Dextro Isotonic Sports Drink

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
15wilsonwu

Dextro Isotonic Sports Drink

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:18 pm

Hey guys, I just started to use the Dextro Isotonic Sports Drink and i'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on this product.

Thanks,
WIlson
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

Reman

Re: Dextro Isotonic Sports Drink

Postby Reman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Staminade powder from Coles is cheap and is one of the very few that also contains potassium and magnesium and not just sodium.

Otherwise google for "chocolate milk recovery"! Best sports drink evar 8)

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Reman wrote:Staminade powder from Coles is cheap and is one of the very few that also contains potassium and magnesium and not just sodium.

Otherwise google for "chocolate milk recovery"! Best sports drink evar 8)
Hmm, interesting... Maybe i should try drinking choco milk after cycling. But isnt Staminade just lolly water?
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I usually use staminade. But recently splurged on some endura. And holy cow that stuff is gross. I don't care whether it would make you the best rider in the world it's too disgusting. So I think I'll be going back to stamniade.

Reman

Postby Reman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:08 am

Nope, Staminade is like any other sports drink. So it contains carbs and salts (to replace what you sweat out).

The big things going for Staminade are
- cheap!
- tastes alright
- has mg/pot that Gatorade, etc don't

So Staminade during riding, then post ride choccy milk and youre good to go!

Brettlikes2ride

Postby Brettlikes2ride » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:23 am

Hi guys,
I found a huge difference when i changed from gatorade to a real drink, i now use Hammer Heed for short rides of maybe 2hrs or so and Perpetuem for longer rides, i have even had all day rides with no other food and they just keep me going.

The other huge step i made was taking a recovery drink immediately after stopping riding, this has helped my recovery immensely, before this i used to be buggered most of the day or indeed the weekend on some occassions, now i'm good to go even when i haven't ridden for a while and do too much, this is important for me as i have 2 kids that don't let me have a nap or even rest after a ride.

For this i use the hammer recovery drink, think it's called recoverite from memory.
I'm not advertising hammer in any way just i have found them good and i did a bit of reading before i switched and they do not use any sugars in there drinks, unlike gatorade and most supermarket drinks.
2011 Pinarello FPquattro
2009 Giant Defy1 (spare bike now)

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:48 pm

ozstriker wrote:I usually use staminade. But recently splurged on some endura. And holy cow that stuff is gross. I don't care whether it would make you the best rider in the world it's too disgusting. So I think I'll be going back to stamniade.
Haha, I agree.. they're horendous. The orange is virtually undrinkable, but the rasberry is a lot better..
I've found you don't need to add much staminade to make them drinkable. One scoop of Endura, quarter scoop of Staminade.. makes me wonder how much flavouring is in Staminade :shock:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Endura is an acquired taste. My experience of the maltodextrin based drinks like Endura, Hammer, High5 has definitively been they all keep me going at a more even, and therefore faster pace than the table sugar-only supermarket stuff Staminade, Gatorade et al.

Table sugar just spikes your insulin quickly and then drops you again. This effect has been documented for several decades - I remember being advised to stay away from simple sugars to top up energy before heats by surfing coaches when our club did a boardrider coaching camp back in 89/90, and then seeing the same info in a technical surf coaching manual, so it's not like its new or even controversial information. I'm not understanding why people are having such trouble getting their heads around the concept or believing the fact. Marketing perhaps? :?

I find with the table-sugar-only based mixes like Gatorade that I feel good like I've got a full tank again for a couple of minutes maybe ... and then promptly return to the same level of suffering as before I took a swig. Which fits. The effect is most pronounced when I'm trying to simulate a race pace on a training ride.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Brettlikes2ride wrote:Hi guys,
I found a huge difference when i changed from gatorade to a real drink, i now use Hammer Heed for short rides of maybe 2hrs or so and Perpetuem for longer rides, i have even had all day rides with no other food and they just keep me going.
Heed and then Perpetuum is quite a popular comnination with my mates who do 100km point-to-point mtb races, along with their gels. The chocolate gels are yum :)

I've just started using the High5 4:1 mix which contains protein during longer rides, and it definitely improves post-ride recovery over carbs-only. I find it more filling - and therefore sometimes harder to get down.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:08 pm

vbplease wrote:
ozstriker wrote:I usually use staminade. But recently splurged on some endura. And holy cow that stuff is gross. I don't care whether it would make you the best rider in the world it's too disgusting. So I think I'll be going back to stamniade.
Haha, I agree.. they're horendous. The orange is virtually undrinkable, but the rasberry is a lot better..
I've found you don't need to add much staminade to make them drinkable. One scoop of Endura, quarter scoop of Staminade.. makes me wonder how much flavouring is in Staminade :shock:
Endura is vile!!! :shock: I tried it once, never again. I've got some stuff from Pacific Health Labs, it's a bit nicer - not so disgusting tasting.

Revend

Postby Revend » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Well i have no any idea about this drink but if it is good then i will definitely try to drink it. This is new kind of energy drink for me so i will try. Its a great information.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:18 pm

I used Endura a number of years ago. The raspberry was the best flavour, and the trick to preparing it is to throw in some ice and whizz it in the blender. That is the only way to dissolve all the "bits".
These days I mostly use water, and sometimes a powerade.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:38 pm

I found some Endura going cheap recently so I bought myself a tub, and I definitely agree about it tasting pretty horrible!

I've used the High5 4:1 before, and that's really good. Much prefer it to the Endura!

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 pm

Now I just use WATER!!!! Best "product" ever!
Get the carbs from Bannanas for short rides, and dates for long rides as they are more compact.
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31