New rules for road users of the A.C.T.

twizzle

New rules for road users of the A.C.T.

Postby twizzle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am

I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

cp123

Re: New rules for road users of the A.C.T.

Postby cp123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:29 am

I saw that. Didn't sit well with me/

Similar to this one isn't it.... http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 1v2sr.html Unfortunately the result here was awful.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Video camera and claim the entire lane is probably the only safe solution now.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:37 pm

I'm working less hours at the moment (not enough customer demand). :oops: so my pay has taken a serious dive. They're still on my wish list but unless i happen to inherit a Nigerian fortune they'll just have to wait.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:25 pm

It seems a little too common for Action drivers to overtake cyclists despite needing to turn left before it is reasonable to and there is enough space between them and the cyclist. I have been on the receiving end a few times. Last edition was coming up to a roundabout in the dark at about 40kmh. 30m out from the roundabout I was just behind his front door and he was moving over on me. I held my line and gave him a blast from my helmet mount lights. He backed off, which was lucky. I could have bunny hopped the gutter.

But you are right. Sitting in the middle of the lane seems the only safe way approaching intersections of any kind.

That article sounded like there were other forces at play, though. Perhaps it wasnt as clear cut somehow...???

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:33 pm

mrgolf wrote:...
That article sounded like there were other forces at play, though. Perhaps it wasnt as clear cut somehow...???
Oxford wrote:understatement of the year I think, iPod, drug user (was he high at the time?), then making claims about spinal injuries, yet still rides and skateboards. I think the magistrate saw right through this guy.
Not a magistrate - Acting Supreme Court Justice Margaret Sidis, formerly of the District Court of NSW. I have a personal view on her abilites & judgement, but am no doubt biased due to the circumstances.

FXST01

Postby FXST01 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:55 pm

I have had the same bus (398) (Canberra Ave) twice pull in front of me and swerve into his passenger pick up point causing me to either brake heavily or hope no one is coming up the lane behind me. The bus was that close the last time he did it. Both times he floors the bus to get in front and then swerve, he could wait the 20 secs it takes me to pass that pick up point but no he doesn't.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:44 pm

I should know better than to rely upon a newspaper getting anything resembling the facts right.

The decision is Jaajaa v Australian Capital Territory [2012] ACTSC 130. The cyclist was proceeding in a northerly direction on Krefft St, Florey towards the intersection with Barnard Circuit.

The cyclist's account of the incident is recorded as follows
cyclist wrote:he was travelling at about 30-40km/h ... He estimated the speed of the bus to be 50km/h ... the bus overtook him at about 50-100 metres from the intersection with Barnard Circuit. When the bus was about 30 metres ahead of his position, the driver braked and indicated at the same time and started to turn the corner. The plaintiff said that he was unable to bring his bicycle to a stop. He applied his brakes to both the front and rear wheels and attempted to go around the bus but did not have time to do so. He therefore stayed to the left hand side of the road close to the gutter. He collided with the left hand side of the bus, near its centre, but closer to the rear wheels.

I must confess that if her Honour has set out the evidence accurately, I am struggling to see how the accident occured. I also struggle with how it can be described as a left hook.

Of course the most telling question is the one that was not asked - even if the bus was travelling 60 km/h like the driver claimed & even if he came up to the cyclist 500 meters from the intersection (ie around boswell crescent) - staying behind a cyclist doing 30 km/h would only have "cost" him 15 seconds & that what he might hav done to avoid the collission was not execute the pass at all. Sadly that doesn't appear to have occured to anyone involved in the case.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Had one this morning on Northbourne, passed me and immediately indicated, I passed him on the right well before he stopped. If I had kept my speed up, I would have ended up beside him before he pulled in... I wonder if he would have given way to me? Anyone care to guess? :roll:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:27 pm

The buses are worse on Northbourne Ave after 5pm and there are more of them. Buses and the differing speeds (and bike handling skills) of the commuter cyclists it's a wonder there isn't several deaths everyday. I deliberately detour 10km out of my way on my commute home to avoid Northbourne Ave.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:03 pm

twizzle wrote:I wonder if he would have given way to me? Anyone care to guess? :roll:
Twizz, you would have been nailed.

After being left hooked a year or so back on Northbourne, I continued to brave the green lanes and the traffic from Comm Ave to Dickson (on Northbourne) up until recently. After the Jims Mowing debacle, and more near misses I have retreated to the bike paths of the inner north - my desire to see my two little boys grow old far outweigh my desire to get to and from work a bit quicker.

Having said that, I would like to put forward a nomination for "The most dangerous 400m of cycling you can do in Canberra".

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the ANU Exchange in Childers Street Acton. I would argue that the introduction of "20km shared zone" signs has apparently absolved everyone's responsibility to give way, keep left, use designated crossings, and actually check for traffic when crossing the road. I have already bitten the dust braking suddenly for a student type crossing the road with ipod in, completely oblivious to her surroundings.

Ride safe people!

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:

Jaajaa v Australian Capital Territory

When did that Binks character move to Canberra? With the amount of awareness you need to be able to ride on Canberra's roads safely I am not surprised he had an incident