How hard is Kinglake?

rogerwilco

How hard is Kinglake?

Postby rogerwilco » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Hey folks,

Been a while since I've been on the bike for any kind of regular riding or commuting.
Considering doing the Kinglake Genovese 115 this year, just wanna know how tough the climbs really are.

I'm not a climber, and generally avoid hills, but perhaps it's time to face my fears.

Last time I trained for a ride like this was about 6 years ago for around the bay in a day (210km). I finished fine... but it's a fairly flat course (except for Mt Martha, which I remember being a PITA), plus I'd been riding consistently, and on a lighter bike (I now ride a steel frame tourer with triple chainring shimano 105).

I'm not unfit, but not at prime fitness either.
A few months ago, I completed the Geelong half marathon in under two hours, so that's something. But still a bit concerned about Kinglake... I don't like hills. There are hills. I haven't ridden proper for quite a while. I ride a heavy bike.

Whaddaya reckon?
2018 Fairlight Strael Touring Steel. 2014 Brompton M3L.

malocchio

Re: How hard is Kinglake?

Postby malocchio » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:36 am

Hi rogerwilco, from what you've written I think you'll easily be physically capable of tackling Kinglake - the climb should take a bit over half an hour to complete and with your cardio/half marathon stamina it shouldn't present too much of a problem for you!

Regarding the Kinglake ride, the climb to Kinglake isn't the only pinch, there's one towards the end out to Flowerdale which I find more difficult as you've got more km's in your legs, and it seems to go on for longer. I've written a report on my ride experience from last year here: http://laidcycling.blogspot.com.au/2011 ... n-sky.html

Also there's a fantastic write-up on the kinglake climb by the climbing cyclist: http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/kinglake/kinglake/

I say give it a crack! If you're feeling taxed at the top of Kinglake, you've always got the option of taking the 70km shortcut at that point, negating the Flowerdale climb (although you will miss out on same beautiful roads and scenery :-P )

Good luck and let us know how you go!

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:47 am

Rogerwilco, Mt Martha was roughly a 100m climb over about 2.4km.

The Genovese longer event will have the 450m climb to Kinglake and then another 250m or so returning from Flowerdale through Kinglake West ...

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:22 pm

rogerwilco wrote: Been a while since I've been on the bike for any kind of regular riding or commuting.
Considering doing the Kinglake Genovese 115 this year, just wanna know how tough the climbs really are.
Hey rogerwilco, like yourself I will be doing the kinglake 115km distance as well. To get a feel for what the climbs will be like you should hit the 1in20. Im just waiting for a weekend with reasonable weather to start training on there again. With your level of fitness you should be able to complete the ride. I just hope the weather for this years event is far warmer than last (rain, hail, high wind, and very cold).
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:48 pm

You are riding a triple-chainset touring bike, unloaded. It's probably capable of climbing walls. What's to worry about? :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:52 pm

...triple chainring 105 - what's the problem?

Just stick it in low gear and pedal away. It may take you a while but you'll get there. It's not a race.... :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

rogerwilco

Postby rogerwilco » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Very helpful.
I'm in! Have just signed up and will definitely hit a few climbs before hand. Thanks for the 1 in 20 link.

Fair point about the triple chainring.
I didn't have that originally, but the touring tyres were killing me!
Since I got slicks for the indoor trainer it's a totally different bike. Probably could climb up anything!
2018 Fairlight Strael Touring Steel. 2014 Brompton M3L.

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:52 pm

Just got the jersey/glasses/ID stuff in the mail yesterday ...