Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

qeaou

Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

Postby qeaou » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:24 pm

Haven't found a thread dedicated to speedplays yet.

Upgraded from Ultegras after bad knee pain. Went throught look keo's in the meantime.
(of course checked first if it was an issue with alignment)
My knees felt great afterwards, really love them.
but what is YOUR experience with them?

One thing I know, for my Shimano carbon shoes with 3 screws, the 4 screw thingy was always coming loose,
until i bought stainless steel screws which were a bit longer from this guy http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speedplay-Pe ... 500wt_1131

and it worked like a charm.

have you used them?
I am thinking about upgrading from zeros chrome to stainless steel or titanium,
have you noticed the difference?

steve-waters

Re: Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

Postby steve-waters » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:36 am

peaou - to be honest unless they run different bearings (even then you may struggle) you wont notice a difference, the beauty of these pedals is not in the spindle material but the free float as you know.

If you are after the bling then go fore it but for performance save the dollars.....

Oh and yes I love my Speedplays I use them on my commuter and watching all the guys getting their Shimanos clipped in after a the lights is very funny while I just drop my foot down and away I go.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 pm

steve-waters wrote:peaou - to be honest unless they run different bearings (even then you may struggle) you wont notice a difference, the beauty of these pedals is not in the spindle material but the free float as you know.

If you are after the bling then go fore it but for performance save the dollars.....

Oh and yes I love my Speedplays I use them on my commuter and watching all the guys getting their Shimanos clipped in after a the lights is very funny while I just drop my foot down and away I go.
I use the X-series speedplays. The X1 and X2 run the same bearings I believe. The X5 (steel axle) run a cheaper bearing.

I presume the same method would apply for the Zero series.

You're not going to notice any difference between all three, its just a very small weight difference. If you have issues with screws comming loose use some locktite. The bearings in the X1 and X2 appear to be more durable however if you keep the service up to them they all last almost indefinitely, I've been using them for 8 years and have never changed a set of bearings yet although I have smashed a couple of pedals in crashes.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Speedplays are my first and current pedals. Have placed >6000km on them and have not yet serviced them at all. I had a crash over a year ago and that screwed up the bolt on the tip where you put more grease in but have not noticed and side affects so have just kept using them.

When I replace these, it'll just be with another set.

Once you go speedplay, you don't go back :D
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:57 pm

It does feel good to push the clean grease in and watch the dirty junk come out the other side on my zeros.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm

NhiTrac wrote:Speedplays are my first and current pedals. Have placed >6000km on them and have not yet serviced them at all. I had a crash over a year ago and that screwed up the bolt on the tip where you put more grease in but have not noticed and side affects so have just kept using them.

You should be able to buy that part as long as the pedal body is OK - I think its referred to as the "dust cover" - I would change it as thats what seals up the bearings otherwise you'll end up with rubbish in there that'll kill them...

Also at 6000km you're probably way past due for a service. I'm quite sure the reason mine have lasted so long is because I service them pretty regular. The best way to check, if you flick the pedal with your hand and it spins around somewhat freely then they need grease.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:23 pm

I run the SS axles, but that's because I run 1/2" longer spindles and they only come in stainless. I also wear out a set of pedal bodies every 12 - 18 months of use - the plastic body isn't that durable and the cleat/pedal fit gets sloppy. I just buy another CrMo set, rip the pedal bodies off and fit them to the SS axles. It's cheaper than a pedal rebuild kit, and I get a free set of cleats. There is no difference in the bearings between the CrMo and SS Zero family.

And 'yes', there has been a thread on speedplays.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:Speedplays are my first and current pedals. Have placed >6000km on them and have not yet serviced them at all. I had a crash over a year ago and that screwed up the bolt on the tip where you put more grease in but have not noticed and side affects so have just kept using them.

You should be able to buy that part as long as the pedal body is OK - I think its referred to as the "dust cover" - I would change it as thats what seals up the bearings otherwise you'll end up with rubbish in there that'll kill them...

Also at 6000km you're probably way past due for a service. I'm quite sure the reason mine have lasted so long is because I service them pretty regular. The best way to check, if you flick the pedal with your hand and it spins around somewhat freely then they need grease.
The body is a bit damaged as the cap has actually been embedded at a 45 degree angle into the body, due to the force of my crash.

The reason why I haven't changed them is due to the 'test' I perform. It still spins several cycles freely! :mrgreen:

I'm actually waiting for it to grind to a halt so I can get a new set...
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:49 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
The body is a bit damaged as the cap has actually been embedded at a 45 degree angle into the body, due to the force of my crash.

The reason why I haven't changed them is due to the 'test' I perform. It still spins several cycles freely! :mrgreen:

I'm actually waiting for it to grind to a halt so I can get a new set...
If it spins around several times freely when you flick it - that means they need grease. When serviced they will only spin about half a turn when you flick them.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:31 pm

Yep what jacks said no more than about half to full turn

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:55 pm

steve-waters wrote:Yep what jacks said no more than about half to full turn
Haha all I know is that mine are still great after 6000k with no service :mrgreen:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:08 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
Haha all I know is that mine are still great after 6000k with no service :mrgreen:
Yep, and changing the oil in your car is a waste of time as well :-)

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi,
Just got around to putting on my speedplays I have had sitting in the cupboard.

Will be interesting to try them out in the morning, just not sure on how small the surface are is to find.

Is there any adjustments on them for how hard it is to clip in and out?

Only thing I could find was heel in or heel out screw.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Got rid of my junk Look Keo2's a few months ago and my Speedplays are fantastic.

They were a bitch to 'break-in' as engaging them was very difficult but now it's all good.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:37 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:
Yep, and changing the oil in your car is a waste of time as well :-)
Lol that I don't do!

Nah I dont service it due to the damage mentioned above so I thought it'll die on me at anytime, cept it kept on going! I'm literally running these into the ground so I can get a new pair, which I will look after properly :wink:
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:51 am

NhiTrac wrote:Nah I dont service it due to the damage mentioned above so I thought it'll die on me at anytime, cept it kept on going! I'm literally running these into the ground so I can get a new pair, which I will look after properly :wink:
Assuming you don't have the CrMo spindles... buy the approriate Torx driver, buy a set of CrMo pedals (the 'cheap' version), swap the pedal bodies onto your spindles. It's an absolute bitch to get the bolts out of the spindles (loctite'd in place), but they always come out in the end.

And for everyone else...
Get this grease gun.
Always use the wear plate, even when using the plastic platform.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 pm

twizzle wrote:
NhiTrac wrote:Nah I dont service it due to the damage mentioned above so I thought it'll die on me at anytime, cept it kept on going! I'm literally running these into the ground so I can get a new pair, which I will look after properly :wink:
Assuming you don't have the CrMo spindles... buy the approriate Torx driver, buy a set of CrMo pedals (the 'cheap' version), swap the pedal bodies onto your spindles. It's an absolute bitch to get the bolts out of the spindles (loctite'd in place), but they always come out in the end.

And for everyone else...
Get this grease gun.
Always use the wear plate, even when using the plastic platform.
Really? ive done heaps.... and usually find them pretty easy...

Put pedal body in a vice or clamp and use the appropriate sized torx bit on a wrench. If your unable to easily overcome the blue loctite on the thread then use a soldering iron on the bolt head to make it nice and easy....

When you wear out the Speedplays, dont bother buying new pedals, just buy the bearings and spindles separately.... titanium spindles are $60 or $70 a pair, and bearings are about $1.50 each (needle and cartridge). Takes about 5 minutes, and a little bit of care to swap out all the bearings (3 in each pedal) and the spindle.

FOr those who swap out the Crmo spindles to SS or titanium, quite often u will find they end up quite grainy, because the cartridge bearings mate to the spindle, even in new pedals.... so its always a good idea to swap out the cartridge bearings when putting in the new spindles ($3 & less than a minute to do)...
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:When you wear out the Speedplays, dont bother buying new pedals, just buy the bearings and spindles separately.... titanium spindles are $60 or $70 a pair, and bearings are about $1.50 each (needle and cartridge). Takes about 5 minutes, and a little bit of care to swap out all the bearings (3 in each pedal) and the spindle.
Never worn out the bearings, but have worn out the pedal body itself on two sets of pedals now.

And where the heck are you getting spindles for $60 - $70? My three sets of SS (1/2" longer) set me back $120 - $130 a pair.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:50 pm

twizzle wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:When you wear out the Speedplays, dont bother buying new pedals, just buy the bearings and spindles separately.... titanium spindles are $60 or $70 a pair, and bearings are about $1.50 each (needle and cartridge). Takes about 5 minutes, and a little bit of care to swap out all the bearings (3 in each pedal) and the spindle.
Never worn out the bearings, but have worn out the pedal body itself on two sets of pedals now.

And where the heck are you getting spindles for $60 - $70? My three sets of SS (1/2" longer) set me back $120 - $130 a pair.
Twizzle - you can get aftermarket Ti axles for cheap - the places don't advertise them much because I think Speedplay threatened to sue everyone making them but fish around on Weight Weenies and you'll find one.

Second question for you - how do you determine that the pedal body is worn? I've always found mine to be tight as with new cleats but I might be missing something...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:10 pm

twizzle wrote:

wearing out the pedal bodies? the plastic bit? really? i havent seen too many of them wear out, seen lots demolished in crashes...
ill PM where to get the bits and pieces cheap from...

As jacks said, u wont see it openly linked much now days as SP are quite over officious when it comes to aftermarket stuff....

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:wearing out the pedal bodies? the plastic bit? really? i havent seen too many of them wear out, seen lots demolished in crashes...
ill PM where to get the bits and pieces cheap from...

As jacks said, u wont see it openly linked much now days as SP are quite over officious when it comes to aftermarket stuff....
Yep - eventually the top surface gets worn off on the inner/outer edges and you can rock your foot from side-to-side. Not everyone does this, apparently, same as not everyone gets wear on the base plate. If you are the 'perfect' cyclist and the foot angle never changes during a crank revolution, and there is no relative movement between pedal body and cleat, there is no problem - but you wouldn't need any float either, so speedplays would be a waste. But my 'everyday' pedal bodies are lasting about two years/24,000-ish K's. The ones on the bike at the moment are fairly worn... can't be bothered changing them yet, but they are noticeably worn. Shame speedplay doesn't have the 'butterfly' plates covering the inner/outer edges, but then people would probably never need to buy new pedals, just cleats. Same goes for the cleats, we need someone to start making bottom plates from stainless so they don't wear out so quickly.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:06 pm

NhiTrac wrote:Once you go speedplay, you don't go back :D
I trialled them many years ago, and was one of the few that did not like them much. I went back to my trusty Campag Pro-Fit. But I also far preferred to have zero float, which while you can set that on the SP, it was never the same as my Campag pedals with no float cleats. Now days I use floating cleat on my prosthetic side, fixed on regular leg side.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:09 pm

I don't care for Speedplay pedals at all, but my wife uses 'em.

Interestingly she pointed out that Sidi's top of the line Ergo and Genius shoes are now available with a Speedplay-specific sole.

So I think I know what my wife is expecting to find in her xmas stocking this year...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:36 pm

twizzle wrote:Shame speedplay doesn't have the 'butterfly' plates covering the inner/outer edges, but then people would probably never need to buy new pedals, just cleats. Same goes for the cleats, we need someone to start making bottom plates from stainless so they don't wear out so quickly.
SP do but plenty also make aftermarket "bowties"...
Have a search on WW u will find plenty who replace them with Ti ones to weightweenie up their pedals!
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:54 pm

Do you need speedplay specific shoes or can you get adaptors?

Cheers