Anyone doing the Genovese Kinglake Ride this year ?

ConstantPeddler

Anyone doing the Genovese Kinglake Ride this year ?

Postby ConstantPeddler » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Link removed by moderator

Iam going to give the Kinglake Ride a go in the 115km, a little apprehensive of how I'll go as I haven't been able to ride as much as I'd like to this Winter. Has anyone done the 115km ride ? Is anyone else riding it this year? Would be good to hear thoughts if you have done this ride before ?

zakka101

Re: Anyone doing the Genovese Kinglake Ride this year ?

Postby zakka101 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:11 pm

hey man,

im in for the 115. have ridden kinglake the past 3 weekends in a row just clocking over 100k each time. must say its a great ride. cannot wait to be whizzing down into whittlesea at 70k an hour through those windy roads!

Brettlikes2ride

Postby Brettlikes2ride » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi Peddler,

I did it the last 2 years, 1st year my knee gave out half way (ending in surgery)but i ended up finishing on one leg, 2nd year i cut it short due to the shocking weather.

I know they have moved the ride a few weeks later in the yr this yr but given the terrain it's very succeptable to bad weather, last yr i got to kinglake and it was hailing and about 3deg, we all huddled at the rest stop and thought stuff it, most of the field cut it short from what i could see.

I would be really well prepared gear wise for the weather, nothing worse than riding with wet feet in the freezing cold.

As for the course itself, it's quite good with quiet roads in general, (supersprint run good events, i do the otways one from torquay) but you should be climbing every mountain you can between now and then, especially if you are not used to climbing, i ride kinglake a bit over summer and it's not easy but the more you do it the better you are.

Anyway i probably won't be doing it this yr, partially due to financial issues but also the weather is just too dicey for that time of yr.
2011 Pinarello FPquattro
2009 Giant Defy1 (spare bike now)

SPC

Postby SPC » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 pm

There is already a thread for this in the "Victoria" section. I was thinking about it but i think its a hill too far for me at this stage! Maybe next year...

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:04 am

is it me or is this years kit ugly?
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Brettlikes2ride

Postby Brettlikes2ride » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:01 pm

pawnii wrote:is it me or is this years kit ugly?
I haven't seen this years one, i think they switched manufactures from memory, last 2 yrs were nalani and i much prefer them to the 2xu ones they use for the otways classic one.
I find the 2XU ones don't fit near as well but i guess they are free!
2011 Pinarello FPquattro
2009 Giant Defy1 (spare bike now)

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Im in for the 115km route as well this, currently building my way to a 100km constant ride at the moment. This years jersey I think is a better design than last year and the jersey itself feels nicer than the nalini. I havent worn it out on a ride yet, hoping too when it is a little warmer.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:52 pm

In for the 115km. This years jersey is better but still ugly IMHO
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:52 pm

heaps of riders out riding kinglake today, i rode alone and everyone else had a riding partner haha!
it was bloody windy though i tell ya!