BTA asks the question: Are cyclists responsible citizens?

Aushiker

BTA asks the question: Are cyclists responsible citizens?

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Cyclesnail poses an interesting question in the blog posting at the Bicycle Transport Alliance: Are cyclists responsible citizens?

The question comes up frequently, and whenever there is some article about commuter cycling in the papers most of the comments are anti-cycling and often quite vitriolic. One of the reasons that car drivers trot out is the rule breaking by people riding bicycles – the riding through red lights...

My conclusion is that people riding bicycles are just like you and me – citizens living in a society where we learn to share public space responsibly.

Has Cyclesnail got it right?

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: BTA asks the question: Are cyclists responsible citizens

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm

We're peoples same as everybody else.

Tho' I am convinced that the only time some peds and smokeboxers actually see riders is when they misbehave, hence their impression that ALL riders are scofflaws..

We. Can't. Win.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Interesting links today on www.bikesnobnyc.com concerning ethical behaviour & the law. Of course the reference to Kant made a pleasant whooshing sound as it passed over my head - I am more familiar with the Monty Python reference.

You are too cynical Mulga Bill. Just like the Auusie in the 400m tonight we can win, but it's not the way to bet.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:24 pm

The anger at people on bikes running reds has nothing to do with breaking the law. It has everything to do with competition.

They simply cannot stand someone getting ahead of them and use breaking of the law as an excuse. In the same way some people that just dont want to ride, because its too hard or not trendy/cool in their minds will abuse the excuse of having to wear a helmet.

The reasoning behind the red light anger comes from every single ride I do and pretty much every time I drive my car[82 Datsun Pulsar worth out $800] Some people just HAVE to overtake me. If they overtake me and get to the lights,intersection,driveway,Mcdonalds drive through,parking spot or just move one place forward in near stationary traffic.....they win.

How many times have you had a car come past you only to brake hard and turn left in front of you or right on you? You cannot avoid it by road craft so save your lectures, it happens when claiming the lane.

Its not the breaking the law that upsets them[well, not the most vitriolic of them] Its what they see as cheating in the race to get ahead that upsets them.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Baldy wrote:The anger at people on bikes running reds has nothing to do with breaking the law. It has everything to do with competition.

They simply cannot stand someone getting ahead of them and use breaking of the law as an excuse. In the same way some people that just dont want to ride, because its too hard or not trendy/cool in their minds will abuse the excuse of having to wear a helmet.

The reasoning behind the red light anger comes from every single ride I do and pretty much every time I drive my car[82 Datsun Pulsar worth out $800] Some people just HAVE to overtake me. If they overtake me and get to the lights,intersection,driveway,Mcdonalds drive through,parking spot or just move one place forward in near stationary traffic.....they win.

How many times have you had a car come past you only to brake hard and turn left in front of you or right on you? You cannot avoid it by road craft so save your lectures, it happens when claiming the lane.

Its not the breaking the law that upsets them[well, not the most vitriolic of them] Its what they see as cheating in the race to get ahead that upsets them.

I agree, I am always amazed at the amount of drivers who scream by only to stop at a red light 100 metres down the road. Then they take off like the bat out of hell to get to the next one that they can plainly see is red just a bit further along.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *