes a perfect accent. 14/10 from me! 8)

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:56 pm

redcorpsjames wrote:Hey guys I got new blade x carbon clinchers 60 mm. Will put pics and initial review up soon along with my first race on them. So far they are great. Really happy
where did you buy it from ?

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:18 pm

beij wrote:
Stealthed up!
Cheers
What saddle have you got on there?

beij

Postby beij » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:46 pm

DavidTomic wrote:
beij wrote:
Stealthed up!
Cheers
What saddle have you got on there?
It's a Selle Carbonia Flow SLR, originally on my 29er hardtail but felt horrible, no problems on the new frame - smaller diameter seatpost I guess?

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:56 am

Got an email from Smart (AT) Farsports yesterday saying that my wheels had been finished, and are now ready to be shipped out (hooray!).

They've been built using their new EDhubs, and he's told me that my set is weighing in at 1280g.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 am

Nice one David.

Hopefully they roll as good as they look :wink:

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:47 pm

I have an FM039 coming, will post some build pics once I get started with it. Have some nice (to me) decals coming from the guy in Brazil as well.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:23 pm

doggatas wrote:I have an FM039 coming, will post some build pics once I get started with it. Have some nice (to me) decals coming from the guy in Brazil as well.
Have you ordered your Zipp stickers yet :?:

:mrgreen:

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Nah not yet, I reckon I'll be happy with the factory stealth decals from TWE.B :lol:

Although knowing how much you paid for your zipps locally, I am/was considering getting a set.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I have around 2700 km under my FM039 now and still going strong, excellent value for money IMO.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:29 pm

My FM066SL is on it's way as are my new wheels, well wheel 60mm farsports front and 50mm rim to lace to my new powertap (thank you mr taxman for trusting all my work related deductions).

My FM066SL should even be more stealthy than beij with either set of carbon clinchers, as long as I cover up the EC90 bars, I have the black zip ties and cadence magnet for pedal spindle (cheaper on ebay by the 10) ready.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm

doggatas wrote:Nah not yet, I reckon I'll be happy with the factory stealth decals from TWE.B :lol:

Although knowing how much you paid for your zipps locally, I am/was considering getting a set.
Shhhhhh :mrgreen:

My answer to that of course is go in and ask Mark to order you a set. The price he gives you is what I paid for mine :P

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:32 pm

Here is my review for my recent purchase of bladeX 60mm carbon clinchers.

First impression: When I got them out of the box they seemed very well made for the price I payed. I use to have 50mm carbon tubular chinese wheels and these were way better in all aspects from first glance. The case that they came in was excellent packaging and even though the outside of the box seemed damaged the contents inside was protected in a box that was made especially to hold these wheels.

The wheels were what I expected for paying this amount of money. Novatec hubs come standard on most chinese carbon wheels and are actually pretty good. In comparison to my pro lite braccianos I would say they spin even a little better. The carbon is toray t700 carbon according to BladeX.

From BladeX "Full Carbon Toray T700SC - Why we don't do the cheapest?
Without saying, material is the most important for a rim.
There are 3 main places producing carbon fiber material - Japan, Taiwan and China Mainland. Toray in Japan is the biggest and best carbon producer in the world, we use Toray T700SC from Toray for all of our rims, although Toray product price are almost 2X than those in Taiwan and 3X than China Mainland. Comparing the durability and stiffness it brings, it's definitely worth".

In terms of stiffness I can feel a bit of flex when compared to my alloy wheels, but is not all that much. I raced on them this arvo and they handled high speed sprints and downhill bombs very well. My average on the downhill section of this particular race course was a little higher, doubt it was the wheels, but lets just say it was for now.

Mr BladeX the owner/builder emailed me and we discussed what my preferences were for the wheels. Like spokes, hubs and rim finish. Overall he was very helpful. They are not the lightest wheels out there at 1750gm, however I like to think that this is because these wheels have thicker walls on the rim as it says on the wheel page http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BladeX-ROAD- ... 362wt_1270

I would recommend this small ebay seller, they are building quality wheels unlike some other Chinese ebay sellers.
Here are some pics of my wheels after today's race

Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Came home this afternoon and found my wheels waiting for me.

1280g naked out of the box.

By the time I had them fully rigged up (rim tape, tubes/tyres & cassette), they were weighing in at 2120g (870 front, 1250 rear).

I've only taken them for a spin around the block so far, but initial impressions are very good.

I can definitely feel a difference compared to the old wheels, which were over a kilo heavier.

jheeno

Postby jheeno » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:58 am

DavidTomic wrote:Came home this afternoon and found my wheels waiting for me.

1280g naked out of the box.

By the time I had them fully rigged up (rim tape, tubes/tyres & cassette), they were weighing in at 2120g (870 front, 1250 rear).

I've only taken them for a spin around the block so far, but initial impressions are very good.

I can definitely feel a difference compared to the old wheels, which were over a kilo heavier.
where did you buy yours from ?

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:59 am

jheeno wrote: where did you buy yours from ?
farsports.cn

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:28 am

Haven't listed it in the marketplace yet, but if anyone is interested in a 54cm FM028 ISP F&F for $250 PM me, there are pics a few pages back. It's making way for the new frame.