Rack for Front Suspension on a MTB

RonK

Re: Rack for Front Suspension on a MTB

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Dirt Works wrote:
RonK wrote:So, does that mean the RRP of a LHT has actually gone down? Last time I looked at my LBS they were quoting $2200.
Pretty much.

The rrp has been slowly creeping down over the last year or so, as the AUD creeps up and new shipments arrive purchased at the new exchange rate.

Elvis.
Well, it is gratifying to see a least some distributors are willing to pass on the benefits of the strong $AUD. Chapeau!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

bostonceltics

Postby bostonceltics » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Dirt Works wrote:
RonK wrote:BTW Elvis - what's happening with the Dirt Works page? I went there recently to check the RRP of a Surly LHT and found...nothing. It's a bit frustrating.
No probs. I've always preferred to enter forums as "Dirt Works" (or DW-1 on Rotorburn). Makes everything much more transparent.

re: the website... the consumer viewable section of the site is taking longer than the B2B section did. Probably still about 4-5 weeks away. Promises from site developers... *sigh*

(FWIW - the rrp on the Long Haul Trucker (complete) is $1549).

Elvis.
Love the Long Haul Trucker, best Touring bike on the planet, sounds like a great price actually!

Dirt Works

Postby Dirt Works » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:24 am

bostonceltics wrote:Love the Long Haul Trucker, best Touring bike on the planet, sounds like a great price actually!
ok... see now here I'm personally torn.

I own a Long Haul Trucker. And I can't fault it as a no nonsense, tourer & commuter.

But I also have a Fargo... and oh how I love that bike. I'm running 29" x 2.0" Marathon tyres for commuting but I can chuck 2.4" knobbies on for off roading. (and it can run a suspension fork if I want - which makes it more all-purpose for me personally)

Elvis.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Got a chance today to install my Tubus Swing front rack on my Giant XTC 2 in preparation for a short bikepacking trip late next month (if all goes to plan).

Yet to ride it but I had one pannier filled with a bag of food and did notice the weight when I was wheeling the bike around for the photo shoot. Will be interesting to see how it goes in the wild.

A couple of photos. More photos can be found in my Google+ album.

Regards
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:Yet to ride it but I had one pannier filled with a bag of food and did notice the weight when I was wheeling the bike around for the photo shoot. Will be interesting to see how it goes in the wild.
One pannier will always destabilise a front end. Put two on it and the steering will be quite well-balanced. The Swing does place the bags a bit high for ideal steering balance, but it cannot be avoided easily with a suspension rig.

There is always the Faiv Hoogar rack from Germany with its sliding mounts, that I mentioned earlier in this thread, but it is expensive at well over 200 Euros.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 pm

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Yet to ride it but I had one pannier filled with a bag of food and did notice the weight when I was wheeling the bike around for the photo shoot. Will be interesting to see how it goes in the wild.
One pannier will always destabilise a front end. Put two on it and the steering will be quite well-balanced.
Ahh I did have two panniers on the bike (see photo :)). I was just commenting on the weight being noticeable ... not destabilising the front end.

Andrew