Beach Rd mid week

kimmie

Beach Rd mid week

Postby kimmie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi all,

Given it will be sunny tomorrow and is my day off, am planning to do a long run on Beach Rd. Any suggestion where to start/finish? Last April I rode from Frankston to Mordialloc and return, 40KM total. Was hoping to ride longer tomorrow. Last April I rode on road because I couldn't find the trail. Is there such thing as bike path along Beach Rd - or pretty much it has to be on road?

How long is from Frankston to St Kilda/City? Is it doable or advisable to do during week day? (with all the cars park on the road side)?

Apologise for the n00b questions... I don't normally ride that way :-)

Ta

Ben
Last edited by kimmie on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

kimmie

Re: Beach Rd mid week

Postby kimmie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Just looked at Google maps... Last April I was riding along Nepean Hwy from Frankston to Mordialloc. Is that pretty much what people said 'Beach Rd/Route 33'? Or is there any better route than Nepean Hwy?

Thanks
Last edited by kimmie on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Ok... I think I understand now... So 'Beach Rd' is basically from Mordialloc to Albert Park... So if I start from Frankston, I will have to ride along Nepean Hwy until Mordialloc, then enter Beach Rd, and follow the road to Albert Park?

How safe is the route on weekdays?

Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 pm

Done it a few times midweek, from StK to Mordy/Franger and return. Off peak is no worries.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm

kimmie wrote:
How long is from Frankston to St Kilda/City?
About 50km, Ben. You could catch the train into the city and ride back.

ratter

Postby ratter » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Frankston to Mordy and back is approx 36-37 klms depending on starting point, many go from Frankston to Black rock and back which is regarded as 50 klms but my Garmin indicates 49

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Done it a few times midweek, from StK to Mordy/Franger and return. Off peak is no worries.
Thanks Shaun.... Plan to start at 10.30ish from Frankston, going 'up' to St Kilda... Bit worry about riding on Nepean Highway... But should be okay as long as I keep on left and have my rear lights full on... BTW looking forward to joining BNA's bunch ride in Spring... :-)

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:41 pm

clackers wrote:
kimmie wrote:
How long is from Frankston to St Kilda/City?
About 50km, Ben. You could catch the train into the city and ride back.
Cheers... Am contemplating whether to take the train down to Frankston and ride up one way then train home from City; or take the train to St Kilda, ride down to Frankston, going back up to St Kilda, then take train home.... The later will be close to 100KM isn't it?

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:42 pm

ratter wrote:Frankston to Mordy and back is approx 36-37 klms depending on starting point, many go from Frankston to Black rock and back which is regarded as 50 klms but my Garmin indicates 49
Will check on Google maps for Black Rock... Thanks buddy...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:38 pm

You'll have a hard time getting a train to St Kilda :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:42 am

Mulger bill wrote:You'll have a hard time getting a train to St Kilda :wink:
LOL... You're right Shaun... :-) will try Brighton Beach instead :-)

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:04 am

I'd use Beach Rd rather than the Nepean. You get a good run from Port Melbourne to Mordi, although it has several names over that distance, but it's route 33. There's an off-road path along the beach but it crosses numerous car parks and weaves through high-ped areas along the beachfront in places and the concrete joins are bumpy. But it's a worthwhile option to know about for pootle days, snacks, toilets etc.

I haven't ridden it for ages but Audax used to have a regular Wednesday ride down there if you want some company and people to show you the ropes. Also check Liv/Giant and Total Rush for early weekday rides; the TR one will be similar to a club ride but I think the Liv/Giant one is more relaxed.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:15 am

kimmie wrote:... Bit worry about riding on Nepean Highway...
There are some bits where it becomes 'you or them' and you have to seize the lane to stop them trying to squeeze past you. Don't feel guilty. You're minimizing the chance of an accident, which the motorists don't want to be involved in, either. They just might not appreciate that as they honk you.

For some of the way, Station St is on the other side of the railway, but I haven't used it yet.

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:22 am

clackers wrote:For some of the way, Station St is on the other side of the railway, but I haven't used it yet.
+1 to Station St, from Mordi to (most of the way to ) Frankston. On-road bike lane and less traffic.

Don't forget the Tour de Frankston if you go that far. :wink:

recurveron

Postby recurveron » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 am

Off topic , but on the right hand side of the youtube link , one of the other links ( stupid things stupid people do ) there is a great cycle crash about 1.30 mins in.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:11 pm

Living in Mordialloc I go either way during the week depending on my mood I guess. You will have bike company on Beach Rd, still pretty popular mid week, fairly safe due to people parking in the left lane so most of the vehicle traffic stay in the right hand lane, just that straight section from Brighton to Elwood with all the lights is the worst part. For the Nepean Hwy direction the Station St bike lane only goes to Carrum and then you have get back on the Hwy. The only trouble I have come across is the occasional abuse by a passing car/truck but you do have cars passing a lot closer than Beach Rd. Going through Frankston is the worst thing about heading this way so its only when I want to do some hills around Mt Eliza.

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:39 pm

The one time I've gone through Frankston was interesting as I had the same fwit red p plater cut me off twice.. 2nd time forcing me to turn down the same street as them otherwise i would of been collected

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for all the replies... I didn't realise there were so many replies and inputs to this one... thanks again. Appreciate it.

I ended up riding last week from Frankston to Docklands... it was really a pleasant ride indeed. It's my first time to ride along the 'Bayside Trail' as well. No big dramas along Nepean Highway other than a big truck reversing right in front of me trying to park its big butt :-) but all's good. Really good.

Anyway - I am organising a 'Fathers day fun ride' in September for some blokes from my local church, and really interested to have it along that 'Bayside Trail'. Was thinking to start somewhere and finish at St Kilda Road.

Can anyone gives me an idea where should we start our ride from? I am looking at around 15-20km ride because most of them will be a 'once-in-a-year' riders, some even with old rusty bikes... oh well, it's for fun anyway. For exactly the same reason, I'd like to keep the ride entirely in the trail (away from speeding cars, etc).

Thanks again for the valuable inputs. Good stuff.

Ben

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:10 pm

You could start at Brighton or Elwood or St Kilda Beaches and finish at Southbank or St Kilda Rd. From Port Melbourne you follow the light rail on a separate path into the city.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 pm

clackers wrote:You could start at Brighton or Elwood or St Kilda Beaches and finish at Southbank or St Kilda Rd. From Port Melbourne you follow the light rail on a separate path into the city.
Sounds like a great idea... I will arrange for them to start from Elwood Park and finish at Port Melbourne... that would be around 15KM right? should be OK...

Anyway - which route should we take from Port Melbourne to CBD? any chance of riding all the way on a trail and completely avoid road sharing with motorists?

Cheers mate...

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:48 pm

kimmie wrote:
Anyway - which route should we take from Port Melbourne to CBD? any chance of riding all the way on a trail and completely avoid road sharing with motorists?..
Yep, alongside the light rail is a path ... no cars, just peds, dogs, the usual suspects ....

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi buddy... thanks for your ongoing help... I am terribly sorry but I still didn't get it... which 'light rail' that you mean? Sorry for my ignorance.

2nd question that maybe you - or anyone here, could help... some of the 'fathers' want to join but they don't own a bicycle. Now I understand there's one 'rent-a-bike' place in Federation Square, is there such thing in/near Elwood?

Thanks again for your time

Ben
clackers wrote:
kimmie wrote:
Anyway - which route should we take from Port Melbourne to CBD? any chance of riding all the way on a trail and completely avoid road sharing with motorists?..
Yep, alongside the light rail is a path ... no cars, just peds, dogs, the usual suspects ....

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:13 pm

The light rail is the old Port Melbourne railway but now it takes trams. The old station is opposite the Tassie ferry terminal and a shared path runs alongside the line all the way to Clarendon St. From there you can ride on the footpath to Southbank
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:18 pm

from Franger, a better ride is outbound along the Nepean Hwy, turn right at Main St(?) to Mornington and then continue along the coast to Dromana.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 pm

jules21 wrote:from Franger, a better ride is outbound along the Nepean Hwy, turn right at Main St(?) to Mornington and then continue along the coast to Dromana.
And you get the Mt Martha climb for fun and profit! :)