2012 Cyclist fatalities

CommuRider

Re: 2012 Cyclist fatalities

Postby CommuRider » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm surprised you've cited a study where the UK fatality is LOWER than the Netherlands. A google news search reveals plenty of cycling road deaths in the UK. Either there are more UK cyclists than Dutch ones or that study needs to reflect more recent data.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

zero

Postby zero » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:50 pm

CommuRider wrote:I'm surprised you've cited a study where the UK fatality is LOWER than the Netherlands. A google news search reveals plenty of cycling road deaths in the UK. Either there are more UK cyclists than Dutch ones or that study needs to reflect more recent data.
Participation rate, and total kms cycled in the netherlands is vastly larger. England has twice the fatalities per km or per participant for cyclists.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed May 02, 2012 10:07 am

http://www.carnegiecycling.com.au/2012/ ... ug-garley/
The terrible news came through last night that long time CCCC member Doug Garley had been killed after being struck by a car on a training ride in his new home of Ballarat.

Doug, a former European and Australian Professional rider, and his family lived for many years just a few metres from the Packer Park Velodrome, and was an enthusiastic and old school trackie, always ready to help new-comers to the sport with tips and tactics, and single gluing (with shellac!) lessons. Shane Perkins was among the younger riders he took under his wing with great success.
from http://www.hepburnadvocate.com.au/news/ ... 41757.aspx
He was struck from behind by a blue Holden Barina about 4pm and died at the scene.

The female driver aged in her 80s from Clunes, is assisting Creswick police with their inquiries.
my sincere condolences. but i'm angry that at least someone somewhere has known that old "doris" has been stubbornly getting behind the wheel, probably despite numerous 'harmless' fender benders, you just can't tell her to stop driving :evil:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed May 02, 2012 4:15 pm

:evil: :twisted:

My condolences.

cotterpin

Postby cotterpin » Mon May 07, 2012 9:03 am

Rest in peace Doug
a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest

itsaghostcar

Postby itsaghostcar » Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am

Sadly, another fatality to report.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/cycl ... 6354474752
AN 82-year-old cyclist who had both legs amputated after he was hit by a truck in New Farm has died of his injuries.

It is believed the man was going around the Kent and James Street roundabout when the was hit by a truck about 7am.

Both his legs were amputated at scene and he was rushed to the Royal Brisbane Hospital in a serious condition.

He died shortyy after 9am.

Traffic delays are expected, and motorists are urged to seek an alternate route.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Mon May 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Horrible way to die. :cry: Hit, amputation, shock, blood loss. Hope he was unconscious after being hit. So sad.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 14, 2012 4:46 pm

CommuRider wrote:Horrible way to die. :cry: Hit, amputation, shock, blood loss. Hope he was unconscious after being hit. So sad.
Not wrong there, what a rotten way to go after lasting so long and looking after himself enough to be riding at 82 :cry:
Condolences to those he left behind.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon May 14, 2012 6:28 pm

:(
2012 Oppy A4

newbikeorupgrade

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 pm

So sad did they get the person?
This is why cyclists get angry it doesn't matter who''s fault it is it is normally the cyclist that gets killed.
The ABC need to know that fault or not the ratio of deaths would be in at least 100,000:1 not a fair game to play.

Mysta

Postby Mysta » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Not the most poignant post for a Newbie however after having so many near misses lately I decided to start conducting some research.

Frightening stuff really.

"In the fifteen years from 1991 to 2005, 665 cyclists were killed in road crashes"

And we haven't added 2005 to 2012 yet.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Mysta wrote:Not the most poignant post for a Newbie however after having so many near misses lately I decided to start conducting some research.

Frightening stuff really.

"In the fifteen years from 1991 to 2005, 665 cyclists were killed in road crashes"

And we haven't added 2005 to 2012 yet.
You might care to consider and comment on the information on this thread Road Deaths Australia—2011 Statistical Summary - it shows a slight improvement on the numbers but there were still 173 cyclists killed in the period 2005 to 2011

RobM

Postby RobM » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:35 am

Anyone know any more information on the poor guy hit marshalling the Adelaide cycling event? Cycling related incident i guess.
Is he recovering in hospital okay? I only heard a breif snippet on the radio.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:22 am

There's this bit of news out of the London Olympics. Apparently a cyclist was hit and killed by an Olympic shuttle bus...

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:52 am

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/two-f ... 23gi6.html Not fatalities - but still serious. :(

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Re the olympic bus accident - a summary of the chap who tried to help. cross posted from the bike vic website.

Bless his beautiful heart :( :(

Be warned. It is a sobering article. read at your own risk. :|

http://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comme ... r_his_last

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:18 pm

cp123 wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/two-f ... 23gi6.html Not fatalities - but still serious. :(

From the link
Before sunrise this morning, a cyclist in Ascot Vale lost control of his bike and veered into the path of an oncoming car.
Police said the man was riding down Maribyrnong Road near Epsom Road when the collision happened about 6am.
An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said the cyclist was knocked unconscious by the collision and was treated at the scene, before being rushed to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a critical condition with life-threatening head injuries.
Advertisement
The driver of the car stopped at the scene and is assisting police with their inquiries.

Anyone else finding the description of how the accident occurred a bit on the nose?

Conveniently the cyclist was unconscious and his injuries will mean that his recall of the incident will forever be under question leaving only the motorists version. Helmet cams running at all times you're on your bike people
2012 Oppy A4

maryusdemetry

Postby maryusdemetry » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 am

KonaCommuter wrote:
cp123 wrote:http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/two-f ... 23gi6.html Not fatalities - but still serious. :(

From the link
Before sunrise this morning, a cyclist in Ascot Vale lost control of his bike and veered into the path of an oncoming car.
Police said the man was riding down Maribyrnong Road near Epsom Road when the collision happened about 6am.
An Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said the cyclist was knocked unconscious by the collision and was treated at the scene, before being rushed to the Royal Melbourne Hospital in a critical condition with life-threatening head injuries.
Advertisement
The driver of the car stopped at the scene and is assisting police with their inquiries.

Anyone else finding the description of how the accident occurred a bit on the nose?

Conveniently the cyclist was unconscious and his injuries will mean that his recall of the incident will forever be under question leaving only the motorists version. Helmet cams running at all times you're on your bike people
Really bad news.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 am

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 42979.aspx

Terrible news. If it is where I am thinking, 80 or 90k zone, around a fast sweeping corner and up onto the bridge (crest) facing into the afternoon sun and with the shoulder narrowing.
Last edited by bychosis on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 am

Just awful news - cleaned up from behind & launched off the bridge. My condolences to his friends & family

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:46 pm

I was a regular commuter on the New England Hwy near where this fatality happened. That was until yesterday. Now I'm gonna use the excellent bus service and save my cycling for safer, calmer, quieter roads......

This pinch point has been a very well known hazard for a very long time. The road shoulder disappears on a bend at an old, narrow rail overpass. It's a 90 zone and in busy afternoon westbound traffic also adds the hazard of the setting sun. I wouldn't cycle here at 5am on a Sunday morning.

But obviously my heart goes out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

zero

Postby zero » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:

If a car is 4m offline to strike an oncoming cyclist it will usually proceed to strike further vehicles or scenery before coming to rest. If the accident is a cross (ie the driver turned into an intersection or driveway), then the police will figure that out pretty quick.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:57 am

waramatt wrote:I was a regular commuter on the New England Hwy near where this fatality happened. That was until yesterday. Now I'm gonna use the excellent bus service and save my cycling for safer, calmer, quieter roads......

This pinch point has been a very well known hazard for a very long time. The road shoulder disappears on a bend at an old, narrow rail overpass. It's a 90 zone and in busy afternoon westbound traffic also adds the hazard of the setting sun. I wouldn't cycle here at 5am on a Sunday morning.

But obviously my heart goes out to everyone affected by this tragedy.
I do this bridge every day I commute. Ever since I started commuting to and from work, I have always called it a "death" point of my ride. I actually rode over the same point about 30 minutes or so before this accident. As a result, I now hop off the bike and walk across the bridge, even then there isnt a lot of room to do this, but the 30 secs or so that it may take to walk across is worth it if it means I get to arrive home.

I am sorry for the family involved and am hoping it isnt someone I have come across on my commutes...I am yet to see again someone who fits this age bracket that does this commute, hopefully it wasnt him.

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Gretaboy,

I'm feeling a bit down tonight. :cry: :cry: After reading this morning's Herald article, I realised that I "knew" this bloke.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/ ... 47238.aspx

He used to regularly ride out to Raymond Terrace most weekday afternoons. I hadn't seen much of him in the past few weeks,so maybe he'd changed his ride and decided to go up Maitland way rather than up to the Terrace. I didn't know his name until today, but we often rode the Raymo to Sandgate leg together, and would stop for a chat at the Sandgate lights. His trademark moustache made him unmistakable. He was friendly, always gave a wave and had recently upgraded to a new bike.

There's an empty spot inside me now that I know I won't come across him any more. :cry: His death is the reason I stopped commuting. My wife begged me to after hearing about this accident, so I gave in to give her peace of mind.

Glad to hear you're now taking preventative action. IMHO that one spot is far and away the most dangerous cycling black spot in the Hunter. Stay safe out there. :wink:

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells

waramatt

Postby waramatt » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:58 am

Oxford wrote:so sad and I bet preventable. waramatt, I hear you re the wife, peace of mind is a wonderful thing, happy wife, happy life.
Cheers Oxford

Thanks for the support. We all love cycling, but there is more to life. I'm just being more judicious about when and where I ride.

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

H G Wells