Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Jarod

Re: Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride

Postby Jarod » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks for the ride this morning RBWR Gents. The weather was brilliant and it was an exceptionally enjoyable ride. :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Another RBWR, another Richmond perfect weather day - another successful onslaught on the Baskerville circuit. :wink:

Eleven riders sped off on the Baskerville circuit with two in the elite bunch making their way to parts unknown. Welcome along to another new rider. We even had a couple of rideres turn up to wave us off! The expected frost covering didn't eventuate and it was a balmy six degrees that saw us with the option of hitting Grass Tree in relative safety - so off we went. No Cyclone Sam this week (on his favourite course :shock:) so the bunch travelled at a sensible pace with the hills coming at regular intervals. There seemed to be very little traffic out there today so that made it all the more enjoyable.

The bunch remained tightly packed, mostly, until the sniff of coffee on the Tea Tree Road saw RodV wind up the pace and a series of riders were shelled out the back. The rear group grew and then reduced as some took short cuts back to the coffee shop. Great ride guys. Maybe intervals on Brinktop next week? :shock: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Captain Strava

Postby Captain Strava » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Apologies for the Absence today BDD

Christian, Myself and the girls did a reccy on the winter challenge course.

I can report we went fast after Christian said he was going to take it easy and the girls weren't that far behind when we went back to get them.

Maximum Strava points for Sam KOM on some hill.

Bummed I missed out on the Richmond hilly course!

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 am

Weather is looking good for tomorrow. Starting temps at around 9 getting warmer with the day. The wind should be out of the north again and reasonably strong. Plenty of options for different routes.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Another Richmond-beautiful day. 17 riders left the car park as usual at 9:00:00.000 and 19 riders returned. The numbers in the fast group as compared to those in the elite looked good for a while - until the course was announced and mass defection occurred. No Cyclone Sam again this week so the course was last week in reverse - over the hills and far away. 12 started in the fast group heading out Colebrook Road up Tea Tree Road and then on to Honeywood, Baskerville, Risdon and back to Richmond conquering a few minor undulations on the way. Well done team.

The elites took the easy route - up Middle Tea Tree, back to Colebrook Road - waving to the rest as they went past - followed by Fingerpost, the highway and the little rise over Brinktop. Seems like they wanted an easier route than the fast group. :roll:

I'll be away for a couple of weeks seeking some warmth in the Townsville area. Enjoy.

Perhaps some flat road courses are in order so everyone is ready for Bust-Me-gall when I get back. :) :D :lol: :oops: :wink:

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:07 pm

I suspect a bicycle will go to Townsville with you BDD..

May I suggest the following cycling courses:-

Hervey Range. Go out along Ross River Road, and onto Hervey Range Rd at The Willows. Proceed to the top of Hervey Range. It is another world up there.

As a pre breakfast sprint, take the short stroll up Castle Hill.

Mt Stuart is not far from town, and the view over the city from the top is fantastic. Tune up the brakes before descending.

Paluma Range, north of Townsville , is a magnificent climb into another climate. You could drive to Rollingstone, on the highway to Ingham, and ride up from there.

Leave leg and arm warmers at home, and take a second bottle. but ey :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:09 am

Just what I need on the RBWR. Should shake up the field :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:59 am

The RBWR happened again yesterday morning, as it does on average about 52 times each year. Nothing like some impressive statistics to impress the Strava devotees. The ride was out to (in fact, just beyond) Colebrook, into a driving headwind as cold as mother in laws breath. I could not see far enough ahead to count riders, however it would clearly have been in excess of 20. Regretably, our friend, sponsor, chief urger, Mr PMM is unable to join us at present , due to injury, and we wish him well and fit again soon. This absence, and resultant lack of urging, was reflected in the very comfortable pace on the outward leg. Some riders reported better than 50 kph average on the homeward leg.
The winner was, who gives a stuff. Who Gives is an ex Lightning Ridge opal miner, and never discloses his other names, of which there are many.
The weather?
We have a thing called a "template" to describe Richmond weather.

"Beautiful". Nothing is worse than overheating.

Coffee was good, discussion mostly lies. Particularly the part about Tony and the flat bar bike. :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Today is Wednesday. We did it again. As it was last week, the wind huffed and puffed from the north, and blew us down the road toward home. I counted 15 of the lycra clad as I rolled in to the car park starting house, and I suspect half a dozen others were out of sight attending to matters nervous and the like. Pity the man on the magenta bike had not tinkered with his bike computer at this stage. He turned his mechanical skills toward reversing the fitment of his front wheel short of 1km from the start, and as is customary, we all obeyed the unwritten rule of not giving a stuff. Eric says he enjoyed his solo ride. Does Eric fib??
The news of the day was robrollin blessing us with his company. The prolific winner of recent Cycling Tasmania Open events in the far north gave a dazzling display of cycling, often 200 metres distant to the front.
Prediction:- Next Wednesday it will all happen again. A couple of spare grid positions are available for first timers. :D

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:32 pm

I will have to join you on one of these Wednesday morning ambles..some other stats for you...24.1avg out to Colebrook Pub. Avg 36+ on the return. Last 10ks 45+ and last 1000ms 60+ and last 200m 65+ so Strava tells me.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:23 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:I will have to join you on one of these Wednesday morning ambles..some other stats for you...24.1avg out to Colebrook Pub. Avg 36+ on the return. Last 10ks 45+ and last 1000ms 60+ and last 200m 65+ so Strava tells me.
I am confused. Your threat to " join you on one of these Wednesday morning ambles" is welcome news, however this is where my confusion arises. There seems to be a suggestion in your comment that you were not present today, or ever? Where do the strava stats refer to?

olmanec

Postby olmanec » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Left behind at start of ride because of farting around with computer on Wed, slow solo ride with much huffing and puffing to 20k TT turn, I dont have any upmarket Strava to give a detailed analysis, just my basic Timex computer, time trialled back -14mins 1st 10k, 12mins final 10k, average just over 46 kph good TT practice if only I had a tail wind both directions for club TTs. ps:I've rediscovered this site now Master6 is back and I only fibbed about enjoyment of the ride out!

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:42 pm

Ill be there on Wed :D

master6

Postby master6 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:06 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Ill be there on Wed :D
Welcome fl.

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Another perfect Richmond day - well it was a bit breezy - but the temperature was well into double figures so that made up for it. No idea how many turned up and rode - must have been well over 20 in three separate groups. A new record was set I believe - four lady riders.

My first ride back for a while so the course took us over Back Tea Tree Road to see how the road words are going - and they are and look like they will continue for a long time - right through TeaTree and dog leg left to Fingerpost, along the Highway and back over the gentle climb of Brinktop. Funny name that - Brinktop - suggests some sort of steepness but I don't know where they got that from :?

Some said the pace was quick. Some said it was easy. Some couldn't talk at all most of the time. Regrouping was key to the day as the undulations encouraged spurts of enthusiasm. Some idiot even tried chasing a truck! I couldn't keep up with it so had to let it go. Old habits die hard :mrgreen:

For those looking for an extra training incentive - don't forget the RBWR in between Xmas and New Year is on Boxing Day this year and we have scheduled a trundle down to Orford and back for that day. We probably need a bit of training before then so maybe Black Charlies is still on the agenda?

Coffee was good - conversation was varied - bragging rights were used sparingly - and talk of having to hire the Town Hall to fit us all in was a good laugh.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Some bloke with high level contacts within the Education Dept counted 25 in the carpark. I did not argue with him for fear that he might become all scotty about it.
It was a big relief to see that the truck chaser is not into biting the tyres. :D

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Fixedlegs was there! :D

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:24 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Fixedlegs was there! :D
Got F legs myself at the moment :|

Do tell fixedlegs, which one was you? I was in a PMM shirt, red knicks, red steel Clamont bike, down tube shifters. Some would just descibe me as "poetry in motion". I prefer "Not very fast, but pretty to watch" :D

Feel free to speak out here. Boasting is encouraged :lol:

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:15 am

master6 wrote:
fixedlegs2012 wrote:Fixedlegs was there! :D
Feel free to speak out here. Boasting is encouraged :lol:
I thought boasting was compulsory :?:
Felt AR2

master6

Postby master6 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Some adventurous planning by Leader BenevolentdictatorD saw a course not previously navigated by the RBWR. Richmond, Middle TeaTree rd, Brighton, and out toward Broadmarsh until Sam called "30km". A phone call caused Sam, a noted law abiding member, to slacken pace a little while he negotiated some "self employed persons difficulties" and then settled in to the rear of the group. The planned call did not come, but , fortunately, the ex communicated BNA member, Robrollin, came to the rescue with some gadget called a Garmin, and an about turn was arranged. A short distance into the return journey found the front runners engaged in exchanging untruths and exaggerations, with the result that a nasty pothole was not signalled, and Giant Pete found it dead centre. K....lump! Ride on; seemed Ok. Not so. A few kms later saw Giant Pete announce a flat. This "flat' was his uninflated rear tyre. This caused the big pete to come to a halt, and the rest of the collection of near 20 resorted to a short discussion about the handling of such a matter. Punctures on the clean RBWR are very infrequent, and the manners section of the "How to behave on a RBWR" handbook was referred to hastily. Yep, we all stop when a mate punctures. So stop we did. Co2 canisters are dirt cheap now (can be had for as little as 99 cents) so the pinch flatted tube was replaced and inflated in quick time. Back to Brighton. Down Tea Tree rd. Swing right into Middle Tea Tree, and the ex communicated, pulled a wobbly and was saved by the brave chasing of some bloke on a red steel bike. Excommunicated recovered, stuck $20 into redbikes back pocket , and proceeded to exchange attacks with Sam the mobile phone man. On and on it went. Toward the Richmond golf club a cagey bloke called "App" negotiated his way in, out, and under riders to secure the box seat. It then began in earnest. Apparently Sam thought that, as he was in front at a particular road sign, his sitting up would determine two matters.
1. He was in front
2. This is a good place to have a finishing line.

Flexibility really is the name of the game. Anyone in front can identify anything from a blade of grass to a town hall, and determine that to be The Finishing Line.

Coffee, cake, and crap followed enjoyably. (The crap was listened to, not eaten)

Top marks again to The Richmond Bakery. Excellent coffee, excellent cake, magnificent covered outdoor venue.

Do it again next Wednesday

huskii8

Postby huskii8 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 am

Christian here. Sorry we missed it. We turned up at 0901 hours. I know, WAY too late!!! :oops: Hope to c u all next week.

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:39 pm

huskii8 wrote:Christian here. Sorry we missed it. We turned up at 0901 hours. I know, WAY too late!!! :oops: Hope to c u all next week.

Exactly 60 seconds too late Christian. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. RBWR is becoming so popular that car parking might present an obstacle if you arrive close to 9am, so get there a little earlier and enjoy the pre ride bullsh 1t . It also gives you a chance to size up your race, err----ride opponents, errr-----mates. Yes, your riding mates :D

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Defintely waiting an update on the sprint to the line as I beleive RobRollin won the sprint to the line.....as he later commented :twisted:

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:14 am

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Defintely waiting an update on the sprint to the line as I beleive RobRollin won the sprint to the line.....as he later commented :twisted:

Yes fixo, a contentious issue has arisen here, and I will address this shortly.

More important than the issue you have raised , is another question!
You are a new boy.
Why a querulous, petulant new boy would be so testy as to raise this matter seems rather perverse.

You need to understand that "the line" is not some definitive two dimensional geographic location fixed to specially selected remnants of a bluestone boulder fixed in bitumen.

Heaven forbid that I tell you this; the line is like God; the line is everywhere. Robrollin would surely have been in front "at the line" in several places during the ride.

Now, be a good boy and try to keep up with us.

cheers
M6

PS
I understand that one of our number is under suspension; any idea who it could be? :D

BenevolantDictatorD

Postby BenevolantDictatorD » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:10 am

The weather is looking pretty good for tomorrow with expected temperatures being 12 degrees at the start and 16 degrees by coffee time. Light northerlies shouldn't worry too many. Put the leg warmers at the back of the cupboard and start thinking of summer time!

Having talked it up a much as necessary - I will be afflicted by that curse of the employed - having to go to work. It happens every now and then. I will have time to ride out and wave everyone off and head home to prepare. As a result - no expectations of Bust-Me-Gall this week. I know. I know. You are all disappointed but maybe next week if the weather gods are kind to us again.

Another reminder for the post Christmas ride - Boxing Day is a Wednesday this year so the trundle down to Orford and back. Its 55kms each way from Richmond with coffee stops at each end so should be a nice ride in a good bunch.