Kona Dew Plus

Brett_Windsor

Kona Dew Plus

Postby Brett_Windsor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:35 pm

I am looking for a bike around the $600 mark. I have narrowed it down to a flat handled road bike or sports hybrid. I am leaning towards the former. I am doing the Great Victorian Bike Ride and will use the bike to keep fit and to ride with my wife (she has a Jamis Coda). I am keen on the Kona Dew Plus but have also looked at Giant Cross City 3, Trek 7.3, avanti blade 3 and Giant Roam 2. The Kona is my first preference at this stage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mitzikatzi

Re: Kona Dew Plus

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:34 pm

All great bikes. I like flat bars others don't.

Did you read this?
Buying a bike: Some general advice for new riders

Find a shop you like. Buy from them.

Brett_Windsor

Postby Brett_Windsor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for that. I guess I will need to sit on some and get a feel.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:50 pm

I'd be passing on the Roam just because of the suspension fork, not needed for road riding.

+1 for test rides, tho' I don't blame you for thinking of the Dew, great commuter bikes.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pixies2005

Postby Pixies2005 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. The Kona Dew Plus is a great choice and I almost bought one myself but I got a great deal on a Kona Dr.Dew that I couldn't refuse. The bike is just a bit lighter than the Plus but I'd have been happy with either. I love riding the Kona, the geometry is very comfortable. One thing I found was that on the Kona frames I found the size up from the 'recommended' one was more comfortable ie. 56" instead of 53"

In general terms I agree that you should give the Roam a miss. For commuting purposes you want to get as light a bike as you can, while still having a decent enough frame to carry loads. Suspension forks or saddles just add weight and require extra, wasted effort. A simple frame means that all the power you put on the pedals is converted into forward motion, not bunny hopping :-)

Brett_Windsor

Postby Brett_Windsor » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for your help guys. Ended up buying a Giant Seek 2 for 700. Pick it up in a couple of weeks. Very happy with my choice. Rides well and has the flexibility I'm looking for.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:46 pm

I got a Kona Dew Plus and that is a very comfortable bike to ride. Good gearing with triple cranks, and Deore/Altus groupset. Great for hills. Definitely recommend for long, slow rides. Saddle is quite comfortable. Hydraulic Disc brakes are handy in the wet and work well. Not overly heavy either.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD