2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

clackers

Re: 2012 - Around the Bay in a Day

Postby clackers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:52 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote:well my big weekend has been scuttled by the weather :cry:

I did my 62km yesterday in the rain and experimented with my food, by not having any. Well that was a mistake as the last 20km was hard work, especially being wet and increasingly cold. :
I had a good workout yesterday with the good people of the Melbourne Bike Touring Club, YVP, maybe 90km of an "undulating" circuit from Moe to Mirboo North and back.

The riding weather was probably better than Melbourne, I had fruit cake and the occasional drink mix to get through it.

The lunch at the Grand Ridge Brewery would probably not have made it onto your sports nutritionist's list. The local beers included one with an eye-watering 11% alcohol content!

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:59 pm

clackers wrote:The local beers included one with an eye-watering 11% alcohol content!
Now your avatar makes sense...LOL :lol:
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:39 pm

DoogleDave wrote:
Now your avatar makes sense...LOL :lol:
I've actually had a couple of coffee mugs made up with that image ... my work colleagues know straight away which cups are mine!

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:40 pm

clackers wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:well my big weekend has been scuttled by the weather :cry:

I did my 62km yesterday in the rain and experimented with my food, by not having any. Well that was a mistake as the last 20km was hard work, especially being wet and increasingly cold. :
I had a good workout yesterday with the good people of the Melbourne Bike Touring Club, YVP, maybe 90km of an "undulating" circuit from Moe to Mirboo North and back.

The riding weather was probably better than Melbourne, I had fruit cake and the occasional drink mix to get through it.

The lunch at the Grand Ridge Brewery would probably not have made it onto your sports nutritionist's list. The local beers included one with an eye-watering 11% alcohol content!
Grand Ridge make a few nice beers and it would have made a very nice sunday ride :D

Well I have a leave pass on of sorts, I just need to be home by 9:30am on Saturday, so thats the usual 62km ride covered and home by 1:00pm on Sunday

I have just mapped out a ride from my place to the basin, up the 1:20, down to Monbulk, back up the wall for the first time. I will then ride to sky high and then down to montrose. Off to croydon and up kent ave down plymoth road to ringwood an then head back to lilydale via mooroolbark and hull road. All up 88km and over 1100m of climbing which should be a very good work out :shock:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:55 am

yarravalleyplodder wrote:back up the wall for the first time.
That's got a nice little 9% or so segment to it ... I prepared for Skenes Creek Rd on the Otway Classic in March with a couple of repeats of this, Plodder.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:26 pm

clackers wrote:
yarravalleyplodder wrote:back up the wall for the first time.
That's got a nice little 9% or so segment to it ... I prepared for Skenes Creek Rd on the Otway Classic in March with a couple of repeats of this, Plodder.
Thanks for the info clackers and well done on doing repeats of the wall, I have descended the wall a coupe of times so I am sure it will hurt going up and I wont be getting a KOM on strava, in fact I will be happy if I am not the slowest :lol:

I have kept my Mt Dandy climbs to the 1:20 for now and did it a number of times for my otways training. A guy at work has been telling me I need to extend myself and climb up the hill twice so I decided I will go up the familiar 1:20 and then tackle the wall for my double up :shock: .
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:29 pm

yarravalleyplodder wrote: I have kept my Mt Dandy climbs to the 1:20 for now and did it a number of times for my otways training. A guy at work has been telling me I need to extend myself and climb up the hill twice so I decided I will go up the familiar 1:20 and then tackle the wall for my double up :shock: .
That'll be great.

There's a hint of the Clydesdale about me, but I have gone up to Skyline from the 1:20, The Wall, and from Montrose.

A steeper attempt from Upper Ferntree Gully failed, but as that blowhard General MacArthur promised, "I shall return!"

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:05 pm

well I have finished my weekends training and on Saturday and I managed to take 9 minutes of last weeks run. Amazing what a gel and a little less rain will do :)

Now today, I set out from home to the basin and climbed the 1:20 and according to strava I managed a PB, so we are happy with that :D I then rode to Olinda, turned right and headed for Monbulk. Strava tells me I did a pb on the decent and considering its only my 2nd time down that road its not a surprise.

I had a gel and a museli bar in Monbulk and set off back for Olinda.

OMG :shock: the Wall needs to be called The F :evil: :twisted: :evil: beep beeeeeeeeeep Wall

That climb killed me, to the point I had to stop twice just get catch my breath and allow the heart rate to come down a tad. Maybe if it wasnt my second climb of the day I may have made it up without stopping but in the end I made it to Olinda and progressed towards sky high and can I tell you I was mighty please when I made it there, my major climbing for the day was done.

I chilled for about 10 minutes, had soemthing to eat and decended the mountain and strava tells me I did a PB on my decent and I think this may have been my first dry decent into Montrose and it was good fun averaging over 45kmh.

I rode to croydon, up kent road to croydon hills into ringwood via wonga road, back up to montrose and back into Lilydale

here are the stats off my Garmin

Distance: 89.76 km
Time: 4:34:34
Moving Time: 4:29:08
Elapsed Time: 5:36:09
Avg Speed: 19.6 km/h
Avg Moving Speed: 20.0 km/h
Max Speed: 65.2 km/h
Elevation Gain: 1,368 m
Calories: 5,958

I have done a 145km ride in the past but today was tougher, I may stick to the flat next week :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi YVP- Nice to see you up the top at Sky High this morning. I'm feeling a little lacking though. Your stats today put me to shame on all fronts. :(

After doing what you did today, the 250km ATBIAD should be a breeze (well.....maybe).

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:50 pm

G'Day Toyopet nice to meet you too, you shouldnt worry, you came up from ferntree gully, I aint tackling that one for a while

I must say I felt good on the flats so I am hoping my training will be enough for the ATB, maybe I will see you on the road in October or maybe before up at the look out, it was a good view :D
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Question for those that have done the ATB in previous years.

What can one expect to receive for lunch on the day?

Also, I assume that at the rest stops along the way they will provide both water and energy drink top-ups (or will it only be water)?

I'm just trying to ascertain what to expect on the day so i can factor this into my training.

Cheers,
Dave

PS. great ride today YVP! Just think what all those hills will be doing for your strength and fitness... :mrgreen:

zakka101

Postby zakka101 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:03 pm

YVP i love your attitude. you are killing it.
Z

dusty_nz

Postby dusty_nz » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi Everyone.

Paul here from West Australia.

Was really keen with heading over to do the 250km ATB circuit but they are all sold out.

Are there any other ways to get into the start of the 250km without waiting another year?

Completed the 5 Dams ride here in WA. 235km, 2400m, Ave of 28.5km/h.

Also looking at the 3 Peaks next year.

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks DoogleDave & zakka

Its just over 2 months to go before my half marathon and ABD so I need to start putting in some effort into the training

My thighs hate me today but I am sure they will feel fine when I do a 7.5km run tomorrow :lol:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:21 pm

I was hoping to start my training last week but unfortunately the weather didn't permit (excuses I know haha) nah the real reason was that my road bike wasn't on the road yet (technically its an off road bike lmao). I will be training after work and hopefully to work from now on if I can get the bike going good.

My reward for attending will likely be a new Cycle Computer and a set of carbon clincher wheels :mrgreen:
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 pm

DoogleDave wrote:What can one expect to receive for lunch on the day? Also, I assume that at the rest stops along the way they will provide both water and energy drink top-ups (or will it only be water)?
A light lunch with various goodies including an energy drink top up. Energy drink top ups are also at rest stops according to others, but I've only seen water at these stops. Maybe I stopped at the wrong stops. :(

More info here and at nearby threads.

David_G

Postby David_G » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 am

Yesterday I received an email from Bupa, with the title "latest news".
Here is a bit about food stops.
I replied to them and asked if there was any other catering en route.
I'll post up their reply when I get it, they are usually quick to do that.
I cut this out of the email

You will need to show your wrist band to pick up your lunch and/or snack from one of four spots listed below:
Queenscliff - 250km and 210km Melbourne - Queenscliff - Melbourne
Sorrento - 210km Melbourne - Sorrento - Melbourne
Mordialloc - SCODY 135km
Alexandra Gardens - all other ride options
Your wrist band will be within your registration pack, which you can expect to receive next month.
I just love riding my bike!

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'll plan on taking most of what I need and rely on a sandwich and small snack as the lunch pack.

Do many people ride with backpacks or just stuff everything as much as possible in the rear jersey pocket?

I ended up changing my route yesterday - got a refund on the 210km M-S-F-Q-M route and bought a ticket for the M-S-M (no ferry) instead.
I thought for my 1st attempt on stay on land and not have to worry about the ferry crossing (and many in the local cycling club are also doing the MSM route as well, so I should have company on the ride (not including the other 1000's of other riders on the road at the time) :lol:

Dave

David_G

Postby David_G » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:28 pm

I got a reply this arvo.
I'm planning on getting on the bike at about 4am, that'll get me into the city in time to "start" with everyone else and not be late for the bridge or ferry.
I might still take the car in, but where will I leave it? I'm thinking I won't save much time. Maybe I'll park down Pt Melbourne way.
I imagine there'll be plenty of others driving in to start so I don't want to waste any time looking for a legal all day park.

Hi David, thanks for the message. Soon you will receive the ride guide that will detail the locations and closing times of all rest stops. This information will also soon be published on the website.

It is important to note that we do not endorse participants starting outside official start areas, and therefore you will be unsupported if you start anywhere apart from Alexandra Gardens. All route support is timed to coincide with typical starts and this includes ferry times and Westgate bridge closing times.

By looking at from your registration I have noticed that you are heading anticlockwise. This means that if you start in Frankston and ride over the Westagte you will need to be there by 07:30am as the bridge closes for 210km riders then. Also the last ferry from Queesncilff is at 1pm.

If you do not cross the line at the start you will not be officially recognised as participating in the event.

I hope that this information is useful for you to make a decision on your plans for the day. I hope you enjoy this special 20th ride celebration!

--
Kind regards,
Mark - Senior Event Coordinator

Bicycle Network
Tel 03 8376 8888 / 1800 639 634
I just love riding my bike!

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:45 pm

you can park all day at freemasons medical centre for $9.. and only a short 5min ride to the start line..
Ill be parking there.. I just happen to work there to :)

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Luckily I work in the city so I have free secure undercover parking for the day

I just received the latest email about the ATB ride so will have a good read tonight.

Dave

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:28 am

my training plans this weekend have been thrown due a sick child and my sense of duty, doing the right thing in letting the wife sleep in to recover from such a crap night. Originally I was ok with it but now that I can see it wouldnt have rained on my ride and I am feeling but uuuggghhhh now, the bloody sun is out now :shock:

I now need to ensure I do some exercise on the weekend if I dont want to be ripping somebody's head off by the Sunday night :wink:
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:41 am

I'm hoping the weather clears up by the afternoon so I can get a ride in today. At the moment the sun keeps coming in and out.
Woke up at 7am to go for a club ride and saw the rain so I had breaky and watched some Olympics instead.

Maybe you can take the opportunity to clean the bike and give it a good check over. At least it will make you feel like you've done something related to cycling....LOL

Dave

clackers

Postby clackers » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:20 pm

DoogleDave wrote:I'm hoping the weather clears up by the afternoon so I can get a ride in today.
Actually, Dave, prudent prep for the event should include riding in rain and wind, and not letting the conditions get to you! :smile:

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:36 pm

That is true. The wind doesn't bother me but I really need to get some wet weather gear as the few times I have ridden in the rain I was completely soaked through and it wasn't enjoyable...so until I am setup right I try not to go out in the wet.

Of course if it rains during the event then I'll just have to deal with it (and hopefully I'll have some gear by then as well).

Might just have to settle with riding on the trainer for now...

Dave