Budget Concious Carbon Wheelsets?

adrian_d

Budget Concious Carbon Wheelsets?

Postby adrian_d » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:42 pm

Hey all,
I'm sure a few are already thinking i'm off to a bad start by combining budget with carbon in the same sentence haha.

I take great pride in my bike and wanted to grab a set of Clincher/Carbon wheels to finish off the look but I was struggling to find the 1k plus where most of the decent ones start.

Are there some particular brands that offer good value for money?

I've seen a vast variety of brands on ebay which are around the $600 or so mark. One of which was "Shock", the other was by "Star Cycles".
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

TimW

Re: Budget Concious Carbon Wheelsets?

Postby TimW » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:51 pm

Adrian, I picked up a set of shimano rs80 c50 wheels from cycling express for $780.00 recently. They are 899 ish now, i had a discount coupon. I am very happy with them and they roll really well. I actually got them cheaper than o/s, anyhow here is a link for you to look at.Tim
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/shi ... elset.aspx

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:15 pm

If you want a deep profile then the RS80 C50 above would be the ones I'd look at. Consider Ribble cycles' price if you want to take the overseas risk with wheels.

I would also consider some of the local products, TWE in sydney might be able to put something together for you. Maybe Schnell wheels as well.

If you are happy with Carbon laminate then the RS80 c24's might be o.k. I have a set and think they are great. They are very cheap in comparison and great valve imo. Second hand might be an option as well. I've bought a couple of sets of zipps on ebay with good results. (i'm even thinking of selling the older set, but they are tubulars). Mavic Cosmic Carbones SL are available for a little over $1k now. I test rode them and thought they were o.k.

There are always the chinese option. I've had a crack at that, but wouldn't do it again.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:20 pm

I went down the Chinese Carbon path, and just gone down it a 2nd time (1st time pair of 38mm which I love, this time 50mm rim to pair with new powertap hub for rear + 60mm for front). The details can be found in the Chinese Carbon Frame & Wheel thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51377 (like the cost of $600 a set, delivered)

Road Bike Review has some very detail threads on the topic.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks heaps for the information. I have more content to read tomorrow during work lol

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:18 pm

LOTS of information in this thread!

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:03 pm

If you aren't in a hurry to buy then just keep checking eBay/forums/classifieds for good second hand sets. I picked up a set of Zipp 404s (tubulars) for $550 a while back.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Here you go Rs80 C50 wheelsets are on sale again at cycling express.Tim

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:22 pm

TimW wrote:Here you go Rs80 C50 wheelsets are on sale again at cycling express.Tim

Wow thats a decent deal. I've bought from cyclingexpress just the other day and I think the service is great from there. Now to save up haha. The new build should be done in about 1 month all ready for the bupa around the bay event.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:18 pm

i think this deal ends around the 27th of this month mate. You won't get a better price anywhere than this.If anyone can find a better price post it up, as i did a fair bit of research when i sourced mine.Tim

edit free postage as well :shock: :wink:

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:23 pm

nickobec wrote:I went down the Chinese Carbon path, and just gone down it a 2nd time (1st time pair of 38mm which I love, this time 50mm rim to pair with new powertap hub for rear + 60mm for front). The details can be found in the Chinese Carbon Frame & Wheel thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51377 (like the cost of $600 a set, delivered)

I would agree with this,
to keep in the low budget, this sounds like a good try.

I can add this, don't go for Pro-Lites - which are seemingly cheap,
but not reliable, you seem to have a "brand name" not not really, 3 spokes and rear hub broken....

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:15 am

qeaou wrote:
nickobec wrote:I went down the Chinese Carbon path, and just gone down it a 2nd time (1st time pair of 38mm which I love, this time 50mm rim to pair with new powertap hub for rear + 60mm for front). The details can be found in the Chinese Carbon Frame & Wheel thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51377 (like the cost of $600 a set, delivered)

I would agree with this,

but not reliable, you seem to have a "brand name" not not really, 3 spokes and rear hub broken....
Sorry to hear you've had a problem with a Pro-Lite wheel. I can assure you, despite your problem that they are a quality product.

I'd be happy to look into your problem, might even be able to help you out with a hub. I'd need to know the answers to the following questions.

Please tell me:

1. Where did you buy your wheels?
2. When did you buy them?
3. Which model exactly and what depth rim?
4. What do you weigh?
5. Who replaced your 3x broken spokes?
6. Which wheel had broken spokes (front or rear?)
7. How is the problem wheel laced ie. 2x, 3x or radial?
8. Estimated kms before the hub failure?
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 pm

I'd try and get some with a "not falling off" feature.
You have officially become your parents.

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
qeaou wrote:

I would agree with this,

Sorry to hear you've had a problem with a Pro-Lite wheel. I can assure you, despite your problem that they are a quality product.

I'd be happy to look into your problem, might even be able to help you out with a hub. I'd need to know the answers to the following questions.

Please tell me:

1. Where did you buy your wheels?
2. When did you buy them?
3. Which model exactly and what depth rim?
4. What do you weigh?
5. Who replaced your 3x broken spokes?
6. Which wheel had broken spokes (front or rear?)
7. How is the problem wheel laced ie. 2x, 3x or radial?
8. Estimated kms before the hub failure?
First of all, I must say the response to my comment from Pro-Lite must be appreciated,
this only shows great customer support.

1. Bought in 2011 from a shop as new
3. Gavia 38mm
4. 90kg
5. (I don't want to point, but recommended builder)
6. (1 front, 2 rear)
7. Gavia standard lace
8. roughly 2000km

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:16 pm

adrian_d wrote:I take great pride in my bike and wanted to grab a set of Clincher/Carbon wheels to finish off the look but I was struggling to find the 1k plus where most of the decent ones start.
Adrian, never compromise function for the sake of look. Carbon clinchers are stiffer, period - the ride is a hell of a lot harsher.
Last edited by winstonw on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:29 pm

qeaou wrote:
First of all, I must say the response to my comment from Pro-Lite must be appreciated,
this only shows great customer support.

3. Gavia 38mm
4. 90kg
6. (1 front, 2 rear)
7. Gavia standard lace
8. roughly 2000km

Ok this is making more sense. You've got a very old set of wheels there.

38mm Gavia was discontinued in approx 2006, yours maybe even older than that. I'd need the serial number off each of your wheels to get a build date but if they were new in 2011 they were very, very old stock and well outside of factory warranty. You should have some questions for whoever sold them to you and if you bought them in 2011 then you might still be inside your statutory warranty period - in which case I would demand that the shop refund your money or have them re-built for you. The Pro-Lite factory are unlikely to offer us much assistance as they will deem your wheels as being well past any reasonable warranty period.

The hubs you have will be Gavia V1 - they were updated to V2 version sometime ago. I'm yet to see any failure on the V2 version, I have seen failures on the V1 version mainly from 90kg + riders combined with the old 2x lacing pattern, usually only the rear hub.

3. Gavia 38mm
4. 90kg

The 38mm Gavia was discontinued years before I became the Pro-Lite distributor so I don't have intimate knowledge of this model, from what I understand though at 90kg you would be over-weight for that model.

The mechanic needs a DT Swiss spoke tension gauge to get these back to factory specification when replacing spokes. The spoke tension is critical on the Gavia models, too much tension and the hubs will crack. Other models of Pro-Lite wheels are easy to work on, the Gavia however requires a skilled technician.

6. (1 front, 2 rear)

If you do decide to replace the hub and re-build the rear needs to be laced 3x - Pro-Lite upgraded to 3x lacing years ago for the rear Gavia hubs and when laced like this and built properly they don't break spokes and the chances of cracking the hub are minimised. They'll hold your weight with the 3x lacing.

7. Gavia standard lace
8. roughly 2000km

With only 2000kms and all those problems, I'm not surprised you are unhappy. I think you should be unhappy with the LBS that sold them to you rather than Pro-Lite. You bought a really OLD set of wheels and due to your weight they were not fit for purpose. Whoever replaced your busted spokes might have over tensioned the wheel resulting in the following spoke failures and the cracked hub although as mentioned earlier that model would have been quite marginal for you at 90kg.

If you want to re-build them, send me your busted hub and I'll see what I can do about getting you a replacement. You'll have to re-build it with round spokes as I know Pro-Lite doesn't have replacements given the age of the model and also they really need to be built using 3x lacing to avoid any future issures. I'll put you in contact with someone who has the right tools to do the job properly.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

scotto

Postby scotto » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Can't argue with that kind of service and answer. Nice work pro-lite !

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:54 pm

If you are willing to go tubular, then have a look at these:

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/VVW ... mano-black

$350 for a 50mm carbon tubular wheelset!! And postage is only $15...

I've used Vuelta aluminium wheelsets before, and they have been bullet-proof with very smoothly rolling hubs (they have been heavy though). These carbon tubbies are sub-1500g, so not heavy (not super-light tho'), and $350 seems a bargain.

I'm actually wondering if its a typo, as they have the carbon-clincher version listed next to it for $1399 - so maybe its supposed to be $1349?? Will find out soon, as I ordered a set for $349... :D

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/shop/bike/wh ... set/vuelta

Will be my first ever set of tubbies, so I'll spam the forum with tubular gluing questions soon... :roll:

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist