Wheel Upgrade "Advice Needed :)"

trippyho

Wheel Upgrade "Advice Needed :)"

Postby trippyho » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi,

I'am looking to upgrade my stock wheels (Shimano R500) with Falcrum Racing 5 wheels. They are currently on sale at wiggle http://www.this link is broken/fulcrum-racing- ... lset-2012/ and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with them and if they are that much better than the R500.

Basically I have a $300 max budget and if anyone can give me suggestions or opinions it would be greatly appreciated. Just a bit of background I mainly use my bike for training rides so I'am after something that will give me a better / nicer ride.

Thanks in advance :)

usernameforme

Re: Wheel Upgrade "Advice Needed :)"

Postby usernameforme » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:49 pm

these look like a good set of "sunday best" hoops

dominicj

Postby dominicj » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Did you end up getting the Fulcrum 5's? I am trying to make the exact same decision now. I got R500's on my Azzurri and am looking to upgrade to a stronger and lighter wheelset.
usernameforme wrote:[url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/edge- ... /WWS-XR200]these look like a good set of "sunday best" hoops
These look amazingly light for the price, however they say maximum rider weight 185lb... I'm 220lb. I've been a bit confused about the relationship between rider weight and wheels. Most wheels I look at don't have a maximum rider weight however I can only assume that they have one. What are the implications of riding a wheel which is not rated for my weight? Will the wheel buckle or is it a longer term thing (eg. the wheel will not stay true over a longer period)? I had also assumed that more spokes would make a stronger wheel but some information I've seen indicates that this may not necessarily be the case.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm

I have Fulcrum Racing 5 which I brought back in March 2010 from http://bike24.net. My review of them can be found at the link. I am still riding them and other than the broken spoke at 3,000 km they have been good.

Andrew
Andrew

azeng97

Postby azeng97 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah, you can get it in Germany at HIBIKE/Bike24/other for 150 euros after removing VAT, then add 25 shipping, so its around 175 euros shipped, making it just over 200 AUD, which is a real bargain for this.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:08 pm

dominicj wrote: These look amazingly light for the price, however they say maximum rider weight 185lb... I'm 220lb. I've been a bit confused about the relationship between rider weight and wheels. Most wheels I look at don't have a maximum rider weight however I can only assume that they have one. What are the implications of riding a wheel which is not rated for my weight? Will the wheel buckle or is it a longer term thing (eg. the wheel will not stay true over a longer period)? I had also assumed that more spokes would make a stronger wheel but some information I've seen indicates that this may not necessarily be the case.
I can't comment too much on riding a wheel that is not rated for your weight as I weigh 53kg, but I am led to believe that it will go out of true quicker/easier and perhaps flex more than what you would like. Bicycle wheel warehouse is also a good place to look for budget raceday wheels and they have a pretty good reputation on other forums. I believe their pure race SL and pure aero will cater for your weight whilst being a reasonable weight at a decent price. They do have some much lighter wheels, if your wallet allows...

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:36 pm

dominicj wrote:Did you end up getting the Fulcrum 5's? I am trying to make the exact same decision now. I got R500's on my Azzurri and am looking to upgrade to a stronger and lighter wheelset.
usernameforme wrote:[url=<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/edge- ... /WWS-XR200]these look like a good set of "sunday best" hoops
These look amazingly light for the price, however they say maximum rider weight 185lb... I'm 220lb. I've been a bit confused about the relationship between rider weight and wheels. Most wheels I look at don't have a maximum rider weight however I can only assume that they have one. What are the implications of riding a wheel which is not rated for my weight? Will the wheel buckle or is it a longer term thing (eg. the wheel will not stay true over a longer period)? I had also assumed that more spokes would make a stronger wheel but some information I've seen indicates that this may not necessarily be the case.
Break spokes? I think it's a combination between spoke count and rim stiffness.

Dayrider

Postby Dayrider » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:26 pm

I would recommend to add a bit extra to your budget and go for Fulcrum 3. They are completely different in quality from the low level fulcrums 7 and 5. I dealt with all the Fulcrum range wheels.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 am

usernameforme wrote:these look like a good set of "sunday best" hoops
Those wheels are a fantastic deal, the XR200 rim is somewhat flexy so I'd stick to that weight limit suggestion, if it were an XR270 or XR300 then 220lb would be ok.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Crawf wrote:
usernameforme wrote:these look like a good set of "sunday best" hoops
Those wheels are a fantastic deal, the XR200 rim is somewhat flexy so I'd stick to that weight limit suggestion, if it were an XR270 or XR300 then 220lb would be ok.
they also make it with the XR-300 rim too... weight limit is 210lbs though...

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Ohh very comparable to the Pro Lite's and half the price. Pity about the 24h rear.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 pm

I would look at Fulcrum 3 for the price
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Bike 24 have some really great deals on wheels - the Euro has tanked.

dominicj

Postby dominicj » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I would love some Fulcrum 3's but probably a bit more than what I can reasonably justify to the wife! I actually ended up getting a set of DT Swiss R1900's very cheap which came off a TCR Composite after about 500km's. From what I've read these are responsive and rock solid and at 24/28 they should be ideal for my daily ~50km commute and they're rated to 110kg. They are not light but they're no heavier than what I'm riding now and at the very least it'll give me something to compare to and try and get my head around the differences in wheelsets.

The idea now is to get a second wheelset for non-commute weekend rides (once I can convince the wife that this is 'necessary')!

Gordo

Postby Gordo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:04 pm

i upgraded from 500's to fulcrum racing 5 awhile back. great upgrade for the price. the wheels have been great. proprietary spokes are the only issue. apparently u can buy cheap spoke kit online. i havent broke a spoke yet though.

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:34 pm

dominicj wrote:Did you end up getting the Fulcrum 5's? I am trying to make the exact same decision now. I got R500's on my Azzurri and am looking to upgrade to a stronger and lighter wheelset.
Nah I haven't gotten my wheel upgrade yet. Decided to save a bit more and wanted to get something better.

Instead I'am thinking of upgrading my Shimano R500 rims to either the Easton EA50 AERO Clincher Road or the Pro-Lite Bracciano.
The Eastons are around 60grams heavier and cost $50 more, but not sure how the Pro-Lite compares to it.

Does anyone know how each one compares in terms of performance, hub quality etc?

Here are the links to each wheel.

Prolite Bracciano - http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.p ... oductId=19
Easton EA50 Aero - http://www.this link is broken/Easton-EA50 ... d-Wheelset

Which one would you get / recommend? Basically I upped my budget to $400 - $450 max.

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

trippyho wrote: The Eastons are around 60grams heavier and cost $50 more, but not sure how the Pro-Lite compares to it.
I don't think the weight of the Easton AE50 wheels on the Cellbikes site is right. Googling gave me a claimed weight of 1786g. I sent Cellbikes an email asking if another set of wheels had the correct weight - they were claiming a <$200 pair of R501 (30mm rim) weighed 1600g (they've since fixed it).

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:14 pm

nickdos wrote:
trippyho wrote: The Eastons are around 60grams heavier and cost $50 more, but not sure how the Pro-Lite compares to it.
I don't think the weight of the Easton AE50 wheels on the Cellbikes site is right. Googling gave me a claimed weight of 1786g. I sent Cellbikes an email asking if another set of wheels had the correct weight - they were claiming a <$200 pair of R501 (30mm rim) weighed 1600g (they've since fixed it).
Wow your right! I just went on the Eastons' website and the actual weight of the EA50 Aero wheel set is 1785g. Looks like the Pro-Lite Bracciano is the way to go, unless someone else knows of a better wheel for the same price bracket I should consider...

delazy

Postby delazy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Found myself in the same situation earlier in the week, had planned to buy the shimano rs80 c24s from c r c, spent atleast 6 hours on here searching/researching and decided on the pro-lites...ordered them from deon/alex, Tuesday lunchtime and they were in the couriers hands by mid afternoon...awesome service!! Look
Forward to receiving them and seeing if they live up to all the hype :) I have no doubt they will however...

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 pm

delazy wrote:Found myself in the same situation earlier in the week, had planned to buy the shimano rs80 c24s from c r c, spent atleast 6 hours on here searching/researching and decided on the pro-lites...ordered them from deon/alex, Tuesday lunchtime and they were in the couriers hands by mid afternoon...awesome service!! Look
Forward to receiving them and seeing if they live up to all the hype :) I have no doubt they will however...
Let me know how it they go. :D By the way what's the URL for the website you ordered them from?

Lazyweek

Postby Lazyweek » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:21 pm

I have ordered the pro-lites as well, they seem very popular. I should have mine on next week. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference coming from the R-500's.

R12RT

Postby R12RT » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:56 pm

delazy wrote:Found myself in the same situation earlier in the week, had planned to buy the shimano rs80 c24s from c r c, spent atleast 6 hours on here searching/researching and decided on the pro-lites...ordered them from deon/alex, Tuesday lunchtime and they were in the couriers hands by mid afternoon...awesome service!! Look

They will!! :D
John Beaven
2010 Malvern Star Oppy C6
2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 pm

My stelvios (30mm rim / same hubs as the bracc's)have been going strong for ~2.5 yrs & ~10000km. Initially I had a lot of creaking but a very small amount of tightening of the spokes cured this. They've strayed relatively true but now developed a very small amount of play in the rear bearings which is not something to complain about giving there age. I went from R500's to the stelvios and the ride became MUCH smoother. The drop in weight of the rims (and tyres) was also very apparent accelerating. Was happy with my purchase.

Today i swapped them out for some new RS80's on a lap around the block (they weren't mine) and liked them, but remember comparing a new to used wheel. I liked the finish & will be ordering a pair of these eventually. You can buy them ~$450 delivered from the uk, from memory they were more than that ~2.5yrs ago

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 am

trippyho wrote:Let me know how it they go. :D By the way what's the URL for the website you ordered them from?
http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/

i've got the Como's - awesome commuting wheels
tough, heavy and cheap

trippyho

Postby trippyho » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Anyone know anything about EDGE roadwheels? http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/edge- ... /WWS-XR200 Came across them and they weigh in at 1380g and only for $220. Are they decent? Or too good to be true?