Why isn't BNSW doing something about this?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:07 am

jcjordan

Re: Why isn't BNSW doing something about this?

Postby jcjordan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:38 am

Why?

Lets face it what is there good about Sydney. Its dirty arrogant city where you need to earn at least over $1500000 just to survive.

Plus there is almost no where safe to ride.

Ok I accept that I may be a bit bias having never lived in Melbourne (Adelaide and Canberra for the most part) but I have had to travel to Sydney for work quite a bit and I would never take my bike with me.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm

jcjordan wrote:Why?

Lets face it what is there good about Sydney. Its dirty arrogant city where you need to earn at least over $1500000 just to survive.

Plus there is almost no where safe to ride.

Ok I accept that I may be a bit bias having never lived in Melbourne (Adelaide and Canberra for the most part) but I have had to travel to Sydney for work quite a bit and I would never take my bike with me.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

vander

Postby vander » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:24 pm

I agree jcjordan Sydney should not be close to the most liveable. People (generally) are so self centred and done care about how their actions affect others there is no sense of community and helping a mate out. Add in the fact that you often cant walk to the shops or the train station in many parts of Sydney without fearing for your safety especially if you are a woman. From the people I talk to its only the people that grew up here that love it people that have come from out of Sydney to Sydney are not a fan.

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:09 pm

I agree somewhat... I was born in Melbourne, moved to Perth when I was 12, then moved to Sydney about 10 years ago.
I do like the city, not as much as I used to though & if I had the option would most likely go back to Perth or move to Melbourne (for the footy & better bike riding..), I can't due to the fact my 3 year old daughter lives here...
I disagree with the $150k part (I assume you mean $150k & not $1.5mill :shock: ).. I earn less than half $150k & survive quite comfortably.
Also riding can be a little scary, but where in Aus isn't it?? But I have been commuting for about 5 years & no major incidents. Touch wood...

I went back to Perth for Xmas with my daughter & had forgotten how nice & friendly people there are.. Or on the flip side, how rude Sydney people are (generally, certainly not everyone). Most people are too wrapped up in their own importance.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Could this be one of those "industry" awards that companies make up and award themselves just so they've got some crap plaque to hang in reception?

Mmm.. maybe not
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:30 pm

[Edit: Sorry. Didn't realise liking my part of Sydney was being involved in a "... competition".]
Last edited by Nobody on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:31 pm

I love my little patch of Sydney. I genuinely do not think I have lived anywhere with a better lifestyle.

5 min walk to, IMHO, one of the best beaches in the world. Walkable to 3-4-5 other beaches - all with ocean pools of course. Farmers market, supermarket, 2 bakeries, a few cafes, Sardinian (awesome, one of the best restaurants in the country), Thai (good), Indian (very good), Japanese (not bad), 2 Chinese (ok), 2 Pizza (passable, but I am a connoisseur) restaurants and a pub etc all 5 mins walk away. Express bus stop to city right outside. 30 min walk/10 min cycle to Ferry and lots more shops and restaurants. 30 min walk/5 min drive or cycle to local (big) mall. 65 Min ride to work which I can do almost all of on cycle paths and quiet back roads if I want - awesome views on the way too. 6 (or so?) bike shops near by, 1 of which is walkable/pushable with excellent mechanics. BMX track rideable distance (and another - with periodic CX racing too, 15 mins drive 40 mins cycle away) and a skate park walkable for when the nipper is older. Good MTB tracks ridable. Loads of nicely equipped parks (6-7?) within walkable distance which never seem to suffer any vandalism.

What have I missed?

Most of our neighbours seem to have just had kids as well as us, so very neighbourly at the mo.

Now onto the quality of the primary public education nearby...

But then again, it depends entirely what you want in life. For the cost of our two bed unit we could have a McMansion (and far more annoying commutes, maybe) somewhere else.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Simonn I would agree that the northern beaches are the best place to live, if only it wasn't for the smug people who live there :D

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 pm

/unsubscribe latest pi55ing competition

Thanks peoples... have fun...
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Agree re: pi55ing contest, but shouldn't the question be "why isn't BNSW doing anything?" period?
You people will never learn. :?
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:14 am

No city is worth living in. Few advocacy organisations do anything in the eyes of the individual.

End of story.
Last edited by silentbutdeadly on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:17 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:No city is worth living in. Few advocacy organisations doing anything in the eyes of the individual.

End of story.
That's because the only ones you know of are doing nothing.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:... Few advocacy organisations do anything in the eyes of the individual.

End of story.
I suspect you misinterpret me. From the point of view of the individual...few advocacy organisations appear to do anything 'for the individual'. That's definitely not to say that they do nothing - I'm part of a few such organisations at either local, regional and national level...and I know for damn sure they don't do nothing!!!

As individuals, we are inherently selfish though and are typically incapable of seeing a bigger picture than their own little world...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:35 am

I would also disagree with this statement, including your other clarifications.

Pedal Power in the ACT has done alot for me as a individual.
For example there efforts have improved the standard of on road cycle lanes. This has directly effected my ability to ride to work.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:56 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:
silentbutdeadly wrote:... Few advocacy organisations do anything in the eyes of the individual.

End of story.
I suspect you misinterpret me. From the point of view of the individual...few advocacy organisations appear to do anything 'for the individual'. That's definitely not to say that they do nothing - I'm part of a few such organisations at either local, regional and national level...and I know for damn sure they don't do nothing!!!

As individuals, we are inherently selfish though and are typically incapable of seeing a bigger picture than their own little world...
Ahhh, gotcha :) and +1

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:52 pm

Stupid question :roll:

They are still waiting for approval from Mr Gay before commenting :P :P
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:39 pm

JohnJoyner wrote: Also riding can be a little scary, but where in Aus isn't it??
Perths cycle path network is pretty good at keeping us cyclists and motorists separate. Whilst the infrastructure here could always be better, I'm sure it's an example to other states in many ways.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38 am

To all those who complain about living in any Australian city, you haven't seen the world and have been completely spoilt. :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Why isn't BNSW doing something about this?

Stupid question :roll:

They are still waiting for approval from Mr Gay before commenting :P :P
See, they are doing something then! :twisted:

Meanwhile, it's not really that bad in Sydney. Take a look at the website of the well known Kadir van Lohuizen of Noor Images:

http://www.lohuizen.net/

That's an extreme reality check. Some things about Sydney might drive us mad, but there is a hell of a lot to love about this city as well. :)