How to get thighs like pro?

sogood

How to get thighs like pro?

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:27 am

At the Olympics, there's thigh-off in the village. Greipel is a mountain gorilla, but decidedly tame besides Forstermann. The question is, how does one get thighs that massive? Just by riding hard? Just by pumping lead?

http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/cycling- ... 23ocs.html
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

biftek

Re: How to get thighs like pro?

Postby biftek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:30 am

squats and lots of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oV_yDdZ ... r_embedded

Robert Foerstemann 08.10.2011 2x260kg squats

however as the body works in proportion you also need to do upper body work outs so that your legs can grow

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:34 am

Ride around on 53/11 all the time.

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:38 am

http://coachlevi.com/training/how-can-i ... g-muscles/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... highs.html
Hoy spends three hours every day on the cycle track and two hours in the gym where he lies flat on a bench and uses his feet to lift weights of 35 stone, an incredible two-and-a-half times his own body weight.( 220kg on a leg press machine)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:42 am

biftek wrote:Robert Foerstemann 08.10.2011 2x260kg squats
for perspective, that is still less than the women's record.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:20 pm

sogood wrote:The question is, how does one get thighs that massive? Just by riding hard? Just by pumping lead?
According to the "anyone can race A grade" thread, it's the right coach and a serious attitude to training.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
biftek wrote:Robert Foerstemann 08.10.2011 2x260kg squats
for perspective, that is still less than the women's record.
.. And about triple my free standing squat weight. Mind you, I do 3 sets of 12. If I was just doing 2x you could safely add another kg or two ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Bulky legs = fast twitch muscle fibres (Type II B?). Anyway... the correct answer is 'genetics'.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:24 pm

pardon me if anyone on here has legs like that, but ewwwwww! :lol: :lol:

He really does have legs that look like a snake has just eaten a pig.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm

twizzle wrote:Bulky legs = fast twitch muscle fibres (Type II B?). Anyway... the correct answer is 'genetics'.
But even 'genetics' have limits.

Without experience in the body building field, how does Fostermann's quads compare with professional body builders'? In the same ball park. To me, they looked absolutely massive, quite possibly bigger than those professional body builders. :shock:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Bodybuilder Tom Platz, aka "Quadzilla"

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Yuck, yuck and yuck!!!

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:48 pm

sogood wrote:
twizzle wrote:Bulky legs = fast twitch muscle fibres (Type II B?). Anyway... the correct answer is 'genetics'.
But even 'genetics' have limits.

Without experience in the body building field, how does Fostermann's quads compare with professional body builders'? In the same ball park. To me, they looked absolutely massive, quite possibly bigger than those professional body builders. :shock:
his workout would more closely match that of a powerlifter rather then a bodybuilder , a powerlifter builds muscle for function where as a bodybuilder builds muscle for aestheticss (cosmetic)

vander

Postby vander » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:09 pm

A few courses of Dianabol. We all know cyclist are juiced to the eyeballs why would track be any different.

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:33 pm

vander wrote:A few courses of Dianabol. We all know cyclist are juiced to the eyeballs why would track be any different.
still need a strong foundation before juice works its magic

vander

Postby vander » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:48 pm

biftek wrote:
vander wrote:A few courses of Dianabol. We all know cyclist are juiced to the eyeballs why would track be any different.
still need a strong foundation before juice works its magic
Yes and you do need to work hard while on the juice to look like that. However I still think they are juiced up legs even people that just squat super heavy dont have legs that look that ridiculous.

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:00 pm

vander wrote:Yes and you do need to work hard while on the juice to look like that. However I still think they are juiced up legs even people that just squat super heavy dont have legs that look that ridiculous.
This really is the question isn't it? Can one get that muscle bulk just by hard physical work?

A side question, is dope permitted in body building competitions? If not, is 'roid use still widespread?

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:12 pm

biftek wrote:his workout would more closely match that of a powerlifter rather then a bodybuilder , a powerlifter builds muscle for function where as a bodybuilder builds muscle for aestheticss (cosmetic)
I understand from some coaching circles that weights aren't important for cyclists. The best way to build power for cycling is to cycle. I suspect these cyclists don't believe that.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:17 pm

sogood wrote:
vander wrote:Yes and you do need to work hard while on the juice to look like that. However I still think they are juiced up legs even people that just squat super heavy dont have legs that look that ridiculous.
This really is the question isn't it? Can one get that muscle bulk just by hard physical work?

A side question, is dope permitted in body building competitions? If not, is 'roid use still widespread?
I dont think they can but happy to be proved wrong. Dope is not permitted in natural bodybuilding comps but they are all on it. I have heard stories of drug testers showing up and all the athletes packing up and going home. I know numerous people that have done a few cycles of roids and have heard a lot of stories about people personally seeing a lot of high level sports people in Australia doing cycles in the offseason.

To your other question weight work is questionable for road cyclists I have seen studies that say its helpful and those that dont but for track cyclists especially sprinters it is necessary all match sprinters spend lots of time in the the gym.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Big thighs maketh the cyclist not !
My mates a stick insect and hauls ass on any surface.
Cardio, training(hours of it per day ) . Same as any focused sport.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Horses for courses. These are the legs that just won the TdF and Olympic TT:

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Horses for courses. These are the legs that just won the TdF and Olympic TT:
Whilst I agree with you Wiggins is an excellent example for TT and climbers, but the current focus is on track sprinting.

Q:
- What's the value of those massive thighs of Chris Hoy and this example?
- Does fixed gear make a difference in terms of rider's physique?

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:14 pm

sogood wrote:
biftek wrote:his workout would more closely match that of a powerlifter rather then a bodybuilder , a powerlifter builds muscle for function where as a bodybuilder builds muscle for aestheticss (cosmetic)
I understand from some coaching circles that weights aren't important for cyclists. The best way to build power for cycling is to cycle. I suspect these cyclists don't believe that.
here is a research paper on that matter
http://www.cycling.org.au/?ID=41186

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:16 pm

sogood wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Horses for courses. These are the legs that just won the TdF and Olympic TT:
Whilst I agree with you Wiggins is an excellent example for TT and climbers, but the current focus is on track sprinting.

Q:
- What's the value of those massive thighs of Chris Hoy and this example?
- Does fixed gear make a difference in terms of rider's physique?
Didn't realise it was just about track sprint. The guy on the left in the original picture is a road professional, not a track sprinter.

Quite clearly one is seeking sufficient muscle mass to deliver very high power outputs for short durations of ~ 20 seconds. But more does not necessarily = faster. Additional mass has to be accelerated, so if the power gain is less than the muscle mass gain, then you will accelerate more slowly. There is also an aero penalty. Even Hoy has made the point about not being too bulky as it was costing him speed.

In fact I made the comment to someone yesterday that Hoy looks super lean at the moment. This is him at the track after the team sprint world record:

Fixed gear has nothing to do with it. It's how hard you work, what you work on, what and how much you eat, and genetics that matters.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 pm

biftek wrote:
sogood wrote:
here is a research paper on that matter
http://www.cycling.org.au/?ID=41186
That's not a research paper, it's an opinion piece that discussed one study, cherry picked to support a belief. It would have been far more interesting had all relevant research been considered (which is equivocal to negative for endurance cycling performance).