DIY Trike/Velomobile Design

Roinik

Re: DIY Trike/Velomobile Design

Postby Roinik » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:22 pm

John,

I hope that the new shocks do what you want. I can't comment on the Mango, however it is probably 3rd in my line of priorities for cycling right now. First the bent for the boss (and I might 'borrow' it for my commuting). Secondly take care of the kids (I have seen a kids bent online, hmm......) and then comes the VM. I'm not sure whether a replacement ute is in the middle, however the boss is convinced that I will get the VM before that. We'll see. BTW, the camber is for cornering at high speed since you can't lean in a VM. A MacPherson strut front end maintains the camber on both wheels more evenly in hard cornering. Double wishbone with the strut within the lower control arm (wishbone) tend to lean more than the type where te strut is connected almost on top of the upper ball joint due to the angle of attack on the mount. In the double wishbone case the loaded wheel adds more positive camber when load is applied. This can be corrected with geometry changes and ratios of upper and lower wishbones. The MacPherson strut front end is lighter and tends to have less 'movement' due to less moving components. It is also simpler and cheaper to produce which is why it has been adopted as the typical choice for automobiles. There is more adjustment possible in the double wishbone suspension and it is considered to be stronger.

In really hard cornering you will find that the rear end will come into play and can case the whole unit to become sloppy, especially if upset with bumps (i.e. railway/tram lines which you only need to be worried about down by the port). If this is designed to track true and maintain true over bumps then you have a better setup. This is why the WAW has a rigid rear end. The rigid rear end does nothing for the passenger ride.

Ian.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 pm

Andrew,

It was staring me in the face.
There are a couple of Stein Trikes for sale on OzHPV website.
The Mungo and Mad Max have front suspension which looks like your layout.
http://www.steintrikes.net/steintrikes- ... /index.php
Wish the RotoVelo had that sort of travel and maybe an air jack for steep ramp approaches.
Hope that helps.
PS: riding a 40kg bare trike would be bad.

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Poiter wrote:Andrew,

It was staring me in the face.
There are a couple of Stein Trikes for sale on OzHPV website.
The Mungo and Mad Max have front suspension which looks like your layout.
http://www.steintrikes.net/steintrikes- ... /index.php
Wish the RotoVelo had that sort of travel and maybe an air jack for steep ramp approaches.
Can't remember where I saw it but there is a video of the Stein Trikes on an offroad downhill track floating around. Pretty impressive suspension and obviously made to take a beating - just dont expect to pedal it uphill at even a quarter of the speed they go down it :wink:

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Poiter wrote:Suspension on a VM is so much more than just having a comfy mesh seat Joe.
Especially when there are tree roots on corners!
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/47504664[/vimeo]

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Poiter wrote:
Poiter wrote:Suspension on a VM is so much more than just having a comfy mesh seat Joe.
Especially when there are tree roots on corners!
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/47504664[/vimeo]
Fixed for ya. Ouch bump bump bump, someone could get sea sick watching that
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810