Ladies, Who Are You Backing At The Games

foo on patrol

Ladies, Who Are You Backing At The Games

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Come on girls, lets some see some discussion on our girls and how you think they will go! :wink:

We have some of the best roll models for this sport, for women but you don't get into it, why? :? (or is it just a male thing) :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

marinmomma

Re: Ladies, Who Are You Backing At The Games

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:57 pm

It's not that we don't get into it, it's more like there's little coverage of women's cycling especially road racing, in the general media.
Track cycling is a little different with Anna Meares' high profile.....The Anna and Victoria showdown should be good, be nice to have a better outcome for Anna compared to the worlds earlier this year...
Lisa

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:44 pm

You have to give credit though, if not be grudgingly to Ch9, they have had pretty much the same coverage as the mens in the the telecasts they have had. :|

I have so much respect for Anna Mears, from the point of view of a (used to be) competitor at a high level and being hit by a truck, to see her get back to such a take no prisoner level is just fantastic. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Women's road race tonight, bet that there's no sooky carrying on tonight, I guess that one bonus of having less media coverage that there is less hype and expectations.... The girls will just get out there and ride and give it their best!
Who is going to win, who cares, it's going to be great to watch the women on show.
Lisa

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:28 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Come on girls, lets some see some discussion on our girls and how you think they will go! :wink:

We have some of the best roll models for this sport, for women but you don't get into it, why? :? (or is it just a male thing) :oops:
I think that's more reflective of the attractiveness of this forum to women (and the lower participation rate generally) than about interest among current riders.

For my money, I hope Anna crushes Pendleton into cracks between the boards. :twisted: And if she doesn't, don't care; she'll have a red hot go. Go Anna! The younger trackies are delightful, so hope they do well too. RR - Bronzini FTW! But hard to go past a classy crosser.

Thanks for asking foo. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:41 pm

That's ok Grasshopper.

What happened with the road race, weren't the girls up to it like the boys? I couldn't see or here anything about it, being away in the truck. :cry:

Foo
Goal 6000km

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 am

foo on patrol wrote:What happened with the road race, weren't the girls up to it like the boys? I couldn't see or here anything about it, being away in the truck. :cry:
Good race, from what I saw. C9 showed about 15 seconds of the first two hours, and then we got a bit with commentary. I gave up after that and used Steephill (without sound thanks to a dodgy computer issue) and cn. Vos awesomely strong as usual; very clever attack uphill by Zabelinskaya to launch the winning break and smart riding of the last few km by Vos. Bronzini had a mechanical early and spent a lot of time in the convoy getting back on. The conditions maybe contributed to the punctures. Pooley was all over everything for a while; small but so strong. Gillow was up front much of the time that I saw so it will be interesting to see how she backs up for the tt. The other Aussies were HD. Armitstead had some thoughts on Pat McQuaid's appearance :) given his views on the pro women but I didn't see the presentation.

Not impressed with 9's coverage but then l think a gold medal event in a sport with enormous participation is more interesting than heats of swimmers who spend most of their time crying. But there you go; new national sport. I suspect the best thing about the Olympics coverage of cycling is four nights of Alien. I turned it on last night and there was women's 8s and the commentator kept referring to the 'girls'. Just nauseating bogan local football station stuff. I'd like to let Ripley loose on them. Maybe it will be better for track cos races will fit between ads and the favourites are English-speaking. :roll:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:42 am

Thanks Grasshopper. Jeez Anna made a meal of that this morning. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:02 am

Sounds bad, but I haven't seen any footage of it. I guess you make a call and sometimes it won't come off. Really liked her defence of Kaarle the other day though:
"I do have the fastest standing lap of any woman in the world, and she has to match it. So she's burning energy, and she's burning more energy than a lot of women in second wheel. She not only has to hang on to the fastest woman in the world, but to match the fastest women in the world in the second position - Victoria Pendleton and Kristina Vogel... I think she holds her own, and I think she should be proud," Meares said matter-of-factly.
Pendleton is obviously in great form, so we'll see what happens next (but I wasn't sad the Princess messed her change the other night).

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:28 pm

I watched the full women's road race and it was really exciting. Much better than many stages of the TdF, lots of attacking off the front. All done in crap weather conditions.

So much for Pat McQuaid and his antiquated views of women's cycling (on the topic of why women pro-cyclists shouldn't get paid more he said "when you make it less boring")!! It was one of the best races I have watched for a while.

Would love to watch the track live but it's a night time sport so bad timing for us.

But why should women only watch women's racing? And why aren't the blokes watching it as well? Does it really only have a place on the women's forums? Just asking.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:59 pm

Eleri wrote:I watched the full women's road race and it was really exciting. Much better than many stages of the TdF, lots of attacking off the front. All done in crap weather conditions.

So much for Pat McQuaid and his antiquated views of women's cycling (on the topic of why women pro-cyclists shouldn't get paid more he said "when you make it less boring")!! It was one of the best races I have watched for a while.

Would love to watch the track live but it's a night time sport so bad timing for us.

But why should women only watch women's racing? And why aren't the blokes watching it as well? Does it really only have a place on the women's forums? Just asking.
I don't believe/think this is the problem! I think that it is just a commercial TV problem because on SBS you get a pretty good coverage of both genders. The difference now to when I was racing and the girls were is, the skill and speed levels are much greater for the girls and the attitude of the girls is much better. 8)

I have not seen any comments by the girls on the International part of this forum or maybe I just don't know who the girls are! :oops:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:32 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
I have not seen any comments by the girls on the International part of this forum or maybe I just don't know who the girls are! :oops:
Didn't occur to me to go over there and comment - either about the men or the women! I'd rather just watch it and if it comes up at the coffee shop, discuss it there. Forums are more useful for other stuff from my perspective at least.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Fair enough but I'm all for backing our cyclists, whether male or female and getting more, as numbers, involved in this great sport. :|

Foo
Goal 6000km

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:19 am

Perfect. :D

Buchanan next! :twisted:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:20 am

Woohoo! :D 8) 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

newie

Postby newie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Yay Anna!!
Awesome.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:10 pm

grasshopper wrote:Perfect. :D

Buchanan next! :twisted:
+Many.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011