Helmets no longer available on Wiggle?

rednaxela

Helmets no longer available on Wiggle?

Postby rednaxela » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 pm

Just wanted to know what is available on Wiggle but when I clicked on the Helmet heading, only helmet cams and accessories come up. Tried this 3x and ended up with the same result. Looks like Wiggle no longer sell helmets to AUS? Oh boy, seems the another 'win' for the local helmet distributors (not!). With the all hoopla about the AUS standards sticker being stuck on your helmet lining, this just takes the cake.

Kenzo

Re: Helmets no longer available on Wiggle?

Postby Kenzo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:19 pm

rednaxela wrote:Just wanted to know what is available on Wiggle but when I clicked on the Helmet heading, only helmet cams and accessories come up. Tried this 3x and ended up with the same result. Looks like Wiggle no longer sell helmets to AUS? Oh boy, seems the another 'win' for the local helmet distributors (not!). With the all hoopla about the AUS standards sticker being stuck on your helmet lining, this just takes the cake.
I just bought my helmets from Merlin instead. Delivered in under a week via UPS. Excellent!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:27 pm

I believe either wiggle or c r c has something in train to address the issue around certification.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm

From Wiggle's website -

Why are there no helmets?
We are currently reviewing our range of helmets for the Australian market to ensure they comply with the appropriate safety standards for this market. If you have any queries with regards to this please contact our customer service team. We apologise for the inconvenience whilst we work towards offering an updated selection of products as soon as possible.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

petal665

Postby petal665 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm

I think whatever Wiggle are trying to do is probably a good thing.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:58 pm

So do I. Hopefully good pricing coming our way.

Andrew

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Andrew

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:11 pm

They are revising there helmets so they all comply with Australian regulations. they will be back soon

munga

Postby munga » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:32 pm

CE has some specials at the moment too

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycling/helmets.aspx

DCP

Postby DCP » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:46 pm

c r c is still shipping helmets to AUS.

The wife had one delivered late last week from them.
2012 Merida Reacto 904

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:49 pm

hi wrote:They are revising there helmets so they all comply with Australian regulations. they will be back soon
I fail to see how they can do this. Unless it has an AU/NZ standard sticker on it, it doesn't comply.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:45 pm

Helmets are tested at independent labs according to criteria, so there's probably no reason why this cannot be done overseas. And why couldn't an overseas supplier obtain the suitable stickers if they demonstrate that the helmets they are selling meet the standard? Be interesting to see if that is what they are doing.

toofat

Postby toofat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

petal665 wrote:
hi wrote:They are revising there helmets so they all comply with Australian regulations. they will be back soon
I fail to see how they can do this. Unless it has an AU/NZ standard sticker on it, it doesn't comply.
the difference between my specialized helmet bought in Australia and one i compared it to in a bike shop in UK was the sticker. probably the case with many brands already being sold over here, you pay Australia Standards the money, if they have already tested and approved your helmet model they send you the stickers

there are some that believe that they are getting vastly superior head protection because it has this sticker and others that believe that more protection is going to businesses than the head :D

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 pm

Not sure with pushbike helmets but the legislation for motor bikes states It must be a type approved by the director generals office.If it can be shown to be the same as the approved type you can use without a as sticker.Just out of curiosity can international riders in a race use their own helmet when competing in Australia?

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:31 pm

So the cops will be pulling us over to check if we have sticker on helmet? or no insurance if we are to have accident if we dont have sticker? i can get you all giro livestrong fully colored helmets for 80$ :wink:

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 pm

They are the same helmet, but unless they have the sticker they are illegal to use. Read up on it. It gives the insurance company an out. Especially if you are racing.

ray

Postby ray » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm

petal665 wrote:They are the same helmet, but unless they have the sticker they are illegal to use. Read up on it. It gives the insurance company an out. Especially if you are racing.
Noticed today in a Wiggle sales promotion email that they now stock AS/NZS 2063 approved Met helmets: http://www.this link is broken/?r=1544/

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Interesting. Not really a competitive price though... eg. http://www.pushys.com.au/met-inferno-ul-helmet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;