4000km bike ride to help Lifeline

Aushiker

4000km bike ride to help Lifeline

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:24 am

A certain forum member has made the Western Australian :)

It is an epic journey cycling from Darwin to Perth but James Quinton knows when he sets off this month that every kilometre will count.

Mr Quinton, a researcher at the University of WA, is tackling the 4000km-plus ride to raise money for Lifeline's suicide prevention services and awareness about depression, mental health and wellbeing.

It is a subject, tragically, he knows a lot about - Mr Quinton lost his brother Justin to suicide in 2007 and a number of friends who took their own lives.

"There are people out there who find it very difficult to even get out of bed and suicide is the leading cause of death of people my age in Australia," the 30-year-old said.

"This ride is for them." An experienced cyclist who has done long treks before, the West Perth resident has been riding 50km a day for six months to prepare for the seven-week trip, which he will do unsupported with little baggage apart from provisions and a tent.

"I'm a little bit nervous," he said.

"And staying motivated will be a challenge. I'm attempting to cycle six to eight hours a day for seven weeks straight with a couple of rest days chucked in."

Mr Quinton, who hopes to raise $50,000 for Lifeline, praised the organisation for the help and support it offers people experiencing mental health issues or who are at risk of suicide.

To donate, visit [url=http://www.everyday%20hero.com.au/james_quinton]http://www.everyday hero.com.au/james_quinton[/url].

All the best James. You will always be ahead of me :)

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Quinton

Re: 4000km bike ride to help Lifeline

Postby J Quinton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00 am

Thank you very much Andrew.

Appreciate all the helpful comments and hints here.

This place is very valuable.

Max

Postby Max » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:48 pm

One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:35 pm

Aushiker - you have a riding buddy now! :mrgreen:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks Max. Fixed.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 pm

polishbiker wrote:Aushiker - you have a riding buddy now! :mrgreen:
James is going the wrong way .. too much bitumen for me :)

Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:
polishbiker wrote:Aushiker - you have a riding buddy now! :mrgreen:
James is going the wrong way .. too much bitumen for me :)

Andrew

HaHa

Had to change route to go to more towns in an attempt to raise more money for Lifeline.

Karajini and Mt Augustus will have to wait. Karratha, Carnarvon and Kalbarri instead. Still good though I think. May be Exmouth or Onslow if time.

I'm aware this is not a major effort for most people here, but I appreciate the support nonetheless.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:56 am

For those interested James left Pine Creek this morning and hoped to tick off 150 km today. You can follow his progress at https://www.facebook.com/groups/235619126553736/

Andrew

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:17 pm

LIfe line is a worthy cause. And i'm sorry you lost your brother. However, these sorts of solo fund raising projects don't usually raise much money and you will have work your butt off. Start in Perth cause that's where you will probably raise most money. Although you'd think the mining towns should have a few spare bob.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:50 pm

James has passed through Katherine ... that has taken four days. Moving along nicely.

Andrew

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh i didn't know who james was. I guess i wasn't reading very closely.

He did well to get that tip to take the back road via the falls. But it sounds like he's elected not to go to Edith Falls which is a shame, or litchfield National Park which is an even greater shame. maybe he went there by car. Tell him to slow down there's not much to see in WA on the highway. At least that's as i understand it. So he might as well enjoy the sights along the way.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:48 am

James hits the Gibb River Road today ... flying along. Latest update at https://www.facebook.com/groups/2356191 ... 858156596/
Day 4: 130km Pine Creek to 40km west of Katherine. If anyone followed my adventure around the UK last year you might know that I attempted to spend a night in a public ablution block. 'Why the F would you do that?' I hear you ask. Well. That night was a rather miserable night at Lochranza and I thought I might be able to avoid the wind and rain by getting a few hours sleep in a toilet block. I set up around 11:30pm (the sun doesnt go down at all really up there in summer). All was well except for the automatic flushing device a public servant genius set up. So I'm lying there and every 15 mins the trough would flush spraying everywhere. I ended up setting my tent up in the rain and wind at 2am. Got up at 5 to be eaten by midgies for two hours before taking the ferry to Skye and pedalling on.

At Pine creek turf club I would right the wrongs of all toilet block sleeping negative associations my subconscious may be harbouring and attempt once more to sleep like a baby on morphine next to a trough. This time would be clearly different though. The toilet block was only half built, no one had ever used it before and no enthusiastic plumber had set up a automatic flusher.

One things needs to be cleared up. Sometimes I just can not be bothered setting my tent up. There is a couple of reasons for this; you need to find a good spot. You need to set it up and organise everything accordingly. You need to pack it up, which takes an extra 15 mins, more if it is wet. You dont get to sleep under the stars.

As the previous photos will show, I left Pine creek turf club at 7:15 am. Unlike the previous days wind which was like a mean uncle holding you at arms length, todays wind was like that plus ten massive industrial fans like the ones found at kylie monongue concerts. [her name not coming up as a link in my post] The going was tough but I knew that in 90km I would be heading west and then the wind would be a cross wind and as I headed further west the wind would graduate in to bone fide tail wind. So I ploughed on and one. The Stuart Hwy is much better than Great Eastern Hwy, so there is nothing to worry about there. Except for road side fires and large trees falling over as you cycle by. There was a fire at Katherine uni and it looked like the place was being evacuated. Disgruntled kites circled the air attempting to land but finding it too hot hot then finding no air to breathe up top. Mainly undergrowth fire but enough to give everyone the woops.

Got a few supplies in Katherine and finally headed west, which, in some ways felt like the real beginning of the trip as the going would be a lot easier, the hwy quieter and other intuitions that elude me currently.

Shared a road side camp spot with a couple from Bunbury (dude with a guitar) and a bird from Germany (really good artist).

Day 5: 130km camp to Sullivans Campground.

Left the camp at about 8:30-9am after fn around for a bit. Again, slept on the table and not in the tent. About 30km up the road was another overnight camping spot where I ran around asking people to donate. On the side of the road was a bunch of aboriginal folk who had set up a impromptu camp spot with fire. They warned me to look out for roos.

At the Mathison rest area I stopped for a break/lunch. Due to my ignorance I was surprised to hear the next rest area/camp ground was Sullivans campground about 75km away; 3-4 hours riding, not including breaks. It was already 3pm. But I felt I hadnt come far enough. Leaving would mean the last hour would be in darkness. Oh well. Off I went. What a extraordinary afternoon's riding I would enjoy. Sometimes you'e having an experience, and you know at the time you will never forget it. Once you enter the Victoria River area if you're heading west you begin a slow descent in to a series of valleys. By this time the sun was setting behind the hills and the sky was lit up like a drag queens eye lashes. Out came the stars to complete the scene and I didnt take any photos or anything because that's one I'm keeping.

At camp I did a quick run around for donations before everyone went to bed and Bev and Garry invited me to dinner; lamp chops and veges. Delicious. Everyone in cars are eating everything up before they cross the border. Slept on the table again under the stars. Fell asleep looking at the campfire lit up faces of another group 20 metres away.

Day 6: 108km Sullivans to Timber Creek. Cruised down to Victoria River Roadhouse and took a video of the river. Crappy name if you ask me. Beautiful river however.

Damm it. Just went to copy and deleted what had taken 30 mins to write the last three days. May be Ill get the impetus to finish it later. Please let me know if you what to hear more.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:59 pm

James has crossed the "dreaded" well to me anyway :) Pentecost River. Looks like he walked it okay.

Also it seems that James got mobile range at or west of Hope Valley which is also handy to know.

Andrew

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Do you mean Home Valley? I don't know where Hope Valley is.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm

James has arrived in Broome. Updates can be found on Facebook. He survived the Gibb River Road which he calls the "Hell of the South" on his carbon fibre road bike pulling an Extrawheel Voyager. Pretty impressive riding in my view.

He is now aiming to back in Perth in mid-August.

Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi

Thank you Andrew for the updates.

Yes there is wifi at Hope (sic) Valley but it's 5 for 15mins....I typed stuff up beforehand and pasted when online.

The Pentecost is fine. The Durack was slightly trickier to croc, I mean cross, but still fine.

Almost $10,000 for Lifeline.

Now it's time for desert riding.

Join "https://www.facebook.com/groups/2356191 ... 884121560/" for regular updates.

Cheers

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:40 am

By the way, everyone is invited to join me if they have time. These are the dates:

26th July: South Hedland/Port Hedland (Rest Day)

29th July: Karratha (rest Day)

August:

6th Carnarvon: (Rest Day)

11th: Kalbarri
12th: Geraldton (three rest days)

16th: Dongara
17th: Jurien
18th: Moore River
19th: Perth

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:23 am

$10000 is a very good effort and i must say i'm very surprised. You must have the gift of the gab or something.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Meditator wrote:$10000 is a very good effort and i must say i'm very surprised. You must have the gift of the gab or something.

There's no magic trick. Say yes before no and read and listen carefully.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 pm

Im in a warm bed in Gero. Had excellent conditions. Raised over 10,000 and having fun. What a country.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm

J Quinton wrote:Had to change route to go to more towns in an attempt to raise more money for Lifeline.
Great cause James - thank you, good on ya :!:
J Quinton wrote:I'm aware this is not a major effort for most people here, but I appreciate the support nonetheless.
Theres plenty of us here I'm sure to whom its a great effort.
Dont sell yourself short.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:31 pm

rifraf wrote:Theres plenty of us here I'm sure to whom its a great effort.
Dont sell yourself short.
Agree 100%. Fantastic effort on all counts.

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 am

J Quinton wrote:Im in a warm bed in Gero. Had excellent conditions. Raised over 10,000 and having fun. What a country.
A gentlemans not supposed to tell..... :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:17 am

J Quinton wrote:By the way, everyone is invited to join me if they have time. These are the dates:
Damn it, I wish I'd been following the threads closer.

A flit up to Geraldton would have done me wonders.
Settling down after a NSW to WA cycle is doing my head in.
Cant be helped though.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Everyone...

If you press on the facebook link above there is more info, but...

Here are the details if anyone is interested.

I leave Geraldton tomorrow 16/08 and will camp at Cliff Head rest area that night.
The following night Ill be in Jurien.
Sat night Ill be in Moore River/Sovereign Hill.
Then Sunday is the fundraiser in Northbridge.

People are invited to join me at Hillerys at 12pm to ride into Northbridge.

If you would like to ride with me please pm your number to me and Ill ring you. Please include where you would like to ride.

Cheers