Olympic cycling events

uncle arthur

Re: Olympic cycling events

Postby uncle arthur » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:29 pm

Real triathletes do all three disciplines - not wheelsuck their way through the middle third..... :roll:
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Did you like Eddie macquire trying to tell us about helmets.

When he called them a RIDING HAT.....

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:54 pm

vander wrote:I agree very silly its a runners event now that is where it really thins out. You need to be able to keep up in the swim and ride OK but you need to be able to run almost aswell as the proper distance runners. I dont like it personally but I think it was to make the events more exciting as it was in the end.
Good point that they are focused on making it "more exciting". Olympics seemed to be about making it exciting and make more money for the IOC. As long as the spectators are happy, all can be overlooked.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:39 pm

sogood wrote:So I just crashed, I did it on purpose... Taints Sir Chris Hoy's team sprint win.

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/cycling- ... 23jlx.html

Silly boy! Hasn't he noticed how sensitive this whole issue is at this Olympics? :mrgreen:
And yet Sanchez didn't get a restart in the time trial when his chain broke as he left the start line. Ridiculous.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

skull

Postby skull » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:13 pm

ITU events are draft legal. Amateur events are not.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:21 pm

Well its been a underwhelming Olympics, and with Australian Cycling Team having to rebuild yet again I think Rio will be much of the same good thing the Road side of things is going so well.
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:25 pm

DavidS wrote:And yet Sanchez didn't get a restart in the time trial when his chain broke as he left the start line. Ridiculous.
Track and road rules are different, and in alignment with the logistical and timing issues.

There are no restarts in road time trials. It's a requirement to maintain a specific gap between rider's start times. Part of TT competition is being ready (physically and mechanically) on the line on time. In road TTs the timing clock starts for all competitors at a fixed time - by the time the first rider is in the start house, the official clock has already been running for quite some time - it's quite a specific and detailed process with time check/count downs announced to all teams/riders and following strict protocol. Once the timing clock has started, it waits for no man or woman. So you can restart (with commissaire approval), you'll just be late.

On the track, the timing system is restarted for each heat, and hence timing of heats can be conducted individually and reset in special circumstances. It's not possible to do that on a road TT when you are timing dozens of riders at the same time. It analogous to other timed events where only that heat is on the course at the same time.

The chances of a mechanical mishap for a track TT is far far higher due to the riders pushing close to 2.5kW in the opening seconds, versus 0.6kW in a road TT start (and often with the aid of a ramp).

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:27 pm

RICHARDH wrote:Well its been a underwhelming Olympics, and with Australian Cycling Team having to rebuild yet again I think Rio will be much of the same good thing the Road side of things is going so well.
It's been no worse than normal. Olympic gold is rare for Australian cyclists.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Track as well though? I would have thought we would have done better than we did? Not having a go, Gold medals are hard to get but the men's team pursuit looked way off which was really surprising, O'Shea would have been a definite medal chance before the start i thought. The one area i think we can look forward to is the Road team getting stronger
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:06 pm

RICHARDH wrote:Track as well though? I would have thought we would have done better than we did? Not having a go, Gold medals are hard to get but the men's team pursuit looked way off which was really surprising, O'Shea would have been a definite medal chance before the start i thought. The one area i think we can look forward to is the Road team getting stronger
Aussie Team Pursuiters still rode some of the fastest times in history. It just isn't good enough to win, that's all.

I won't comment on O'Shea's Omnium.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
RICHARDH wrote:
I won't comment on O'Shea's Omnium.
? I would be interested to hear what you think

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:02 am

Anna! Netti!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:07 am

Absolutely rapped for Anna, rebounded like the champion she is :D Pendleton classy in defeat 8)
FPR Ragamuffin

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:49 am

Nice to hear Anna had a plan & executed it perfectly

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:07 am

Go Anna! Awesome race.

She also interviews very nicely. None of this bluster and bravado of some of the younger athletes. Very humble and gracious. A Joy to watch.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am

Some people you just hope have success , Anna is one of those people . Great job thoroughly deserved

roller

Postby roller » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:37 am

anyone managed to locate a decent youtoob of anna mears' win?

. . all i can find is videos filled with still shots. . .
inflammatory statement or idea

roller

Postby roller » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 am

sogood wrote:
vander wrote:Olympic tris are draft legal lots of tris arent but these are.
Thanks. Makes the race rather meaningless when drafting is allowed. Interesting they weren't using a pace line to save energy while none was able to breakaway either.
the bunch(es) looked shoddy and disorganised.. i'm quite surprised there weren't more falls.

in the women's race, 5 riders had a clear break on the main bunch but had no idea how to work together properly

if they had they would have put a good 5-10 minutes at least into the main field. i'm not sure if anyone from that break won or finished top 5, but if they didn't they should be rueing a missed opportunity.
inflammatory statement or idea

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:31 pm

roller wrote:anyone managed to locate a decent youtoob of anna mears' win?

. . all i can find is videos filled with still shots. . .
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/london-olymp ... e28892d9c4
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 am

Coupla big stacks in the BMX seeding runs this morning. One of the girls looked in real pain after nearly bending herself in half, hope she's ok.

Willoughby 6th? Buchanan P1.

Jim

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Great job Anna! But completely shocked that Victoria hasn't practiced her track stand. Where's her coach?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:53 pm

sogood wrote:Great job Anna! But completely shocked that Victoria hasn't practiced her track stand. Where's her coach?
Good article in the Murdoch press today about Meares doing this to stop Pendleton's sprint from behind.

vander

Postby vander » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:57 pm

sogood wrote:Great job Anna! But completely shocked that Victoria hasn't practiced her track stand. Where's her coach?
It was just beautiful tactics by meares she went straight up after the bend and trackstanded (trackstood??) just about there you first can without falling for viccy to get in behind her there and stay upright would of been an achievement. Anna was just strong tactically.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:42 am

Well done Anna..

And don't Sam and Caroline look good in the BMX. Great to watch. MTB is today 11th (womens) and tomorrow (Mens)
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:37 am

It occurs to me the Olympics have sprint events endurance events but are missing events with an artistic element

I looked to equestrian events for inspiration, but Danny McCaskill would dominate the show jumping & the dressage would be full of hipsters on fixies.

But last night's events gave me the big idea - synchronised cycling & rhythmic cycling. The ball & the clubs will be good, but my personal favourites will the ribbons & the plastic smiles!