Somewhere to leave my car in Alice Springs

Meditator

Somewhere to leave my car in Alice Springs

Postby Meditator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm heading over to Alice Springs in the beginning of September. I want to leave my car somewhere safe while i go touring about for a 4-5 weeks. Does anyone have any ideas of where would be a good place to leave it safely.
Thanks.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Somewhere to leave my car in Alice Springs

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:16 am

Ring the mob at Lone Dingo, the outdoor activity shoppe in the Todd Mall...they'll be able to suss you out on the local knowledge. Might even be able to help you out...

http://www.lonedingo.com.au/
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for the tip.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:15 pm

Fascinating coincidence there. I'm flying to Alice Springs on Sept 1st, to meet a mate and spend 5 weeks cycling around the centre :shock:

Map of our planned expedition is here. We'll be travelling anti-clockwise around the centre.

For a place to leave your car - maybe at the YHA if you choose to stay there. We'll be there on the nights of Sept 1 & 2.

[edit] On checking Google Maps, maybe not. they don't seem to have much parking space apart from street parking.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Paddy, i wouldn't like to say for sure that i would be in Alice Springs at that time. I was generally planning to leave home right at the beginning of sept but could leave a day or two early or a day or two later. Depends on circumstances of readiness i think. I'm sure to bump into you one day somewhere. I thought i'd head to uluru first and do the mcdonnal ranges loop after that. Of course nothing is set in stone. I'll probably spend a few days in alice before leaving too.

Actually it just occurs to me if i stay in a caravan park in alice, they might let me leave my car there too.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:19 am

What do you think the water situation is going to be like out there? Do you know where to fill up and how much one should carry? Or are you expecting to find out when you get there?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:46 am

Looking forward to photos from both of you when you return. Sounds great :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Meditator wrote:Actually it just occurs to me if i stay in a caravan park in alice, they might let me leave my car there too.
Very likely that they would. When we went to Kangaroo Island we left our cars at a caravan park at Cape Jervois that we had not even stayed at. We gave them about $20 each when we returned, for their courteous service

Re. water. We are riding west through the Western MacDonnells and should be OK for water at camping grounds through there. After Ormiston Gorge and Mt Sonder there will not be much water until Kings Canyon - about 3 days ride. We will have two 10L water bags each plus 3L in frame bottles. Prior experience has shown we can get by with this water (as long as we skip on the washing needs :wink: ) for two nights/three days.

Water should be obtainable at Kings Canyon, Uluru, Curtin Springs and Mt Ebenezer roadhouse, as well as Erldunda, Kulgera and Finke. There are also some artesian bores at some intermediate locations. We will be looking for more info about water and any supplies at Old Andado Station - apparently Molly Clarke is now living in a home in Alice so not sure whether the station is staffed. Our route along the Old Andado Track will have another period where we will need to fill the water bags, but there is at least one artesian bore we will look out for, for cooking water only.

We hope not to have to rely on passing 4WDs for water. In some places there really may not be too many.
Mandatory helmet law?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:29 pm

carrying three days of water seems like a pretty tough ask. I'd better find another water carrier thingo as well.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:01 pm

We are planning to ride the Mereenie Loop Rd, between Ormiston Gorge and Kings Canyon, a pretty remote bit of road. There may be a chance of water at the Mereenie mine site, but we will not rely on it.

You're probably going along the main roads to Uluru, where there will be more readily available water and some supplies at roadhouses. What do you mean by the MacDonnells loop you said you'll take?
Mandatory helmet law?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:38 pm

Probably the same route as you mention. Its been a while since i looked at a map. I think there's only one road around the region. I"m definitely planning to go to Kings Canyon.

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:17 am

il padrone wrote:After Ormiston Gorge and Mt Sonder there will not be much water until Kings Canyon - about 3 days ride.

Water should be obtainable at Kings Canyon, Uluru, Curtin Springs and Mt Ebenezer roadhouse, as well as Erldunda, Kulgera and Finke.
All correct.

The water at Redbank Gorge is actually down the hill from the Ridgetop campground next to the creek. There's a tank for the Larapinta walkers.

Can't recommend the walk up Mt Sonder enough, it isn't anywhere near the 6 or 8 hours they say on the signboards at the bottom for you average well thighed bike tourer. Kids made it up in 90 minutes although I was a little more sedate around 2 hours. 1.5 on the way down.

There is no other water supply on the Mereenie Loop, or the Outback Way as it is now known, that's 210 km of cobblestones until you get to Kings Canyon. This ain't a fast travelling road for some reason and even with big days it will probably take two nights out. Plenty of 4WDs though who would laugh at the opportunity to save a desparate bike rider from dehydration.