Rear wheel with indoor trainers

averagerider

Rear wheel with indoor trainers

Postby averagerider » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Thinking of getting a fluid trainer, due to getting home late and not wanting to ride on country roads I don't know that well at night while I'm working away

Have spoke to a couple of my local bike shops and they mentioned something about using a steel skewer in the rear wheel.

just wondering does anyone run a spare wheel for your trainer instead of wearing out your standard wheel.

Not sure what the done thing is with these trainers it's gunna be my first experience.

Cheers for any help
Luke

Nobody

Re: Rear wheel with indoor trainers

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Some run another wheel with a trainer tyre. I just use my normal wheel and tyre. You need a steel trainer skewer which often comes with the trainer. I also usually just leave the trainer skewer in permanently these days. If the trainer doesn't come with one:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kur ... r-ec029836

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:22 am

Nobody wrote:Some run another wheel with a trainer tyre. I just use my normal wheel and tyre. You need a steel trainer skewer which often comes with the trainer. I also usually just leave the trainer skewer in permanently these days. If the trainer doesn't come with one:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kur ... r-ec029836
+1
i used to swap the skewer in and out if i was heading for a road ride, then i got lazy, i can deal with an extra 200 grams

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:36 pm

averagerider wrote:just wondering does anyone run a spare wheel for your trainer instead of wearing out your standard wheel.
Tyre wear is hugely variable betwen trainer type and tyre brand.

My experience with a low end Minoura MagTurbo ranges from:

- complete tyre destruction (tyre profile squared off and piles of powdered rubber on the floor, bike and trainer). I have experienced this with Vittoria Rubinos, GP4000's and those trainer specific tyres (the red one - a Conti I think)

through to.....

- no discernable difference (just a slight glossy sheen where the tyre was pressed against the roller). This has been on my new favourite tyre which is a Panaracer Pasela. Yes, more of a touring tyre but incredibly hardy with good grip levels.

I train indoors and commute on the one tyre - very convenient and negates the possible excuse of "Can't be stuffed training tonight cos I gotta change wheels/tyres."

nescius

Postby nescius » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:03 pm

I use a spare wheel with a trainer specific tyre, and the steel skewer that came with the trainer stays with the wheel. I bought the tyre from Wiggle around 3 years ago for about $40, it's still going strong - I think it was this one.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 pm

why do they recommend the use of a steel skewer? i've recently dusted off my turbo trainer and am still using the original skewer that came with my Mavic Aksiums. The world hasn't imploded and my house hasn't burnt down yet so I hope I haven't misaligned my chakras too much??

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:16 pm

Buy a Lemond Trainer no wheel needed :P

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 am

Marty Moose wrote:Buy a Lemond Trainer no wheel needed :P

Just big ear plugs

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:46 pm

averagerider wrote:Thinking of getting a fluid trainer, due to getting home late and not wanting to ride on country roads I don't know that well at night while I'm working away

Have spoke to a couple of my local bike shops and they mentioned something about using a steel skewer in the rear wheel.

just wondering does anyone run a spare wheel for your trainer instead of wearing out your standard wheel.

Not sure what the done thing is with these trainers it's gunna be my first experience.

Cheers for any help
Luke
The Kurt Kinetic (which we sell) comes with a steel skewer. You can use most standard skewers but they will get some scratches on them from the trainer which may or may not bother you.

I wouldn't bother swapping wheels unless you are using very expensive tyres - a decent trainer won't chew up your tyres.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:36 pm

jcjordan wrote:

Just big ear plugs

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
LOL! Yep I have one and love it, darn loud, but a great unit!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:59 pm

drnick79 wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

Just big ear plugs
This is appparently the next big thing:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/firs ... kickr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like a LeMond but more high tech and without the permanent hearing loss!

I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that it comes in and $500-600...and in time for xmas!

Yorkie

Postby Yorkie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:40 am

Thanks for posting that bpmhigh. After reading that writeup and seeing it in action in those videos, I'll be first-adopting that wahoo trainer. I'm thinking 800aud is probably the price ballpark that we'll be looking at.

drnick79

Postby drnick79 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 am

Yorkie wrote:Thanks for posting that bpmhigh. After reading that writeup and seeing it in action in those videos, I'll be first-adopting that wahoo trainer. I'm thinking 800aud is probably the price ballpark that we'll be looking at.
Yeah, if it is something I can setup in the lounge and watch TV whilst on it then I am sold. With my unit now I have to use it in the garage!

S
Rides
Giant TCR Advanced SL0
Jamis Dakota D29 Pro