Homeless rider on Northern PSP?

eldavo

Homeless rider on Northern PSP?

Postby eldavo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Going back a few months I've seen a loaded bike with guy using a notebook on PSP under the bridges at Reid Hwy and one of the Vincent on/offramps.
Most regularly I've seen it early morning at the Reid Hwy subway, and rarely the guy again.
I noticed it at Carine Open Space in the evening trip home recently, and in the morning with what seemed like a swag at the Reid Hwy subway. It's at the bottom of a fast descent so have only caught glimpses over months in the dark (the subway has one light).
That spot is near the Balcatta Caravan Park next to the cycle path.
About homelessness, I recently heard of some inlaws family moving from Kalgoorlie to Dawesville are going to pay $250/week for a crummy caravan in the local caravan park to set up 3 kids in a local primary school, get rental references, and then move to a house for $340/week. It made camping out on a bike sound like a good savings plan to get on your feet.

rolandp

Re: Homeless rider on Northern PSP?

Postby rolandp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:09 pm

He is located in the Reid Hway underpass around once a week. He doesn't actually ride his bike, or at least I've never seen him, as I've only seen him asleep next to it, or pushing it stacked full of his belongings.

He gave me a scare the first time I saw him (near the Erindale Rd underpass). I noticed a body next to a bike on one of the shared path offshots, when to investigate, and it was him having a nice sleep.

I've never seen him using a notebook though.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:32 pm

I remember the first time I saw him was after lunch at the Vincent underpass, I had the morning off for daughter's 2nd birthday in park morning tea with little friends and mums. Just over 2months, but feels a lot longer with the daily commute trips.
I have noticed a lot of nice camping spots in the area as an aside.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:36 pm

It is Homeless Persons Week, but this guy is tempting fate. He now has two bikes , located last Monday and Friday under the Reid Hway underpass. This morning, located on the Civic Place overpass, where it is an other blind corner and very narrow overpass.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:01 am

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 am

Roland, it says "this video is private".
I saw him on the way home today and he had a small headlight light on his bike and said hi. Maybe you stopped and gave him a muesli bar?
I had to get home to sell our wood heater, but will have more time tomorrow and stop to say hi back if he's there.
I saw him this morning when it was freezing, didn't look like he had a swag, just lying on a mat. I kept my warm layer on until Karrinyup Rd. when normally it's the top of the steep hill just after the Reid Hwy underpass, so wondered how cold he felt.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Eldavo, have changed the setting on the video, sorry about that.

I spoke to him once when I originally saw him pushing his bike, and asked if he was OK. The response back was not that friendly, so never attempted again.

How does he get around with those two bikes, as I have never seen him ride one of them, and only seen him stationary when he has the two of them?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:59 am

I was later this morning and saw him with the loaded original bike leaning up to the path approaching Warwick Station, with the other bike at the other end of the connecting street leaned up at the unnamed park.

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:57 pm

He was at carine open space this afternoon under one of those small wooden gazebo style benches with both bikes. I just completed a run and walked pass close by. I was looking closely (i didnt have my glasses on / short sighted) & noticed he was standing there staring at me, then this thread came to mind hahha.

Walked back down with the dog and he was looking over talking to himself / or at me. My brother regularly see's him pushing both bikes, but said sometimes theres another person with him on the 2nd bike.

mike

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:21 am

I got home late last night and saw him at one of the Carine Open Space brick gazebo huts across from the Glades shops corner.
I didn't want to mention it in case our posts of his activities under Reid Hwy caused him to be moved on.
Now it's on your conscience Mike =P

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:07 am

As far as I can tell, he moves from place to place, with no set day at one place.

Personally, I would perfer him off the bike path as some of his camping spots could cause an accident.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:29 am

This morning I saw him on the smaller bike at the corner of Excalibur Way on side of path leading to Beach Rd. underpass...
...with a small camp fire going on the blue metal at side of path :)
http://www.nearmap.com/?q=Homeless%20Ca ... d=20110108

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:11 am

We sound like stalkers reporting his movements :) When i see him standing there with his i-phone then i'll feel guilty.

Eye opener with regards 2 the fire. harsh

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:28 pm

Think I spotted the bikes yesterday, but the guy wasn't around but I did think I spotted him being shifty out of the corner of my eye. Think someone was looking in cars but not too sure about that. Was just before Warwick road.
Repco bike and Kappa?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 pm

havnt had a close enough look to spot brands.

this morning whilst on the bike i could see the remains of his fire along side the path at the top end of excalibur. further up the path he was under the reid hwy overpass

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:54 pm

Well looks like he survived the worst of winter, bodies stacked two up in Royal Perth morgue:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-19/b ... ction=news

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Spotted at the bottom of Civic Pl overpass at around 6:45pm this evening.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 am

Yeah I saw him there at 4:30pm and thought there would be plenty of sightings in this thread tonight =D

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39 pm

It has been around 3 weeks, and no sign of the homeless rider until this morning. Spotted in the Reid Hway underpass at around 5:30am this morning.

Wonder where he has been and why turn up again now.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:52 pm

I saw him again same spot as you this morning ~6:30am.
I've been thinking the weather fined up not so cold and he had moved on, but we've had some cold nights, maybe it's his off-season base?

Supafly46

Postby Supafly46 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Have seen him along the path between beach road and reid through winter, always give him a good morning :)
Thinking the concrete, road etc may hold more warmth than other spots and out of the wind????

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:17 am

This afternoon saw him doing the two bike shuffle southbound on Gribble Rd. First saw the light bike alone wondering where the rider was, then saw him with the heavy bike approaching from further north.
I'm thinking riding the light bike with stabilisers on the heavy bike with a tow rope behind the forks for straight towing would maybe make it a little boring and lazy efficiency.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:01 am

Also spotted yesterday evening near Karrinyup Rd. Lead bike leaning up against the fence, with him pushing his other bike (very largely loaded up), around 20mtrs behind.

With the amount of stuff the guy is carrying on the two bikes, they are no longer rideable, and he really needs to consider a trolley. Of course, it his life style choice, and if he wants to take all day doing the two bike shuffle, he has the time.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:53 pm

I feel a Seinfeld puffy shirt moment coming on, wondering if I can convince him to use a set of training wheels. I'll carry a set in anticipation with spanner at hand to pitch the idea to him, with a length of tow rope to give him. Will post photos if successful... and assault victim photos if I'm not successful =D

_mike_

Postby _mike_ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 am

eldavo wrote:I feel a Seinfeld puffy shirt moment coming on, wondering if I can convince him to use a set of training wheels. I'll carry a set in anticipation with spanner at hand to pitch the idea to him, with a length of tow rope to give him. Will post photos if successful... and assault victim photos if I'm not successful =D
You'd deserve an award of some sort if your successful :) Am watching this thread. The mrs wants to know how you go too because we see him around carine open space

good luck!