Hillman mtb to CX conversion

Pravda

Hillman mtb to CX conversion

Postby Pravda » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 pm

So I'm looking at converting my old Hillman mtb frame to a CX bike but I've got a few questions for the master mechanics.

Firstly the frame had an old quill stem. Can i convert this to a steerer tube style stem?

I want to do some touring on the bike when im done so im going for a triple crank. Which gruppo am i best choosing? Looking at SRAM apex/105.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

HappyHumber

Re: Hillman mtb to CX conversion

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Pravda wrote:Firstly the frame had an old quill stem. Can i convert this to a steerer tube style stem?
You can get adaptors;

Pravda wrote:I want to do some touring on the bike when im done so im going for a triple crank. Which gruppo am i best choosing? Looking at SRAM apex/105.
They're both fine. I use an Apex double (w/ Compact crank) on my Surly Crosscheck- 5000km and counting on that build. Just replaced the chain actually. Hopefully I haven't pushed the chain wear too far on the first - yet to do a good sharp climb to test it.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Ah I thought as much, thanks for that.

Any recommended chain rings? I was thinking of going 46/34 and possibly a smaller granny gear.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Not that I speak from competitve experience; but I think you'll find there aren't too many triple ring CX bikes. Many are infact single ring up front (in the mid 40s?). Less crap catching ability, risk of chain throw and a weight saving; but then if you're using an old steelie weight isn't probably too much of concern. Presumably you just want something tough & versatile?

I think if you need to drop down into a granny ring, you'll be spinning like mad but going slow. If you're competing you'd probably be better off just dismounting and running. If you're just doing it for the heck of building a hack - you're probably fine.

I've been toying with a hack build myself - got a fair amount of the right bits (an old 110BCD Square taper crank for a compact double), just need the right size ol' frame.
--

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Yeah
HappyHumber wrote:Not that I speak from competitve experience; but I think you'll find there aren't too many triple ring CX bikes. Many are infact single ring up front (in the mid 40s?). Less crap catching ability, risk of chain throw and a weight saving; but then if you're using an old steelie weight isn't probably too much of concern. Presumably you just want something tough & versatile?
Tough and versatile is the name of the game, probably a compact will be fine, as I said in OP I'm looking at possibly doing some touring on it as well.

The big question now is how to get my crank off. Crank puller managed to rip all of the thread off the inside when I tried it. My instinct now is to take to it with a hammer but I'm hoping there's a more subtle solution...
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:31 pm

Assuming you're now junking the incumbent crank... just ever so gingerly cut into at 12 o'clock (with the crank arm itself at 6 o'clock) towards the spindle taper with a small thin cutting disc/dremel. With any luck shortly after first touching the spindle it'll have sufficiently loosened it's grip... tap evenly around behind the crank spider with a light hammer or small rubber mallet. If not if this still isn't enough; cut again at say 3 or 9 o'clock in similar fasion. Should come off with that quarter of the female taper for the most part removed...

err ... that make any sense?
--

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Before you get the tools out on that crank...

Loosen off the bolt a turn or two and go for a gentle ride around the block, that should do the trick.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:44 am

Mulger bill wrote:Before you get the tools out on that crank...

Loosen off the bolt a turn or two and go for a gentle ride around the block, that should do the trick.
I tried that straight after threading it but no dice. The rest of the frame is stripped now so it's not really an option. Will see how I go with it this weekend.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:43 am

I got a pretty good deal through my LBS on a SRAM CX groupset that was essentially an Apex double crankset with CX rings (46/38), Rival deraileurs, X7 shifters (flat bar), Shorty Ultimate brakes and some Avid FR-5 levers...a smidge under $500 from memory. Evans Cycles in the UK has those parts for pretty much that price....
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle