Criterium Racing

Parker

Criterium Racing

Postby Parker » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi,

So where is the racing Crit racing in Perth? When does it start up again?

Are their women's grades or do we race with the men?

Cheers
Rowena

Tornado

Re: Criterium Racing

Postby Tornado » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm not really in the know, but I would contact your local club. I know that Peel Districts do criteriums down here in Mandurah regularly. http://pdcc.asn.au/

Oh and I think it's split by grade and not by gender. There are many ladies who whip my butt on Saturday Shop rides and I guess I whip some other ladies butts. It depends where you are at I guess.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Parker

Postby Parker » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Tornado wrote:I'm not really in the know, but I would contact your local club. I know that Peel Districts do criteriums down here in Mandurah regularly. http://pdcc.asn.au/

Oh and I think it's split by grade and not by gender. There are many ladies who whip my butt on Saturday Shop rides and I guess I whip some other ladies butts. It depends where you are at I guess.
In Melbourne we have women's grades, plenty of the A grade women place highly amongst the A grade men when they choose to race that way.

I'm still trying to decide on a club

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:37 pm

We may have separate racing. I'm not sure. I've only been to watch Peel a couple of times and it appeared to be combined there.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

lukee

Postby lukee » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Club choice might be driven by where you live...location?

Parker

Postby Parker » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Scab beach

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:58 pm

Northern Districts CC
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 am

Criterium season does not start till November

It is mixed sex graded racing AFAIK

Race calendars for Peel http://pdcc.asn.au/racing/events/ West Coast Masters http://www.wcmasterscycling.asn.au/cale ... lendar.htm (afraid you are too young)

Northern Districts is your closest club, but no idea of their calendar, their website is not the best or up to date, Fremantle-Melville next closest, same about calendar/website, Midland is a bit further, especially when their races are in the hills. Peel, bit of hike for you, but you can pop your bike on a train and then only have a short ride to most of their courses.

ps why wait for the Crit season, the road season is on now

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:46 pm

Road Racing? Primarily because I'm a triathlete training for Ironman and I've only got time for so much stuff at the moment.

My schedule is pretty full, criteriums will be perfect brick training (hard effort followed by a run of the bike for a few km's) and I actually like crits.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:05 pm

Parker wrote:Road Racing? Primarily because I'm a triathlete training for Ironman and I've only got time for so much stuff at the moment
About 1/4 the people I race with are triathletes in "training", though most for a local half ironman coming up in a couple of months.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I would assume road racing would be better suited for IM training rather than a crit.

Better yet check out the roster for when the club has their TT's on.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:15 pm

nickobec wrote:
Parker wrote:Road Racing? Primarily because I'm a triathlete training for Ironman and I've only got time for so much stuff at the moment
About 1/4 the people I race with are triathletes in "training", though most for a local half ironman coming up in a couple of months.
Awesome for that 1/4 of people that you race with.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:16 pm

skull wrote:I would assume road racing would be better suited for IM training rather than a crit.

Better yet check out the roster for when the club has their TT's on.

If you want generalise then that's a great statement to make, you got access to my coach and training program when?

skull

Postby skull » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 pm

I was making comment about it and providing a suggestion. If you want be an internets warrior then fill your boots.

If you don't like hearing from other peoples posts on the net maybe cut back on the caffinated drinks and log off instead of getting overly sensitive.

Might be a good time to look up the srsly clip on you tube.

Funny bunch these triathletes :roll:

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:29 pm

skull wrote:I was making comment about it and providing a suggestion. If you want be an internets warrior then fill your boots.

If you don't like hearing from other peoples posts on the net maybe cut back on the caffinated drinks and log off instead of getting overly sensitive.

Might be a good time to look up the srsly clip on you tube.

Funny bunch these triathletes :roll:
Your comment on the emotion that you appear to have interpreted through my words on my previous post is incorrect.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Maybe I should cut back on the caffinated drinks.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:03 pm

skull wrote:Maybe I should cut back on the caffinated drinks.

life is best lived at full speed ;)

Troy C

Postby Troy C » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I can provide somewhat more relevant answers to your question. Yes Crits start around November and yes Peel is to far for you
Northern Districts, Midland Cycling club and RCCC all have crits on during summer, but date are not released until the last minute.
But during summer you could say every 2nd week there is a crit on near Perth, Most of the time north Perth.
IF you are on Facebook , Like cycling WA, good info is posted there
To race these crits you will need a Cycling Australia Elite license

Also something from left field and if you can do early mornings ATTA have a great TT series in Kings Park during summer Tuesday Mornings with a female points comp.
Regards
Troy
Rota-M Cycling Team, Board Member of ATTA, Member of CWA, WCMCC

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks Troy, Summer series at Kings Park sounds good, I'm assuming if work took away my twitter and gmail that they took away my facebook, I'll check it out when I get home.

Thanks for the relevant answers :wink:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:18 pm

This thread was looking like worlds collide train wreck, but has turned out nicely thanks Troy C :)
I'm interested in seeing the Kings Park summer series just as a spectator (I don't feel like a 1/4 of a triathlete), I heard about it and saw riders filtering out around the city as I was getting to work last season.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Hey Parker I should of been more specific.

In my grade races at Peel most weeks there are 3 to 6 members of the Rockingham Tri Club who use road races as part of the structured training for the Mandurah 70.3

I have had the triathlete training structure explained to me, but as a is cyclist (who can't swim due to shoulder injury) and committed to a single sport, I think I grasped the basics, but that is it.

IMHO it is part the social nature and part the competitive nature of road races that make then more "fun" training than solo rides on the TT bike. Even though you tempo does vary dramatically in a road race, compared to your typical triathlon and you don't need to leave anything for the run.

So looking for something to break the monotony of solo training rides and it fits your training structure, maybe check with your local tri club and see if anybody does similar "road race" training.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 pm

nickobec wrote:Hey Parker I should of been more specific.

In my grade races at Peel most weeks there are 3 to 6 members of the Rockingham Tri Club who use road races as part of the structured training for the Mandurah 70.3

I have had the triathlete training structure explained to me, but as a is cyclist (who can't swim due to shoulder injury) and committed to a single sport, I think I grasped the basics, but that is it.

IMHO it is part the social nature and part the competitive nature of road races that make then more "fun" training than solo rides on the TT bike. Even though you tempo does vary dramatically in a road race, compared to your typical triathlon and you don't need to leave anything for the run.

So looking for something to break the monotony of solo training rides and it fits your training structure, maybe check with your local tri club and see if anybody does similar "road race" training.
I'm not looking to break the monotony of solo training rides, I like them, I don't like road racing, I like criteriums because i raced crits before I started tri's and it's not bad threshold training and there's nothing wrong with doing a run after a crit.

I'm not looking for a new coach right now

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:13 pm

By the sounds of it there should be plenty of opportunities closer to Summer up near Perth. Hopefully that should suit your requirements soon. I'm with you on the Crits. They do look quite fun, but I am also interested in road racing. Hoping to do some in 2013 down here with Peel. That's the goal anyway. Will assess where I'm at physically towards the year with some more miles under the belt.

Mite hit up Nickobec closer to the time for some first hand info.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

Karati

Postby Karati » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Most of the road racing around town is like a long crit race anyway. Round a circuit etc just a bit longer.