2012 Magpie Season

Alycat

2012 Magpie Season

Postby Alycat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:22 am

Couldn't believe it - yesterday, July :shock: :shock: The old McGrath's Hill Bunnings magpie got me on the way out, bang on the back of the neck, had to use my pump on the way back.

Think he has moved about 50 metres towards Windsor...
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...

TimW

Re: 2012 Magpie Season

Postby TimW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:48 am

That'll serve you right for straying off the M7 Cycleway Ken :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He is a bastard. got me many times in the past, i will continue to take the detour around the back onto the bridge when next out that way.

Brownster

Postby Brownster » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:06 am

Its that time of the year for the McGraths Hill detour round the back to start happening.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:08 am

Saw a maggie flying towards a tree on the commute route wi twig/nesting material I beak this morn. Made me think that it's time to be cautious soon. They are setting up for the coming season of bombing runs.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Alycat

Postby Alycat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:27 am

TimW wrote:That'll serve you right for straying off the M7 Cycleway Ken :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Didn't ride all last week, bad cold, so thought a nice flat 60k, and I wanted to stop at the Rouse Hill bike shop... and it is only July! :(
Problem with acronyms is one acronym can have several meanings.. so I joined USA, Unique Standard Acronyms which is enforcing one acronym=one meaning.... powerful group, I saw Obama is president...

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Already???? Give us some time to train you stupid magpies!! Ahh well, I think that night time training program is looking better and better now.

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 pm

There has been 1 luftwaffa swooping since easter, greta rd Wangaratta Vic. I first thought it was a plova but last week kept eyes in the back of my head and seen the magie coming 4 me. Simple wave of the hand around the helmet and kept it at a hovering distance.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Alycat wrote:
TimW wrote:That'll serve you right for straying off the M7 Cycleway Ken :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Didn't ride all last week, bad cold, so thought a nice flat 60k, and I wanted to stop at the Rouse Hill bike shop... and it is only July! :(

Took a ride out there myself today , and successfully dodged the little bugger!
http://app.strava.com/rides/15808663

great day for it.Tim

Alycat

Postby Alycat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:09 pm

TimW wrote:Took a ride out there myself today , and successfully dodged the little bugger!
Dodged? I am not interested in hearing how you dodged the problem, I want to hear how you have eliminated the problem. :roll: :roll:

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:17 pm

Alycat wrote:
TimW wrote:Took a ride out there myself today , and successfully dodged the little bugger!
Dodged? I am not interested in hearing how you dodged the problem, I want to hear how you have eliminated the problem. :roll: :roll:
comon mate. on a forum such as this you are supposed to appreciate the birds and the bee's, love nature, be a part of critical mass,hate motorists and ute drivers,and be critical of all in power.Leave the poor misguided and misunderstood Magpie alone lol :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Alycat

Postby Alycat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:29 pm

I thought long and hard before posting, I mentioned eliminating the "problem" not the magpie :D For all I know you might have thought about relocating him to a better home :D

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:01 pm

Alycat wrote:I thought long and hard before posting, I mentioned eliminating the "problem" not the magpie :D For all I know you might have thought about relocating him to a better home :D
What "Heaven"? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

might cya out there tomorrow Ken , Not heaven lol....the M7 :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Don't forget to post yer scores HERE alycat, sounds like you're up to 3 points already :(

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Magpies=vermin !

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:11 pm

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Magpies=vermin !
Naaah, they do what all good parents do, just with more gusto than sometimes necessary.

My locals all love me and bring their bubs to say G'Day. They eat outta my hands too. Haven't been swooped in a 5km radius of the house in yonks. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:08 am

Has anyone tried wearing a mirror finish helmet? Reason being is that if it's that shiny, could they see another magpie (ie themselves) and avoid swooping too close? Also being so shiny, would reflect the sun a bit.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:31 am

Mulger bill wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote:Magpies=vermin !
Naaah, they do what all good parents do, just with more gusto than sometimes necessary.

My locals all love me and bring their bubs to say G'Day. They eat outta my hands too. Haven't been swooped in a 5km radius of the house in yonks. :D
One swooped my 9yr old last year, drew blood, need to shoot or poison that bastard of a thing.
He was riding along a path, not in it's nest and certainly minding his own business.
Really upset and scared him.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Oh boo-hoo! It's all part of the growing-up process isn't it? A bit of blood here, a scratch and scrape there......your kid hasn't live until he's put a drill through the back of his hand or shot himself in the leg with a nail gun. Magpie strike is nothing except a badge of honour for show and tell at school.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:17 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Oh boo-hoo! It's all part of the growing-up process isn't it? A bit of blood here, a scratch and scrape there......your kid hasn't live until he's put a drill through the back of his hand or shot himself in the leg with a nail gun. Magpie strike is nothing except a badge of honour for show and tell at school.
Yes, I guess it would be a badge of honor at show'n'tell to remove his eye patch and show the empty socket where his eye used to be.
There was a notorious bird in my area that regularly attacked the eyes. Several cyclists received serious eye injuries, a bit more than a little scratch and a bit of blood.
In recent years a young child was killed when he ran onto the road whilst trying to evade a magpie attack, but I guess it must have been his own fault for entering magpie territory.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:09 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Oh boo-hoo! It's all part of the growing-up process isn't it? A bit of blood here, a scratch and scrape there......your kid hasn't live until he's put a drill through the back of his hand or shot himself in the leg with a nail gun. Magpie strike is nothing except a badge of honour for show and tell at school.
You sir, are a knob ! And if you indeed drilled through the back of your hand and shot yourself with a nail gun, karma seems to be dealing you a fine hand that you obviously deserved :D

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Not me, I was too clever. I actually liked setting things alight (paddock, next door neighbour's shed, that kind of thing). This is my friend's son I'm talking about.

And a knob? I've been called worse and often in languages other than English. I still don't know what that German soldier was saying when he pointed an M-16 at me but I don't think it was pleasant.

Balance nature by buying your kid a pair of safety glasses or sunnies and tell him to harden up.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Yeah, knob was a general poke at your humour (glad you seen it that way) .
I laughed at him crying but mum wasn't too chuffed at me so I clammed up and laughed on the inside :D

Ps, what was a kraut doing pointing a cheap American rifle at you ? Don't those buggers use steyr ( think they did when I was a squadie)
Last edited by wurtulla wabbit on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:49 pm

I haven't encountered any yet. I try to feed the local ones around where I ride in the hope that it might make them more friendly towards me. :lol:

westab

Postby westab » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:20 pm

g-boaf wrote:I haven't encountered any yet. I try to feed the local ones around where I ride in the hope that it might make them more friendly towards me. :lol:
Good luck with that - hope it works as the one that I see near my work swoops me on the bike but when I walk through the carpark it leaves me alone (I don't feed it). The one at home will also swoop me on my bike but will eat worms out of my hand (even when wearing cycle gear) he just seems to hate the bike. :roll:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:09 pm

ive been semi swooped from late july, one around newport (northern beaches) and one near freshwater. I always forget that sound they make before you get attacked, you know that magpie cry, or you hear their young close by and its too late.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.