Sore Chest/Throat

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Kemp

Sore Chest/Throat

Postby Kemp » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi

So I've been getting back into riding lately. Had only ridden for a year, then life got in the way and I took six months off. Got a new bike about a month ago and since then I've done a few rides to slowly build my fitness. Most were around 40km averaging about 28km/hr. This morning I did a 60km ride at about the same speed. Felt good when I got home. All was well. Then about 2-3 hours after the ride I started to get this awful pain in my chest (that sometimes crept up my neck), mostly whenever I breathed in and whenever I bent over. I don't think it's anything heart related -- I'm only 21 for god's sake -- but I'm wondering whether or not I should get it checked out.

Anyone ever had similar symptoms?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Sore Chest/Throat

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:24 pm

YES! Tell the doc EVERYTHING.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Kemp wrote:Hi

So I've been getting back into riding lately. Had only ridden for a year, then life got in the way and I took six months off. Got a new bike about a month ago and since then I've done a few rides to slowly build my fitness. Most were around 40km averaging about 28km/hr. This morning I did a 60km ride at about the same speed. Felt good when I got home. All was well. Then about 2-3 hours after the ride I started to get this awful pain in my chest (that sometimes crept up my neck), mostly whenever I breathed in and whenever I bent over. I don't think it's anything heart related -- I'm only 21 for god's sake -- but I'm wondering whether or not I should get it checked out.

When you did your 60km ride, did you smash yourself? really hard breathing? I know when I ride hard, I get home spent and literally have a bruised chest type thing happening,
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Addictr3 wrote:
Kemp wrote:Hi

When you did your 60km ride, did you smash yourself? really hard breathing? I know when I ride hard, I get home spent and literally have a bruised chest type thing happening,
Well, yeah, it took a fair amount of effort. It probably wasn't the best idea. Since I got my bike I've only done 2 25km rides, 3 40km rides, and then just decided to bump it up to 60km while maintaining the same average. And then (like an idiot) I went and played 2 sets of tennis. I think I just over did it today. But I'll go to the doc tomorrow anyway just in case. It's really not a pleasant feeling. The rest of my body feels fine, though, and I've never really experienced this kind of pain before after really hard efforts.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:59 pm

You did smash yourself didn't you.

I can understand the chest pain after a big hitout, it's the pain migrating upwards I'm not keen on.

Better safe than sorry.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Well, after taking some voltaren and sleeping on it, my chest feels a lot better. I think it must be some kind of strain, because if I move my neck in a particular direction, I can feel pain up one side of my neck in a very specific spot, leading up to the ear. No idea how I could have done this on the bike, or even playing tennis, but if it happens again, I'm definitely going to the doctor.