Bike Track for new rider

liquor box

Bike Track for new rider

Postby liquor box » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi,

Just wanting some advice on an easy bike track off the road that would be flat and in good condition.

I am buying my wife a flat bar roadie and she has not riden a bike for about 15 years (never used gears) and I think would be better off the road to start. I live at Springfield and it is a bit hilly out here for someone starting out who is not yet fit.

Where is the best flat track to use?

I remember driving past a bike track at Murrarie or Morningside that looked like a flat area, but I have not been there on my bike. Is this area good for a ride? I am wanting to be able to ride for about 15 minutes out and 15 minutes back to start with and eventually build to about 30-45 minutes each way.

My main concern is that my wife enjoys herself as if she is happy then I get more chance to ride.

I was also thinking along the river in Brisbane, it is quite busy but quite flat next to the river.

I am happy to drive 30 minutes to get to a good area.

Thanks for any help

bprb

Re: Bike Track for new rider

Postby bprb » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi liquor box,

The Murrarie and Nundah criterium tracks are good if there are no races on, but can perhaps be daunting for a newbie if fast folks are training hard. The Jim Soorley bike and pedestrian path along Shultz Canal at Nundah (starting at the Albert Bishop criterim track) is a great option, but it's a bit of a drive from Springfield, and can sometimes have some varied users on it.

I really think your best option to begin with is the Centenary Highway bike path — it's near you, off road and at that end it's probably quieter than anything else you'll find. The end of the track is currently at Julie Rd, where it goes under the Centenary Highway, just past the Logan Motorway. The path goes toward Brisbane, on the left of Centenary Motorway, and is flat until you get to Progress Rd. At that point you can cross the highway using the Progress Rd footpath and continue on the flat bike path toward the city past Richlands train station and the Lions soccer club at Richlands, until you get to Boundary Rd. That stretch of path is a great place to get familiar with the bike, and gain some fitness. When you get sick of that, you can explore further by taking the not-so-obvious continuation left into Boundary Rd, turn right into Bakery Rd and follow it until it goes under Ipswich Motorway, then right on the service road back toward Centenary Highway until you reach the bike path again. Next thing you know you'll be riding to Brisbane CBD!

I'm not sure how easy Julie Rd is to get to by car, so if it's easier you could park near Richlands station and ride back and forth from there.

liquor box

Postby liquor box » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:13 am

bprb wrote:Hi liquor box,

The Murrarie and Nundah criterium tracks are good if there are no races on, but can perhaps be daunting for a newbie if fast folks are training hard. The Jim Soorley bike and pedestrian path along Shultz Canal at Nundah (starting at the Albert Bishop criterim track) is a great option, but it's a bit of a drive from Springfield, and can sometimes have some varied users on it.

I really think your best option to begin with is the Centenary Highway bike path — it's near you, off road and at that end it's probably quieter than anything else you'll find. The end of the track is currently at Julie Rd, where it goes under the Centenary Highway, just past the Logan Motorway. The path goes toward Brisbane, on the left of Centenary Motorway, and is flat until you get to Progress Rd. At that point you can cross the highway using the Progress Rd footpath and continue on the flat bike path toward the city past Richlands train station and the Lions soccer club at Richlands, until you get to Boundary Rd. That stretch of path is a great place to get familiar with the bike, and gain some fitness. When you get sick of that, you can explore further by taking the not-so-obvious continuation left into Boundary Rd, turn right into Bakery Rd and follow it until it goes under Ipswich Motorway, then right on the service road back toward Centenary Highway until you reach the bike path again. Next thing you know you'll be riding to Brisbane CBD!

I'm not sure how easy Julie Rd is to get to by car, so if it's easier you could park near Richlands station and ride back and forth from there.
I usually start my rides at Julie Rd, only 2 min from home. I was thinking of just riding to the train station and back a few times and then going further.

I think I will keep Mt Ommanney and the rise out of the river/fig tree pocket for a later date.

BTW- Julie RD to Mt Cootha and back is 53.5km- and it is a tough ride home in the westerly winds :D

bprb

Postby bprb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:49 am

Good to hear you know the path from Julie Rd. I think that's the safest, quietest spot for your wife to get familiar with the bike. It's not that scenic though. Once she's had a few rides, I'd suggest a drive to Toowong, so you can ride the Coro drive bike path, and you can add the south side (e.g. Kangaroo Pt, or West End) by riding across the Goodwill or Go Between bridges. Have fun!