Brisbane's next big project - Article

Brisbane's next big project - Article

Postby beauyboy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 am

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 23wtg.html

An interesting article in the Brisbane Times today. If only we could get the Northern Bikeway?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated
beauyboy

by BNA » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:39 am

BNA

Re: Brisbane's next big project - Article

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:39 am

beauyboy wrote:http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/is-brisbanes-next-big-project-a-bicycle-superhighway-20120809-23wtg.html

An interesting article in the Brisbane Times today. If only we could get the Northern Bikeway?

Donald

Thanks for that - I snorted coffee out my nose when I saw they were proposing to fund it by crowd sourcing :roll:
find_bruce

Postby vaeske » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:28 pm

good that we're thinking about it...but how far away are we really?
vaeske

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:
beauyboy wrote:http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/is-brisbanes-next-big-project-a-bicycle-superhighway-20120809-23wtg.html

Donald

Thanks for that - I snorted coffee out my nose when I saw they were proposing to fund it by crowd sourcing :roll:

Actually what she said is ..

Instead, the city should look to developing bicycle superhighways with the same enthusiasm devoted to infrastructure for cars, with the North Brisbane Cycleway she planned as part of Brisbane’s northern transport corridor standing as an example.

Though funding for big, new infrastructure projects is limited at a state and local government level, Ms Smith said the best way for the city to harness pedal power began with people power.

Crowd-sourcing ideas and donations should be seriously considered as a means of seeing public works delivered that the public really wanted, she said.

“Nobody has ever crowd-funded a bicycle-way before so I’d like to see if that’s possible,” Ms Smith said.

“I’ve already been approached by a crowd-funding platform and I’d like to see if we can possibly look at crowd-funding a cycling superhighway in Brisbane.

So she is suggesting that it could be tried in combination with state and federal funding... nothing wrong with that; just another form of a PPP.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby find_bruce » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:57 am

You are right Andrew the funding proposal is so much more than a hand waving exercise. If they don't raise enough money they can always add a lamington drive & sausage sizzle
find_bruce

Postby liquor box » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:15 am

I still think there is a huge opportunity to deliver a bike path network running next to the current Rail network, there are already access roads for the QR people to use, these could be paved and used for Cycling. This would provide a flat arterial network that then only needs smaller paths joining into it.

I was watching the Eneco tour this morning and in Holland they have a law that every Road built that is not a national highway has to have a separate bike lane built with it, even when it is just repaired.
liquor box

Return to Queensland