The Australian Cycling Union.

The 2nd Womble

The Australian Cycling Union.

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:09 am

This is a teaser and we will use this thread to post more details as time progresses. Mods, you might want to make this a Sticky.

https://www.facebook.com/SafeCyclingAus ... re_comment
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

The 2nd Womble

Re: The Australian Cycling Union.

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:15 am

In addition to the advocacy, two levels of insurance will be offered. The first will be comparible to BNV's current offering, with an additional Elite pack which will cover your personals as well ie: laptops, clothing etc which will benefit the commuter cyclist in particular. International coverage and travel is a given.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:24 am

It sounds interesting Womble, but I'd need to know who was behind this and what their background is. It's all well and good to start a rebel movement, but it needs to be something ongoing and sound. I think a lot of people have been bitten and may now be twice shy.

Also, why do I have to like something on Facebook to find out any information?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:42 am

Ah, FB required 25 likes for ACU to be made permenant page, and they who shall be un-named have been desperately trying to grab at anything they can to make things more difficult. Victorian colleagues have registered 23 domain names in the last 24 hours before they were beaten to them by "they". News travels fast. Pity the advocacy doesn't keep pace :?
I understand your pov BFV, but as we release more details the credentials of those involved with this so far will help to allay most peoples concerns. Bottom line is that you as a cyclist should you choose to do so, will have a choice. Choice is good for all.

edhore

Postby edhore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:57 am

Just to let you know, there is quite a lot behind this, over 6 months of work into researching its likelihood of surviving. But I can tell you now, we are a ground swell of people that want Government access. Tired of the current go to media representatives. At this point the ACU has managed to hold on to a very powerful domain name, and the site is being built. It is all a sneak peek for those in the know, and you can see it grow at http://cycle.org.au

If you want more info, reach me at union[a]cycle.org.au

The more you know.... :arrow: :shock:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:49 pm

edhore wrote:Just to let you know, there is quite a lot behind this, over 6 months of work into researching its likelihood of surviving. But I can tell you now, we are a ground swell of people that want Government access. Tired of the current go to media representatives. At this point the ACU has managed to hold on to a very powerful domain name, and the site is being built. It is all a sneak peek for those in the know, and you can see it grow at http://cycle.org.au

If you want more info, reach me at union[a]cycle.org.au

The more you know.... :arrow: :shock:
Well, that was a good start. A link to a crappy placeholder page. I'll go back to my original query and ask: Who is standing behind this? I'm not being deliberately anti-ACU here, but if you want to compete with the established organisations you've really got to do better than being able to register a domain name (especially since you registered the domain and posted here less than an hour later). At the moment, the dodgy Chinese jersey sites look like a better place to send my money to.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:42 pm

As already said BFV, the detail is forthcoming. I will say that major advocacy stakeholders have already invested alot of time into this. You can basically concider the ACU as almost everyone (you should already know) who ISN'T Harry Barber or aboard member of BNV and their State counterparts.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:31 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:As already said BFV, the detail is forthcoming. I will say that major advocacy stakeholders have already invested alot of time into this. You can basically concider the ACU as almost everyone (you should already know) who ISN'T Harry Barber or aboard member of BNV and their State counterparts.
Womble, I'm willing to give you guys a go, but you really need to do better than everyone else. Doing what the others do isn't enough. That's just the way it is.

I'm not the only one who's watching. There are a lot of people I know who really want you to get this right.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Couldn't agree more. We're already 10 years late, so we can't afford to dither when it counts.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:36 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: Womble, I'm willing to give you guys a go, but you really need to do better than everyone else. Doing what the others do isn't enough. That's just the way it is.

I'm not the only one who's watching. There are a lot of people I know who really want you to get this right.
Exactly this.

Interested to see how this goes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

edhore

Postby edhore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Just need to point out, you guys are seeing the website as it is being built, we have had a lot of work done on this, and a lot more to go. But the important components to a successful entity these days is capturing the names, this has to happen very quickly, and it did happen quickly, with every state covered and the best key words I could find.

If any one wants to discuss what is going on or how to get involved, please send me a message and I will contact you directly. If you want to see foundations for it, check out the Respect4Riders on facebook.

If you want to judge my sincerity, I am one of the few people to question our 'State Reps' publicly. I am not easily scared off.

But, bear-in-mind, you are watching this grow as invited people, you (that know about it) are literally the 'grass-roots' of the ground swell. But it will only work if we get everyone behind it, and to stop being suspicious of one another. As a force, we number as many. Divided we are ignored.
I'm not cool enough to put anything here.