Sydney-Perth going up North in June/July.

Baalzamon

Re: Sydney-Perth going up North in June/July.

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:
polishbiker wrote:Last night in Perth :D

See you in around December.
Safe riding and have FUN!

Andrew
He has already picked up a puncture, internal tho so either too much pressure or a pinch flat. Took him 1.5hrs to get the bike sorted out after unpacking it.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:02 am

J Quinton wrote:I've got a spreadsheet of all the best bakeries in Aust. if anyone's interested.
There aren't any good bakeries in Port Douglas. But there are a couple in Cairns, if its not too late.

He has already picked up a puncture, internal tho so either too much pressure or a pinch flat. Took him 1.5hrs to get the bike sorted out after unpacking it.
None of this is unusual. I have never timed how long it takes me to "sort out" my bike i think its usually longer than 1.5 hours. On my first overseas trip with bike and first solo journey which was to indian landing in delhi, i had a two punctures within the first two kms and i was rushing to catch a train. What a saga but that 4km journey to the train station is perhaps the highlight of that 4 month long tour. See pictures of where i road to get to the train station here. http://www.photoblog.com/ShangriLa/2007/11/03/

So when i got to the train station, the train was delayed and i had to wait there with my bike and stuff for 6 hours before the train left on its overnight journey to Bikaner. When i got off the train in the morning at the station which was about 5km from town, i got another puncture within the first 2km.

I didnt' really have any more after that. But i also learnt to pump my tyres up better and not to get snake bike punctures. But i think in all the fomer cases the punctures were cause by nails and not snakebikes.

If anyone ever goes to delhi you must try the adventure i had which was to ride from pahar ganj to old delhi station along this busy road ie the busiest road you can find. Do not take diversions to the quiet roads. All the life of india is in this street. Suffice to say i could not take any pictures whilst i was rushingfor the train. I had to go back and do it again in a rickshaw to take the pictures.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 am

Baalzamon wrote:He has already picked up a puncture, internal tho so either too much pressure or a pinch flat. Took him 1.5hrs to get the bike sorted out after unpacking it.
Ouch 1.5 hours ... not my idea of fun. Really shouldn't take that long to remove the panniers fix the puncture and get going again.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:He has already picked up a puncture, internal tho so either too much pressure or a pinch flat. Took him 1.5hrs to get the bike sorted out after unpacking it.
Ouch 1.5 hours ... not my idea of fun. Really shouldn't take that long to remove the panniers fix the puncture and get going again.

Andrew
Well it does if you forget something critical.... he left his pitlock key where he stayed :oops:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Well it does if you forget something critical.... he left his pitlock key where he stayed :oops:
Yikes. That does worry me about my Pitlocks ... really need to come up with a good solution to reduce the risk. One key into my tool bag for sure. Not sure what to do with the other as yet. Maybe on my lanyard with the bike lock key or something.

Andrew

RonK

Sydney-Perth going up North in June/July.

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:01 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Took him 1.5hrs to get the bike sorted out after unpacking it.
Well, it would take me at least that long to reassemble my bike after unpacking it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:33 pm

beautiful weather here :)

Yes, 1,5h was to put the bike together at the airport.

staying here for a few days then going to cooktown along the coast, meant ot be nice scenery!

Also very random...had a please of having a coffee and a chat with this guy:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=6122
http://www.tilmann.com/en/index.php

Cant get much more motivation than that :P

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:That does worry me about my Pitlocks ... really need to come up with a good solution to reduce the risk. One key into my tool bag for sure. Not sure what to do with the other as yet. Maybe on my lanyard with the bike lock key or something.
That is basically what I've done - pitlock key is on the key-ring with the bike lock key and house key. Second one in the tool-box (must remember to pack it in the touring tool kit) and another matching coded key is on the GLW's key-ring (she has pitlocks as well, same key).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:46 pm

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:That does worry me about my Pitlocks ... really need to come up with a good solution to reduce the risk. One key into my tool bag for sure. Not sure what to do with the other as yet. Maybe on my lanyard with the bike lock key or something.
That is basically what I've done - pitlock key is on the key-ring with the bike lock key and house key. Second one in the tool-box (must remember to pack it in the touring tool kit) and another matching coded key is on the GLW's key-ring (she has pitlocks as well, same key).
I wish i even knew what a pitlock was. I obviously have never used one. Is it something one has to have?

I keep keys in my money belt which is around my waste. I keep my allen keys tool set (which has all fallen apart) in a plastic bag but another type of little nylon zipped up bag would be better still.

I keep my tiny key ring torch in money belt as well.

I have a net topped zipped up bag for all my toiletries and things that are small and fly about and get lost. Some of hte really tiny things in little packets or bags of one sort or another inside the bigger net bag. I bought that net bag from kathmandu years ago and its been such a great thing to have on any trip i've ever been on. Its just a bag about 12 inches long, 8 inches wide and 2-3 inches deep. Its made of tough black nylon and has a see through net lid with two zips. I love it.

Any other bitsy things, such as tools are just kept in plastic bags - because they are light.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Pitlocks

ImageImage

They will securely lock your wheels to the frame, and there are others for your seat bolt, stem top-cap, brake caliper bolts......

Only really needed if you have particularly valuable parts and/or you lock your bike in a risky area. In my case the Rohloff Speedhub makes my rear wheel worth >$2000 and the SON28 makes the front wheel worth >$500. So yes, pitlocks are worth the $50-60 cost
Last edited by il padrone on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Meditator wrote:I wish i even knew what a pitlock was. I obviously have never used one. Is it something one has to have?
It's a locking skewer, to stop thieves from stealing your wheels with expensive dynamo or Rohloff hubs. I don't use them because I think the risk of loosing or misplacing the key is much, much higher than the risk that a thief will recognise that my bike has hubs worth stealing then remove the panniers to get to the skewers and remove the wheels and make off with them.

But then I don't leave my bike unattended either.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:57 pm

They come with two keys, each of which can be fitted to your key ring.

One advantage of pitlocks is that, once fitted, you are able to securely lock the whole bike with just a lock through the front wheel around a post.
Mandatory helmet law?

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:18 pm

Meditator wrote: There aren't any good bakeries in Port Douglas.
Man oh man how wrong is that statement.

Mocka's make the best pie in Australia, I came out of vegetarian retirement for that one.

OK, I had another the next day.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Oh I don't know.

How do they compare to the Stone Hut pies? Surely you didn't miss this Mid-north SA delight?

Mandatory helmet law?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 pm

I had a seafood pie at mocka's yesterday actually but i never thought of it as a bakery. It probably is indeed a bakery but i think of bakeries as sweet pastries and stuff like that. I noticed they do also do sweet cakes but i resisted. Are they any good?

Not wanting to knock mocka's pies, they are quite good, i didn't think the seafood pie i had was as good as the scallop pies you can buy in Tasmania. Of course there are good and bad scallop pies in tassie but when they are good, they are indeed GREAT!. All mocka has to do is put some old fashioned curry powder into the white goup swirling around the seafood mix.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:04 am

hello :)

In Normanton now, small town.

so far journey has been great, beautiful weathed, lots of people met and not loosing too many kilograms i think like last time :P

today is my birthday so a rest day here to just be a tourist.

good fun!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:06 am

polishbiker wrote:hello :)

In Normanton now, small town.

so far journey has been great, beautiful weathed, lots of people met and not loosing too many kilograms i think like last time :P

today is my birthday so a rest day here to just be a tourist.

good fun!
Happy birthday :)

Andrew

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:39 pm

So you didn't go to cooktown? Cause you are moving pretty fast. At least that how it seems from here.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi Pawel,
Don't know how I missed this thread.

Good to see you out there again. Enjoy the journey.
Helen says Hi.
Keep safe ,

John

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 am

Some pics are posted here:

http://www.facebook.com/CyclingFromCairnsToPerthCharity

Relaxing in alice springs atm, really nice place with freezing mornings tho :P going on a 3 days organized tour to uluru etc this week and then cycling up north towards darwin.

John - was planning a Europe tour originally but thought i missed the boat when it comes to time of the year so decided to finish Austrtalia instead, Europe needs to wait for another year :) Hope to see you on your velomobile sometime in future, take care and say hello back to Helen :)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:28 pm

rama

Postby rama » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Great pics, Pawel! Keep them coming.
Ride on, safely.

V17L

Postby V17L » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Pawel
Hope you enjoy a tail wind going north.

The family really enjoyed you stayng with us for the last week.

Hope the pasta gives you strong legs.

Keep the pictures up, good to see where you have been.
Kind regards
Steve t
Giant Defy 1

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Steve :)

Had a mixture of winds going up but made a good progress, few bigger days and couple of smaller, 2 days in mataranka to have a rest day, heading to Katherine tomorrow and going to spend a few days there, wash up, eat lots etc. think I lost a couple of kg on the 1100km section from Alice springs so looking forward to Katherine.

Bike is handling great, had 1flat in tenant creek, internal again so a bit weird, put a better tube is time - continental so see how we go, need some tubes from Katherine hopefully, then heading to kakadu and following it until I get to Darwin.

Big thanks to Steve for having me in Alice!

Ok, time for a swim in the thermal pools :)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Well half way point reached, arrived to Darwin today and staying here for a few days to have a look around and put on weight, 8kg lighter so far :?