Hydrid bike selection

humpers

Hydrid bike selection

Postby humpers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:04 am

Hi all,

Would appreciate some help in choosing between three bikes.

Giant Roam XR2 2013
Merida Crossway 500-D 2012
Merida crossway 300-D 2012

Mainly being used on paths and road with the odd detour onto much rougher terrain.

The Crossway 500-D is more expensive than i want to pay but i could stretch if it was worth the money.

Cheers
Tom

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Hydrid bike selection

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:52 pm

G'Day Tom, welcome outside.

Tough call, both makers do not produce junk.

On a pure bang for buck basis, I'd be leaning toward the Giant but I am a fanboi. Seeing as the Meridas are current models, if you can get $100-150 off the 500 then things get much closer.

Here's the thing tho'...
It's your bum that has to like the way the bike feels and your heart that has to lift whenever you look at the bike, this needs a test ride or two.

Don't forget any extra bits you'll need when working out your budget: Helmet, pump, patch kit, multitool, saddlebag and bottle/cage for a start.

One bit of advice I'll give you for free is: Once you've sorted your budget and it's time to hit the shops, tell the sales staff your budget is 10-15% less than your top dollar, it'll give you extra haggle room to talk them down and if you end up spending your whole budget the salesperson is happy that they've managed to upsell. Everybody wins. :wink:

Good luck with it, enjoy the hunt for YOUR new steed :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

humpers

Postby humpers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks for your response Shaun.

I have hit the shops and can get the bikes at these prices.

Giant Roam XR2 2013 $998 plus four free services
Merida Crossway 500-D 2012 $1050 plus one free service
Merida crossway 300-D 2012 $800 plus one free service

I have test ridden both Merida's and thought they were real nice. I'm yet to test ride the giant.

I have ridden bikes on and off all my life but not as a serious sport or any thing like that. I have ridden a mixture of cheaper mountain bikes and have currently been riding an old Centurion Le mans road bike. I currently play state league hockey but at thirty four the body is telling me its time to find a sport that is a little less harsh on the body. This is where the new decent bike comes in. It will be used to commute to work mid week and some funner stuff on weekends.

I guess i'm after opinions from any one who might own the bikes and the spec comparison of the bikes.

The main point of difference I'm worried about is the crankset and bottom bracket.

Giant XR2 Crankset - Shimano Deore Touring 26x36x48T Bottom Bracket - Shimano Integrated Outboard
Crossway 500-D Crankset Suntour SR XCR-V2-T428-FX-10s 48-36-26 CG No info on bottom bracket

Cheers
Tom

humpers

Postby humpers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:03 am

Bike specs

Crossway 500-D Specifications | Geometry
FRAME Crossway TFS-D-single
FORK SR NEX4610-D-HLO 63 lockout
BB attached
B-LEVER attached
BRAKES Shimano M446 160
CHAIN KMC X10 10s
CHAINWHEEL SR XCR-V2-T428-FX-10s 48-36-26 CG
DERA-F Shimano XT
DERA-R Shimano XT-T
FREEWHEEL Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-34
GRIP MERIDA Double
H/BAR MERIDA Comp Alloy R30 620
STEM Adjustable Pro A-Head
H/SET Conoid
HUB-F Shimano M435 cen
HUB-R Shimano M435 cen
PEDAL XC Alloy
RIM Cross Comp D
SADDLE Cross Sport
SEAT CLAMP SC60 32 Allen ST
POST Suspension One D 27.2
SHIFTERS Shimano SL-M591 3
SPOKES Black Stainless
TYRES MERIDA Speed 40 ref
SIZES 44-48-52-55-58
Total Bike Weight (kg) 13.5
RRP (AUD) $1,299

Giant XR2 2013
Frame - ALUXX SL FluidFormed Alloy
Fork - SR Suntour NCX-D LO
Shock - N/A
Handelbar - Giant Sport, Low-Riser 31. 8
Stem - Giant Sport 15 degree
Seapost - Giant Sport Alloy, Micro adjust
Saddle - Giant Cross Trail, D2
Pedals - Flat Steel cage
Shifters - Shimano Deore , Rapid Fire 30sp
Front Derailleur - Shimano LX Touring 34. 9
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Deore Shadow 10sp
Brakes - Shimano M395 hydraulic
Brake Levers - Shimano M395 hydraulic
Cassette - Shimano HG81 11x32T 10s
Chain - KMC X10
Crankset - Shimano Deore Touring 26x36x48T
Bottom Bracket - Shimano Integrated Outboard
Rims - Giant CR70, alloy double wall, 32H
Hubs - Giant alloy disc sealed
Spokes - Stainless steel black 14G
Tires - "Giant P-SLX2 X-Road Tire
Puncture Protect 700X35C"

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:55 pm

The Giant wins the BB stakes with an outboard unit over the Meridas square taper in my books and the extra services are a bonus.

Test the Giant and see how you go.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:55 pm

For what its worth I`ve got a Giant cypress hybrid and love it. Has more gears than I can use lol. Didnt pay as much as what the ones your looking at so may not be in your liking etc.Only down side of mine is I think I got the wrong size as in too big. I stand on my tippy toes and the top rail is jamed between my legs and makes it hard to swing a leg over with the kiddy seat on the back but it still hauls pretty good for what i use it for

humpers

Postby humpers » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:21 pm

I decided to go for the Giant and pick it up next week. It has a full shimano drive train, it felt lighter and the overall finish seemed nicer. The head stem on the Merida just looked cheap and i couldn't stand the thought of looking at it every ride. The Merida how ever was still a nice bike.

Now i just can't wait to get my hands on it and join you all commuting. It should be fun :D

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:47 am

humpers wrote:I decided to go for the Giant and pick it up next week. It has a full shimano drive train, it felt lighter and the overall finish seemed nicer. The head stem on the Merida just looked cheap and i couldn't stand the thought of looking at it every ride. The Merida how ever was still a nice bike.

Now i just can't wait to get my hands on it and join you all commuting. It should be fun :D

Let us know how you go!

I'm really enjoying commuting to and from work on my bike. It almost makes me excited about going to work ;-)
2012 Oppy A4

humpers

Postby humpers » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:46 am

I definitely will keep you informed and i look forward to contributing further on this forum where i can. Looks to be quite a good community you have here.

Its about a 55km round trip to work and back so i'm looking forward to some quality time in the saddle. It should be a pleasant ride taking in some natural surroundings, flora and fauna reserves and wetlands along the way.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Great stuff humpers :D Have a ball aboard your new steed!

Shaun
London Boy 29/12/2011