Make cycling proficiency part of driving licence

Aushiker

Make cycling proficiency part of driving licence

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:40 pm

For all the positive talk about increasing the bike awareness component of the driving test, there is a limit to how much you can tell someone to be aware of their position on the road, and a limit to the effect that theoretical knowledge can have. So why not make cycle proficiency a mandatory condition for getting a driving licence?

Every driver should have firsthand experience of what it's like to ride a bike in the traffic. Any driver wanting to acquire an HGV licence has to get a normal driving licence first. And people wanting to take a car on the road should have the experience of cycling alongside cars and other vehicles. Drivers need to know how smaller vehicles and their more vulnerable users behave on the road, and the only real way to understand how cyclists act is to have a go at being one. Providing safety training to more cyclists on the streets is obviously desirable, but mandatory cycle training and licensing, often suggested by the more irate and vocal petrolhead crowd, would be a disaster and create a barrier to cycling take-up.

Source: Guardian

Andrew

The 2nd Womble

Re: Make cycling proficiency part of driving licence

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:59 pm

Been saying it for 3 years.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Why the hell not? Teach 'em some empathy if nothing else...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:38 am

Yep... Say 50 hours of riding in the logbook before they get a license.

They would forever have more understanding of what bikes need on the road.

Plus they might even find they like it !

biftek

Postby biftek » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:48 am

they can't even police the 120hrs of driving practice a learner needs, how are they going to make sure a learner rides a bike first

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:01 am

i dont see how you can just renew your licence with no test at all (in NSW anyway). There should be some sort of e-test that you must pass before renewal, including some bike related questions. They have the infrastructure for Learners etc. cant be too hard to make you sit down and do 10 questions before your licence is renewed.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:29 am

biftek wrote:they can't even police the 120hrs of driving practice a learner needs, how are they going to make sure a learner rides a bike first
Rider classes. Compulsory attendance to have log book signed. Learners should be doing the sane thing behind the wheel.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:25 am

Pretty sure I wouldn't support Mandatory Cycling Laws :D

I'd be happy though if there was a "see the cyclist" component to the driving test - you know reverse park here, 3 point turn there, what colour shirt was the cyclist at the last intersection wearing ?

Once pleople know it is in the test, you can bet they would be preparing for the test by spotting every cyclist. Unfortunately it won't do anyhting for the vast majority of drivers who already have a licence, but we have to start somewhere.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:03 pm

find_bruce wrote:I'd be happy though if there was a "see the cyclist" component to the driving test - you know reverse park here, 3 point turn there, what colour shirt was the cyclist at the last intersection wearing ?

Once pleople know it is in the test, you can bet they would be preparing for the test by spotting every cyclist. Unfortunately it won't do anyhting for the vast majority of drivers who already have a licence, but we have to start somewhere.
I like the sound of this and so should the authoritehs. Cost 5/8ths of sodall to implement and is a good way to check observation skills.

A huge +1 to bychosis' idea for at least a simple e-test on renewal. Could be done online before submitting the paperwork.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:08 pm

We used to have this. Now what was it called? Oh yeah....childhood.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Touche... :lol:
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 pm

hear hear.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:47 pm

And how about pedestrian proficiency before bikes?

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:40 am

Thats called MUM

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:33 pm

citywomble wrote:
Thats called MUM
Wut? Yer mean I got it wrong when I tought the ruggies to stop, look, listen and smell? :(
London Boy 29/12/2011

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:53 pm

We just asked if the QPS if they can let this idiot's lawyer know we'll buy him a pushie if he becomes an SCA Ambassador:

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2012/08 ... roo-point/

For those who don't know the old girl, here she is (may as well have been doing that along Queens Street Mall:

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:05 pm

I would be agitating for some funded awareness program long before I'd be expecting people who are not interested or have never even learned to ride to do some time in traffic on a bike. And if I was someone in the general public being imposed on to do so, then I would also be asking angrily why I am so obliged when so many cyclists themselves do not ride in a manner to enhance their chances of surviving. Mr General Public could even become converted to the cause of all the cycle-hating crazies out there.

And I certainly do not see much evidence of empathy among cyclists for others with special difficulties. Who here willing to do training and then experience driving a bus through peak hour for a week, driving a prime mover through traffic, using a wheel chair for a month in the city, being led across intersections and roads by a blind-dog, driving a taxi at knock-off time...

I'd be happy to know that the licensing tests incorporate a reasonable exposure to cycling issues in the interactive test bit that they have to do in WA. After that though it still all gets down to the drivers and you can lead a horse to water but...

When you think about it, when was the last time that we saw a DOT or Government or ANY sort of bike awareness campaign? Get that up first.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:38 am

Colin is right you know. Actually, how dare we all demand that young drivers suffer the indignity of having L and P restrictions and periods imposed on them at all?! After all, theres a plethora of educational material available at your drivers licence POS to help them on their way!

That was sarcasm.

And so was that.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:54 am

There goes the excuse that one State can't introduce a new rule without the support of and (similar) implimentation by the others.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:00 am

When I was a kid we all rode cycles to and from school. Now it seems none of my grandkids are doing this. SO in a way I agree it is probably a good idea to do something.

However I must admit to wondering what this would be based on. The other day on leach highway I found myself driving toward a chap on a road bike causing a great deal of traffic havoc. Now I am not anti bike, far from it, however there is a bike path regularly used by cyclists including riding groups adjacent to this highway. If he really thought he was too fast for the bike path, which having observed I sincerely doubt, then there are a lot of side streets that will follow along Leach highway with a few additional turns and provide less traffic disruption and more safety for the cyclist.

I think before any of us can comment on whether cycling proficiency should be part of the DL, we should consider starting a thread were we can share ideas, perhaps establish a guideline set for use of bicycles in traffic situations. Simple things like not pulling into the drivers field of vision when pulling in to the curb beside a car. Or sitting in the centre at the rear of a car at a traffic light. etc

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 am

Yep, we definitely need more rules. Erm, guidelines. Then we can publish them and hey presto the world will be a better place. :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 am

I can vaguely recall going to a driver training place when i was in primary school (maybe grade 3?) and riding bikes around an area they set up with 'streets' and stop/give way signs etc. That was sometime around the mid 90s i think.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia