C Grades for blokes like me who should be in B
17%
D Grades where they fight like hell not to go to C
28%
E Grades where you'll be till you get promoted to D
22%
No way Jose, crazy Road Racers!!
6%
Maybe, if I can put down the Easter Eggs and get off the couch.
6%

Total votes: 18
hanzao

Re: Road Racing 2012 - Peel Districts Cycling Club

Postby hanzao » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:59 pm

thanks nickobec for the info.. i am seriously thinking about doing some atta and these types of rides in a next few months.

Since i have insurance on my bike now :)
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:58 pm

PDCC is not the TdF, crashes are rare.

Other than the crash yesterday, the only other crash in eight weeks of road racing was in rain at Wandi, when one or more young invincible A graders took the worse corner on the course too fast and crashed, taking down a coupe of other riders.

I am a realist, I know I can crash and destroy my bike and it is not insured. But then again it is only a Fuji SL comp not a Cervelo R5 VWD. While I will not be able to replace it like for like, I would be up and racing next week, my injuries permitting. More likely in a crash is I break a collarbone (done both in separate stupid MTB accidents) and be off cycling and most physical activities for a couple of months.

Highly recommend getting a 3 event licence and give road racing ago. From what I have heard the two clubs with races most weekends are the West Coast Masters, if you are over 35 or Peel Districts. Unfortunately these two clubs are under different umbrella organisations so you need different licences. But do your research, all clubs have websites with information about events and licence requirements.

Once piece of advice, if your are going to race with PDCC, get your licence and go racing at DogHill on 21st July. Wandi the week after is not a forgiving course (5 short sharp climbs in quick succession per lap) and not one I would recommend riding your first race on.

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:01 am

i have a silver cycling WA membership.

http://www.wa.cycling.org.au/default.as ... 0210/19974

and a member of Northern Beaches Cycling Club

Thanks for the info, i will look at the calender. Im 32 so just shy of masters and live near joondalup. Done alot of cyclosportifs but just want to see what it feels like racing.

Guess i have to upgrade to gold..
TimeTrials Felt B12

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:07 am

Been saving my pennies and so hopefully I will have enough to get a racing lisense in the next few weeks :D Just a bit of persuading to do to get my parents to drive me down to peel for the races ;) When are the next races ??
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 am

Since we're half way through the year, you can get a 6 month license that will last until the end of the year, so not as pricey as the full year. And all the events are on the racing calendar on http://pdcc.asn.au.

The club is hosting a Cyclo-Sportif event for BWA today, but there's lots of regular club races after that. The Pinjarra Classic (registrations open!) is something for more of the serious racer, even I will leave the bike at home and volunteer to stand on a corner or something.

We also have a growing Juniors population (as it sounds like you are a young-un), so there should be no issues in finding others with the same strength and skill level.

ChainBreak

Postby ChainBreak » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Great thanks, I am a young-en ( ;) ) and the fact that there is a growing junior population sounds great! I'll have a look at the calendar now :D Thanks for your help :)
Take a man fishing and feed him for a day, teach man to fish and feed him for a lifetime , teach a man to cycle and he'll realize that fishing is stupid and boring :P

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 pm

No rain forecasted for tomorrow for a return to Dog Hill Rd in Baldivas. EDIT: just realised this is the last time we do this course this season.

10.7km lap
A = 7 laps = 74.9km
B = 6 laps = 64.2km
C = 5 laps = 53.5km
D = 4 laps = 42.8km
E = 3 laps = 32.1km
Juniors (U13s) usually do 1 lap neutralized with a sprint finish.
Signups from 1pm, racing from 2pm.

Like usual I'm just out for a bit of fun this week. I was asked the last race why I bother making attempts at a breakaway, only to tire myself out and lose out in the final sprint. My answer to that was if you and me wanted an easy ride we would be doing laps around the foreshore :) I can't let the strong sprinters have it too easy... Plus I'm there for fun, winning is nice but I like having a chat too.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Recovering from nasty cold, so will not be racing this week.

Shame I have enjoyed racing at Doghill, even had some success (1st & 2nd).

Still will ride down to watch (1st decent ride in over a week) and might even ride with the juniors, unless we are short a marshal.

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:48 pm

nickobec wrote:Recovering from nasty cold, so will not be racing this week.

Shame I have enjoyed racing at Doghill, even had some success (1st & 2nd).

Still will ride down to watch (1st decent ride in over a week) and might even ride with the juniors, unless we are short a marshal.
dam the COLD!! this Saturday will be my first Race, i have upgraded my CA membership and will hand in the PDCC membership form on the day. Was hoping to ride with you this Saturday. Also i recenly found out Martin.W races (AT) PDCC would be awesome to move up to his grade!!
TimeTrials Felt B12

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Marty's running tomorrow (complete with cold) in D grade - if he hasn't been bumped up.

I'll be back (complete with cold) and think it will be a good training run :D

Nick, Mark (Wizzfizz), Marty and Me all race in D grade (unless you blokes got lifted in the last race)
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 pm

RedBull is trying to shame me into racing with a cold, well it might work I will ride down on my race bike and see how I feel. I have already offered my services as a marshall if we are short. So maybe.

Hanzao in E grade you will find cant_stop aka Matt and a bunch of friendly people, who don't spend the whole racing attacking unlike wizzfizz and redbull. Though you need to keep an eye on Lara who rides a Giant and has 2 wins from 2 starts and is my pick as most likely to attack. Her sister is also rumoured to be racing, which may make things interesting. In the sprint keep an on Scott on the Scott, he is getting better every race.

If you are confident and can ride for more than an hour in a group at 35kmh, you can and probably should ask to be in D grade. If it is 38kmh and 2 hours it is C grade. E grade is a good place to start and learn the ropes, how long you stay there is up to you

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:46 pm

it was nice meeting cant_stop (matt) and Wizzfizz (mark).. i think i will be moved to D or C next week if i sign up. Very good organisation and very happy with the race but felt bad being in the wrong grade.
Hopefully see you guys next Saturday!!
TimeTrials Felt B12

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi guys

Just looking at the Wandi Road Course and there is no elevations or anything so just enquiring if it is flat or got hills? or just up and down

http://pdcc.asn.au/locations/wandi-road-course/
TimeTrials Felt B12

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:09 pm

hanzao wrote:Hi guys

Just looking at the Wandi Road Course and there is no elevations or anything so just enquiring if it is flat or got hills? or just up and down

http://pdcc.asn.au/locations/wandi-road-course/
Lots of ups and downs, worst is 400m (AT) max 6% I believe

it goes from start, flat turn left, climb up Wandi Road, turn left in Bodeman Road, descend until corner, climb 400m (AT) max 6%, false flat + little kicker, down at 8% for couple of hundred metres, climb up to the intersection with Lyon Road, turn onto a flat section for maybe 500m, then gentle 500m climb, gentle 500m or so descent, turn into De Haar Road, another 500m climb, then 4km or so slight downhill to finish.

If you grab the KML file from the course map link and load it into Google earth you can get a little more elevation profile info or use street view.

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:48 pm

thanks nic, speed bumps course i guess.
TimeTrials Felt B12

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:08 pm

hanzao wrote:thanks nic, speed bumps course i guess.
They are except the 4th or 5th time you hit Bodeman road flat out, you legs will feel it and there is likely to be a selection.

Mind you last time (and my only time ) we raced at Wandi, it was wet and shorten by a lap, D grade did finish as a big group. Unlike E grade with riders everywhere or A grade which was decimated by a crash and punctures.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:28 am

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:49 pm

hey Nic keep up the race reports, i eagerly wait to read your reports now days :) See you Saturday!!
TimeTrials Felt B12

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:00 am

PDCC D grade Wandi 28 July 2012 Race report on my blog or in BNA race report thread
no idea where I finished, if I beat Hanzao, I know I finished behind WizzFizz, I think, the last 1200m are a bit of a blur

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 pm

A tough race today, have no idea where I finished but was quickly dropped by the other E grade guys. Definitely need to work on my fitness.

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Was the finish on Karnup Road? RoFlMaTiC and I came back that way from Kingsbury Drive / Serpentine Dam and saw a couple of packs steaming towards the equestrian centre.

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Yeah start/finish was on karnup road right outside the horse and pony club.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 am

Matt you beat me I DNFed
Race report on my blog or race report thread

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:54 am

And I got last :P so you beat me too. Handicaps are not the easiest race, as you are possibly contending with riders much stronger than yourself, but the points are worth it if you can pull it off. A new rider, Ben, was there for his first race. And since I was taking it easy in prep for another race the next day, I conspired to start in the same slower group and look out for him.

Next week, Sat 18th, is a Graded Points Score at Wandi. This race is similar to the points racing on the track, in that there is a sprint for points on every lap, and who has the most points: wins. Should be interesting as I haven't done one before!

Registrations from 1pm, Racing from 2pm - see you there!

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 am

The points race next week should be interesting - I can foresee a lot of breakaways and attacks so it will most probably be a tough race :D .