Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Tandem

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby Tandem » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:35 am

rifraf wrote:I just today ordered (from bike24) an E-werk and its battery pack.
I really could have done with it on my NSW to WA tour.
I found my Garmin was dead weight without recharging ability.
Looking forward to its arrival and hoping its not too extended a wait. :)
Hopeful it might be able to charge my old nokia phone as well.
I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase. I used the same setup on last years tour and never had to sit around and waiting to charge the Garmin.

I never used paper maps as I had planned a rough route and loaded them on the GPS from the small computer I took with me, which had a battery life of 10 h ( mainly for doing the journal on CGOAB )

One thing I learned very quickly is to take the Garmin of its auto routing as it sometimes played havoc when I went of the route for sightseeing

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:19 am

Tandem wrote:[

I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase. I used the same setup on last years tour and never had to sit around and waiting to charge the Garmin.

I never used paper maps as I had planned a rough route and loaded them on the GPS from the small computer I took with me, which had a battery life of 10 h ( mainly for doing the journal on CGOAB )

One thing I learned very quickly is to take the Garmin of its auto routing as it sometimes played havoc when I went of the route for sightseeing
I hope so.
I've yet to really utilise and learn to properly use my Garmin but now I've moved to a new
state (WA) I'll get ample opportunity too I'm sure.
I just got my shipment notice from Bike24 saying its coming via DHL.
Heres hoping they (DHL) dont try it on and try for a "customs fee" which they've been known to do. :x
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:17 pm

I think ze Germans must have reverted to courier pigeon for my package.
No update on their track n trace since last Saturday which is frustrating to
say the least. :(
They started with a hiss and a roar but then.............

Fri, 20.07.12 17:03 h
--

The instruction data for this shipment have been provided by the sender to DHL electronically
Fri, 20.07.12 18:05 h
Ottendorf-Okrilla, Germany

The international shipment has been processed in the parcel center of origin
Sat, 21.07.12 04:43 h
Saulheim, Germany

The international shipment has been processed in the export parcel center
Sat, 21.07.12 13:36 h
IPZ-Ffm, Germany

The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. (Homepage / online shipment tracking: http://auspost.com.au/track/)

baghwan

Postby baghwan » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:33 pm

rifraf wrote:I think ze Germans must have reverted to courier pigeon for my package.
Just got some Ortlieb bags from Evans, took 3 days from the UK, was a little amazed since it was free shipping.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:59 pm

baghwan wrote:
rifraf wrote:I think ze Germans must have reverted to courier pigeon for my package.
Just got some Ortlieb bags from Evans, took 3 days from the UK, was a little amazed since it was free shipping.
I'm still waiting and it's been over a week from Evan's

Rifraf keep waiting, then you will see it hit australia and then wait 5 more days
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Rifraf keep waiting, then you will see it hit australia and then wait 5 more days
:shock: :roll:

Thanks for the heads up :!:
Just as well I'm not holding my breath.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:29 pm

baghwan wrote:
Nice to see the Poms still beating ze Germans :wink:

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:20 pm

I'm in Germany now. Hooked up my new E-werk yesterday evening to see how it works. Still trying to work out the best way of mounting it on the frame as I am also using the B&M cockpit mount and also a medium size Ortlieb handle bar bag. I've got the cockpit mount on the stem with some bike tube wrapped around to help mount it on. I also have to figure out where/how I will mount my GoPro camera to the bike/myself. Might try putting it on the front rack hoop.

I noticed in the instruction manual it says that the E-werk setting for USB devices is 4.9V and 0.5A. However I see on my phone charger and in my phone (HTC Desire HD) the setting is for 5V and 1A. Does this mean that it wont be charging as quickly as it could, safely? Could I crank the settings up to 4.9V and 1A instead?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:02 am

Good to hear you've made it to Germany with hopefully only minor damage to the bike. Eagerly awaiting on-road reports of your adventures on the VWR. Good luck.
I mounted my E werk to the top tube with the connectors facing forwards. The wire from the dynamo I cable tied to the forks at the brazed-on fittings and then one more cable tie to the steel loop on the headlight mount and ran the wire around the left side of the head tube. Seems to work well with no interference or binding on full lock turns. The outlet wire I just run straight up to my handlebar bag for the phone, or to the stem mounted GPS, without any fixings.
Regarding Amp settings, I had the same thoughts/doubts as you. I checked with a bloke in an electronics shop and he recommended matching the Voltage and Amperage as closely as possible to the output of the device/'s charger pack, but stay on the lower side if you can't match it up exactly. Reason being that the wires and connectors can get hot if the device is drawing more Amperage than the E werk is set to supply. I've been running my GPS and Nokia phone at 4.9 Volts and 1 Amp for a few months now with no ill consequences.
Keep us posted on the tour. good luck!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:41 pm

Baalzamon wrote: Rifraf keep waiting, then you will see it hit australia and then wait 5 more days
There has finally been an update on the DHL tracking.
My package (e-werk and catche battery) has hit Aussie soil at long last.
Hopefully only another five days or so now to get hold of it. :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:56 pm

Will probably arrive tomorrow :wink: . What happened with my Rohloff Speedhub, after a 7 week wait - it was worth it
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

JJBLOOD

Postby JJBLOOD » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:18 am

I have the THE PLUG by Tout Terrain with Dyno Hub Supernova Infinity 8 and they work perfectly together.

THE PLUG is exactly the same when is manufactured by Supernova or Tout Terrain, just changes the Logo.

Supernova Infinity 8
I recomend this Dyno.. I think is the only one that you can turn it on or off… I mean the only one that when the Dyno is turned off friction disappear and you have a normal Hub without friction.

Im looking for an external battery but it´s been difficult to me to find it... I think is better to charge the battery along the day and charge all your devices once you are camped..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 am

You could get a Power Monkey Extreme. It's a large battery, but it will fit neatly in its case inside a handlebar bag and it has enough juice (9000mA) to recharge an ipad, or recharge your mobile phone several times over. It's waterproof, shockproof and, for the fashionistas, is available in five different colours. It comes with its own small solar panel to recharge, that fits inside the case; can be recharged from the mains power, or from your dynohub; and it comes with a huge range of connectors for almost any conceivable device. Review here.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:49 am

JJBLOOD wrote:I recomend this Dyno.. I think is the only one that you can turn it on or off… I mean the only one that when the Dyno is turned off friction disappear and you have a normal Hub without friction.... Im looking for an external battery but it´s been difficult to me to find it... I think is better to charge the battery along the day and charge all your devices once you are camped..
Good to see one of these Supernova (SP?) hubs in action ... they are still on my short list for my commuter. How long have you been using yours? How do you find the drag? Any vibration issues?

I also like the neatness of the Plug but went with the PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable on my Surly Long Haul Trucker as it came with the battery option, handy for off the bike charging and for buffering the charge through to the Garmin Edge 800 etc. O might consider a Plug down the track for Audax rides etc.

Andrew
Andrew

iacl

Postby iacl » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 pm

il padrone wrote:You could get a Power Monkey Extreme. It's a large battery, but it will fit neatly in its case inside a handlebar bag and it has enough juice (9000mA) to recharge an ipad, or recharge your mobile phone several times over. It's waterproof, shockproof and, for the fashionistas, is available in five different colours. It comes with its own small solar panel to recharge, that fits inside the case; can be recharged from the mains power, or from your dynohub; and it comes with a huge range of connectors for almost any conceivable device. Review here.

It can also be charge via the Plug 2 (usb charging option). Great back up option for the odd lay day as well.

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:23 pm

JJBLOOD wrote:I have the THE PLUG by Tout Terrain with Dyno Hub Supernova Infinity 8 and they work perfectly together.

THE PLUG is exactly the same when is manufactured by Supernova or Tout Terrain, just changes the Logo.

Supernova Infinity 8
I recomend this Dyno.. I think is the only one that you can turn it on or off… I mean the only one that when the Dyno is turned off friction disappear and you have a normal Hub without friction.

Im looking for an external battery but it´s been difficult to me to find it... I think is better to charge the battery along the day and charge all your devices once you are camped..
Just a couple of things;

The idea of that hub is all good, but it's heavy. 660g vs 399g for the infinity s. I don't see enough advantage in switching it of to justify that weight; in my opinion, the drag is not noticeable either way. That said, it's a very well made hub.

Also, I'm currently touring and have the Dahon Biologic Reecharge, charging from a SONdeluxe. I use my Samsung Galaxy S2 to record each day's ride on Strava, and this chews through a fair bit of power. I found out early in the trip that the fully charged Reecharge wasn't able to completely charge my phone overnight. I've also find this with a backup battery for my ultrabook (not brought on this trip); plugging the extra battery in when the computer battery was fully charged gave me 11hrs use, where as letting the computer go flat and then plugging in the battery gave me about 7-8hrs. I think it's to do with the way batteries connected together will both equalise. Yes, these devices have electronics to counter this, but I don't think it's perfect.

What I've found is that I'm better of charging the device as I ride, aiming to have it fully charged by the end of the ride. The best results have been letting the phone get down to 90% charge, then recharging, then letting the battery recharge while the phone is no longer charging. This seems to keep both batteries holding a good charge, although it might not be so good for the battery's life expectancy.

Just what I'm finding on this trip...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:46 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:The idea of that hub is all good, but it's heavy. 660g vs 399g for the infinity s. I don't see enough advantage in switching it of to justify that weight; in my opinion, the drag is not noticeable either way. That said, it's a very well made hub.
Good point and of course if you go to Shutter Precision there are other options as well, which are possibly lighter.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:Also, I'm currently touring and have the Dahon Biologic Reecharge, charging from a SONdeluxe.

What I've found is that I'm better of charging the device as I ride, aiming to have it fully charged by the end of the ride. The best results have been letting the phone get down to 90% charge, then recharging, then letting the battery recharge while the phone is no longer charging. This seems to keep both batteries holding a good charge, although it might not be so good for the battery's life expectancy.
Yes, I have the Reecharge and use the same method - start with both phone and battery fully charged and keep 'em both topped up. Works fine with my iPhone.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:12 am

I have a question about hub outputs and device charging:

These hubs all quote pretty much the same output of 3v at 6W. I don't understand how one, such as the SON28 can be better for charging devices and running lights than say, the SONdeluxe.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Also, as a comment, in hindsight I think that I would have been better off using a dedicated GPS system to record my rides than my phone because they're much more efficient at doing so. I'm pretty sure my Reecharge would be able to keep up with GPS's current draw than the phone.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:08 am

WestcoastPete wrote:I have a question about hub outputs and device charging:

These hubs all quote pretty much the same output of 3v at 6W. I don't understand how one, such as the SON28 can be better for charging devices and running lights than say, the SONdeluxe.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Also, as a comment, in hindsight I think that I would have been better off using a dedicated GPS system to record my rides than my phone because they're much more efficient at doing so. I'm pretty sure my Reecharge would be able to keep up with GPS's current draw than the phone.

You can run the SONDeluxe (which used to be the SON-20 for 20" wheels) on 28" wheels but as the wheels rotate slower it produces less output than the SON28 but it has less drag.
Smaller wheels rotate faster and for a given design can create higher output at lower road speeds; so instead the SONDeluxe is designed to have lower drag than the SON28 but produce the same output at a given road speed when mounted on a 20" wheel.
Before LED lights the SON20 would not produce enough power at low speeds if mounted in a 28" wheel to power incandescent lights. With LEDs (and changes in German law) it can now be used safely with the benefit of less drag.

ETA: As regards GPS vs Phone. Your phone uses power looking for and connecting to any towers even if there are none around.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Max

Postby Max » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:24 pm

il padrone wrote:You could get a Power Monkey Extreme. It's a large battery, but it will fit neatly in its case inside a handlebar bag and it has enough juice (9000mA) to recharge an ipad, or recharge your mobile phone several times over. It's waterproof, shockproof and, for the fashionistas, is available in five different colours. It comes with its own small solar panel to recharge, that fits inside the case; can be recharged from the mains power, or from your dynohub; and it comes with a huge range of connectors for almost any conceivable device. Review here.
I've been very interested in this device. The only sticking point was uncertainty about being able to charge its battery via a hub instead of via the solar panels. Can you confirm it can definitely be charged via a dyno hub?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:45 pm

I think I can speak for ilPadrone and state that yes you definitely can charge the Power Monkey Extreme from the hub.
As an alternative, I bought the Mini Gorilla which is just a battery, with the same capacity as the PME, but no solar panel. It charges faster from the hub than the PME as it charges at 9V rather than the PME that charges at 5V (both 1Amp max.). It makes more efficient use of the power generated from the hub. The Mini Gorilla also has variable Voltage output for devices other than 5V USB, such as Ayup batteries, Ipad, netbooks(but not for very long) and the like.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Don't forget the PME can be charged via mains power as well. For my devices Garmin Edge 705, Kindle and Samsung Galaxy S2 are current with possible plans for a tablet computer IF it has USB inputs...
Phone should last a week with native battery quite odd I'm seeing differences between my personal phone and work phone. Work phone is lasting 3-4 days and mine barely a day if left on 24hrs... But for touring Phone would only be turned on for short spells so should last for days. 705 lasts 2 days between charges and the PME can charge that 5-6 times. My kindle with 30mins usage a day gives me 2 months battery life so should only require 1 charge for that.
So my PME should last a week at the least and the solar charge is stated as 15hrs to charge the PME. Should be able to keep the PME topped up with enough from solar sources between power points imo
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:37 pm

il padrone wrote:Will probably arrive tomorrow :wink: . What happened with my Rohloff Speedhub, after a 7 week wait - it was worth it
Baalzamon was on the mark with 5 days after it hitting Aussie shores.
As much as patience being a virtue, I've never boasted about being virtuess.
Thankfully my wait was over today.
I got home to
and with a small bottle of correction fluid for scale
I'm sure you'll be 100% right on it being worth it.
Its just the wait I find hard (almost as hard as paying full price :wink: )

elStado

Postby elStado » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:38 am

Tim wrote:I mounted my E werk to the top tube with the connectors facing forwards. The wire from the dynamo I cable tied to the forks at the brazed-on fittings and then one more cable tie to the steel loop on the headlight mount and ran the wire around the left side of the head tube. Seems to work well with no interference or binding on full lock turns. The outlet wire I just run straight up to my handlebar bag for the phone, or to the stem mounted GPS, without any fixings.
I have mine mounted to the down tube with the cable outlets facing forwards. It fits nicely out of the way and always full movement of the bars and doesn't get in the way.
Regarding Amp settings, I had the same thoughts/doubts as you. I checked with a bloke in an electronics shop and he recommended matching the Voltage and Amperage as closely as possible to the output of the device/'s charger pack, but stay on the lower side if you can't match it up exactly. Reason being that the wires and connectors can get hot if the device is drawing more Amperage than the E werk is set to supply. I've been running my GPS and Nokia phone at 4.9 Volts and 1 Amp for a few months now with no ill consequences.
Keep us posted on the tour. good luck!
Sounds about right. I might read around but as you said setting it to 4.9V and 1A should be fine provided the charger adapter is also set for that amount (which it is). I leave in a few days, however I still haven't decided on my exact route so it might just be a matter or setting out and deciding on the road where I'll go over the next month. 8)
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA