Should I ride with my wife?

Peacewise

Re: Should I ride with my wife?

Postby Peacewise » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Last ride I did with my missus was quite some time ago.
A quiet little jaunt around a forest with wide dirt roads and occasional wide single tracks. That was pretty good fun... til we went across a 2 metre wide wooden raised deck with a few turns in it - some kind of shared bike/walking bird trail. Anyways, she fell off and it was a long way down, fortunately the fall was onto a bed of quite soft pine needles and leaves and stuff - no harm done, but it scared the beejesus out of her. She's never gotten back on the bike since, claims it's "just not my thing".

So be careful with your missus, keep the cycling technically simple and safe, as well as at her fitness level.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am

It sure is safer than riding with your girlfriend...especially if you're married

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Don’t ride with the wife, :P It's not a good look, I can't stand husband and wife cycle groups :mrgreen: It's like born again or the Flanders from the Simpsons. :shock:
Next you will have matching lycra and matching helmets. :roll: You can't flirt with other riders of the opposite sex when you ride with your spouse, and you can never ever be yourself. My husband stays at home and takes the kids to sport, he washes the dishes on weekends and hangs the washing on the line. It’s my time. :mrgreen:

If you must ride together get a tandem
Hw cool do these guys look 8)
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Max

Postby Max » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:04 pm

Apple wrote: Flanders from the Simpsons.
..feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!!!

:lol:

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:52 am

I ride with my partner sometimes. Usually I try to beat him. :-)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 am

ovie68 wrote:Thanks to the guys that have written about how much they enjoy riding with their other half. I ride with my husband and always feel guilty about him having to ride at my pace so it's good to hear that you still enjoy your rides. :)
I am a touch envious of those who get to ride with their partners. Good on both you and him.

If you ride with me I guarantee that you will not feel guilty for holding me up. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 am

I don't enjoy riding with my wife, an exercise-obsessive for whom every ride must be longer, harder and faster.
So she goes with her equally fitness-obsessed buddies, and I go solo and ride the way I want to ride.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:46 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
ovie68 wrote:Thanks to the guys that have written about how much they enjoy riding with their other half. I ride with my husband and always feel guilty about him having to ride at my pace so it's good to hear that you still enjoy your rides. :)
I am a touch envious of those who get to ride with their partners. Good on both you and him.

If you ride with me I guarantee that you will not feel guilty for holding me up. :mrgreen:
I'd be more than happy to ease off the pace to have the missus come for a roll from time to time. We enjoy getting out for a walk when we can minus kids and get a decent chat in. I can't see why we couldn't have a gentle roll and enjoy each others company and get a chat in too. Good for the body. Good for the mind.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:07 pm

I ride with my wife whenever she feels like it, we only average about 16kmh over a hilly 16km course, with a few stops on top of each hill.
But it's a nice casual ride, so it's all fun.

Cheers

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Done 30ish Klms with wife yesterday along coast to point Cartwright, around canals on way home etc, had a blast !
More relaxed ride on our mtb's and less taxing.
Very much enjoyed ! :)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Apple wrote:Don’t ride with the wife, :P It's not a good look, I can't stand husband and wife cycle groups :mrgreen: It's like born again or the Flanders from the Simpsons. :shock:
Next you will have matching lycra and matching helmets. :roll: You can't flirt with other riders of the opposite sex when you ride with your spouse, and you can never ever be yourself. My husband stays at home and takes the kids to sport, he washes the dishes on weekends and hangs the washing on the line. It’s my time. :mrgreen:

If you must ride together get a tandem
Hw cool do these guys look 8)
Apple, Apple, Apple, I sense you are covering up here. In our house the saying is that couples who ride together RIDE together (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Mrs Monsoon and I get out together one day a week, usually Saturday or Sunday, and I throttle it back to her pace which is still pretty reasonable. we've been married nearly 38 years so we can flirt with whoever we want to flirt with and the other one just thinks its funny.

Let your kids find their own way to sport, you take your husband riding and when you finish you can shower-down and, well, go riding again! :D :shock: :D
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:[Apple, Apple, Apple, I sense you are covering up here. In our house the saying is that couples who ride together RIDE together (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Mrs Monsoon and I get out together one day a week, usually Saturday or Sunday, and I throttle it back to her pace which is still pretty reasonable. we've been married nearly 38 years so we can flirt with whoever we want to flirt with and the other one just thinks its funny.

Let your kids find their own way to sport, you take your husband riding and when you finish you can shower-down and, well, go riding again! :D :shock: :D
8) So you missed me, you hairy monkey :P
My kids are getting to old for going to sport, don't you worry, about taking Mr Apple riding, he needs to rest as he needs to work hard to keep me the way I like it :wink:
We have core time when I return from my rides. 8)
Good to see that Mrs Gorilla is riding with you :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:56 am

Apple, always missing you.

Now you just make sure Mr Apple gets his leg over every now and then. Over a bike, I mean. We wouldn't want him gathering dust through lack of use, would we?

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:.

Now you just make sure Mr Apple gets his leg over every now and then. Over a bike, I mean. We wouldn't want him gathering dust through lack of use, would we?
:shock: Bad Gorilla, bad.

So Seriously,
Don’t ride with the wife, you are always going to try and push her and give her advice, she is going to get frustrated and just scream at you, or she may kick your ass, either way it will not be a happy ending, just let her do her pilates class or spin class whatever it is she does. She does not need to see you do the bushman’s blow.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:06 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Ozkaban wrote:A tandem unicycle... now that I would like to see!
Here you are. :lol: Ask and ye shall receive.

Only just saw this. Thanks for the laugh, Colin :mrgreen:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I like having a happy marriage... I don't ride with my wife ( last time I did was over ten years ago and she tried to break her leg on a big drop off )... Bikes in the garage still if she wants it... But she better be quick as my 8 year old boy is only a year or so away from fitting it :-) .

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Apple wrote:

So Seriously,
Don’t ride with the wife, you are always going to try and push her and give her advice, she is going to get frustrated and just scream at you, or she may kick your ass, either way it will not be a happy ending, just let her do her pilates class or spin class whatever it is she does. She does not need to see you do the bushman’s blow.
Hey Apple, maybe it's just you that gets frustrated?

I don't worry about pushing my wife, I stop when I think she needs a break, and generally just use the ride as a day off.

And she even got back on after breaking her ankle last year, so not all wives get frustrated. :-) maybe you need to follow Gorillas suggestion ;-)

Cheers

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Apple wrote:

So Seriously,
Come on Apple, it's the 21st century, not the 18th century! The girls and the boys are equal now. we ride at a leisurely pace and chat to each other and I don't even demand she ride a respectful three metres behind me. Rather than Pilates etc she has a Wii console (heard of those, Apple? You plug them into the televison set. Do you want me to explain "television"?) and does her exercises at home.

I don't do the bushie's blow. I am a snorter and spitter and, gentleman that I am, I always drop back a couple of metres before aiming one into the scrub so she is not confronted by the sights and sounds of a golly bomb.

As for the happy ending, always! :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:49 pm

In our house it's called the 3R's, ride, r... and rest!
:wink:
Lisa

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:10 pm

My wife and I are away for the weekend in Ballarat riding. Having a lovely time. :D

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Case closed then. :mrgreen:

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:33 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Case closed then. :mrgreen:
:lol:

Alan Werner

Postby Alan Werner » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 am

I had a similar prob wanting to go with hubby but really unable to keep up , lost confidence and interest :( UNTIL I found my wonderful EASYBIKE with electric assist, now I always have a tail wind an never break a sweat, my enjoyment level and confidence is fully restored and we are contemplating recumbent trikes (mine electric assist of course) Railtrails and wineries are now on our riding radar. The electric assist option has made all the difference to our riding time together, PS I haven't complained since, Hope this helps you guys as much as it helped us, :D Very Happy Wife

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:49 am

thecaptn wrote:My wife and I are away for the weekend in Ballarat riding. Having a lovely time. :D

I don't think this is case closed I want to know how it went. Did you enjoy the time? Did she cycle more than 3klm without whining? Is she improving with her fitness level? Sounds to me like she really wants to share this activity with you. Are you planning on longer or regular rides as well as tours?

BTW if you come up with some ideas on how to level the playing field, between your fitness and your wifes please share them. Because whilst I cycled for 9.5 hours last week with my husband and we are on MTBs our average speed is only 20klm, I know I am working by the end of a 3 hour ride and he needs more. It is a compromise, and I wouldn't do it without him and well….. I initially tried to get him to join a club so I'm guessing he doesn't wish to do this without me. Sort of nice actually. :oops:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Yep, I ride with my wife along the bike paths. We don't get up much pace and the hardest part is negotiating the roads to get to the paths. Women like the road edge, so I sit out in the centre behind her, no problems.

The secret is to stay with e'm and ask often if they want to rest. :D I fitted two drink holder to both bikes and freeze half the bottles and then top up with water, for nice cold drinks.
We started with short trips and are up to 18km each way these days. It doesn't hurt to find a nice coffee shop at the half way mark either. :D
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers