Vander's Tour to Canberra

vander

Re: Vander's Tour to Canberra

Postby vander » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:58 pm

LACC A grade Sat - What a difference 24 hours (or not even) can make. Admittedly it wasnt to tough a race with only 8 or so riders and not many super strong riders. First half of the race noone really wanted to race and we just rolled around pretty cruisy. There was a big headwind on the finishing straight and I think everyone knew they werent going to stay away for a long time. The second half the attacks started. Only really 2 people of the 8 were attacking every now and then so it wasnt to bad but I had a couple myself and marked the 2 I thought could stay away. Coming into the last 20min I kind of went on attack after attack not putting too much into any attack I was just rolling off the front when the pace slowed and just riding a hard tempo didnt spend more then half a lap in the bunch for about the last 7 or 8 laps. With 3 to go I just got caught again and the pace slowed so I went again but went harder this time, I got a bit of a gap but I was struggling a bit. Stayed away till a bit over 1 lap to go. The last lap I knew I didnt have the legs for a sprint so I told my mate I would lead him out. Out of the last corner I came to the front and gave everything I had left (which wasnt too much), B grade got a bit mixed up as they were at the end of their cool down lap and all over the road. With about 150 to go 2 guys came around me (the guy I was leading out infront) and then I sat up and 1 more came past. Finished 4th in the end with the guy I led out getting 2nd by less than half a wheel.

Today was hill climb champs (and first stage of ToA which they told me I had to race A for) - I didnt get to sleep as early as I wanted last night (though not heaps late) so my plan to do a big ride after the hill climb kind of went out the window there. As for the hill climb I got there with plenty of time to spare but it was soo cold so I was not in the mood for warming up really so only ended up doing 10min or so of easy rolling. I hadnt been up the climb so I didnt really know what to expect but had been told it was steady for a couple of km then a bit flatter for a few 100m then got steep up towards the finish. So off I went trying not to go out too hard, by the flat (or flatter) bit I was working hard, making good time and starting to overtake people. When it got steep I didnt have as much left in the tank as I thought I did, I tried to spin as much as possible up this bit then I turned the corner and all of a sudden the finish was 50m or so away and I still had a little left in the tank so sprinted a little up to the line. I came in with a time of a bit under 12min (I think I got 11:45 on my garmin but strava said 11:54) pretty happy with that was aiming for sub 12min. I am a bit heavy at the moment weighing in at about 83 or so. I am not going to focus for the next few weeks on trying to get down to atleast 78 and when I get there shoot for 75.

I was going to go out and do another few kms this arvo but now I am home I have got pretty sleepy so just going to do stuff around the house and have a snooze I think.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Gotta loose that weight fast the results are saying I was the second slowest A grader up the climb on the weekend. The time they got was more like the Strava time with 11:53. I was 1min 42 off the leader and 1min 28 off some really good climbers (Ben Dyball) so not too unhappy with that if I wanted to compete with them I would have to be (and could be) 10kg lighter which on a hill like that would cut a good minute off me I think. So now I need to stop talking about it and start doing some kitchen walk aways. This next 3 weeks I think is going to be really tough Horsley Park and Oakville are not going to be easy in A grade.

vander

Postby vander » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Had a pretty bad week both on the eating and training front. Found myself tired and hungry a lot. Friday night came along and I trundled down to RAW not feeling great excited that it was teams night so it mattered less what I did and more how my team went. Warm up scratch was terrible for me tactically with about 5 laps to go I was second wheel and the guy went to the front and turned the gas off so I overlapped his wheel a bit and then he started to swing up and being on the outside I had to also I then tried to pick up the pace to go around him when he decided oh I might drop back into the sprinters lane and up the pace to. What proceeded was 4laps of me on his shoulder going from trying to drop back into his slip stream (where his wheel was taken by now by someone else) to trying to get actually on the front but whenever I would up the pace he would also. Anyway when the sprint came I just sat up and rolled in. Next race were the keirins I think I got a weaker field but me and my friend from the last race were in it. I didnt feel like I had much in the legs and when I went to kick there wasnt much there but still managed second behind the guy that annoyed me in the first race.

Next up was a miss and out, which is an elimination but then you drop back to a derny bike and end in a keirin. I decided that the other guy on my team would go for the overall and I would get on the bike and try and lead him out (and let him in) when he dropped out of the elimination. So I just sat up first lap and got behind the motorbike, the guy on my team ended up getting second in the elimination part but then couldn't get on the front with me for the keirin part so I decided I would just take the big points. When the motorbike pulled off I went straight away got a good gap then with 1/2 a lap to go I had a look and had about 50m but it was my team mate leading home the pack (pretty comfortably) so I swung up and let him come over in first to guarantee him the win. Last race was a super Italian and as our team finished on top points we would race off for first. We got off to a terrible start but then came home strong to take it out. I felt like I could go for a lot more then my 1 lap on the front and it was probably the best I felt all night.

Saturday was Tour of August stage 2 at Oakville. I was in A grade and when I saw the people turning up I knew I was in for it. Safe to say my race didnt last long. Up the hill from the gun Brodie Talbot took off, the pace was pretty relentless and I missed my clip in first time and found myself over in the wind and at the back pretty quickly, lesson 1 stay out of the wind when you are out of your league. Then we got to the top of the climb proper and I was like ahh a relief from the pace. No 4 people go on the attack, the group scrambles for the wheels I was actually in an ok spot for this. They catch the guys then a 15second easing of the pace and another 4 go and I am now in second wheel and the front guy swings off. I do the same but as I did I slowed down far too much and the group sprinted across for the wheels and I found myself a few meters off the back, lesson 2 keep a bit of pace on when you swing off the front. This was pretty much the end of my race only about 5min in, I got on Brodie's wheel who was also a bit off the back but he sprinted across, and I just about made the junction when another attack went. For the next 5 min I chased hard to try and get back on but with the wind it was pretty futile (I did keep them at about 50-100m for a while) and at the end of lap 1 the group had about 200m and it was growing. Up the hill the second time I was stuffed and I only saw glimpses of the group after it. After 2 laps I pulled out as I didnt want to get mixed up in other grades. Our A grade race started with 19 after a lap there were probably no more then 12 left in the end. After about 3 laps 5 went off the front and there was only 5 left in the chase group. That chase group in the end ended up as 4 riders and the front group on the last lap attacked each other and came over in 1s and 2s.

This morning I did stage 3 out at the regatta centre. I was just hoping to finish in the main bunch. Surprisingly the pace was bearable but there was a pretty good cross wind on both straights causing a few problems as people rode in the gutter. About 2 laps in a group of 3 or so went off the front (strong riders also), Eddie Salas jumped across from the wheel infront of me when they were at about 50m, I decided I didnt want to be in the break for 70km so didnt try and go with him. Then a few km later with the group at about 100m Brodie jumped, then I thought this group will have the 6 or so strongest riders in the race, it will be the winning break even though its early. So I tried to go with him I got on his wheel but through the S bends I couldnt match his pace and lost 5m or so the out of the S bends I hit the big cross wind and tried to get those 5m but I couldnt Brodie was motoring. He crossed the 100m gap while I was swallowed up by the group that halved the gap. I started trying to work in the group as we kept the breakaway at about 100m for a few laps but then they started to just edge away. First it was 10sec then next lap 20sec etc we were organised for small . About 45km into the race they had a good gap and it was over for us and then BANG, about 4 riders came down heavy right near me. Most of our group turned around and checked if they were alright. Me and 2 other guys rolled on easy. Then C grade who we had recently lapped caught us so we jumped on there for a while and down the northen straight I would jump out into the wind to try and get a bit of a training effect. We stayed with them for 15-20km till their raced finished then the A grade break just about caught us so I sat by myself for half a lap then jumped on with them trying to stay at the back. After a lap or so it was their bell lap and they started attacking each other so me and the few other guys from the 'main pack' just sat off about 50-100m and let them fight it out. After the poor effort yesterday I am decently happy with the day I was far from being able to hold Brodie's wheel across the gap though I am not sure if I would of been able to hold onto the break away but I did plenty of turns in the main pack and felt decently strong. Only bad thing about today was I forgot my Garmin so no data :( .

Another big week of training hopefully and trying to get started on the weight loss.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:34 am

vander wrote:when I saw the people turning up I knew I was in for it
reality check! yep been there, done that :oops: at least you learnt a thing or two

nice report Dan
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:13 pm

vander wrote:Eddie Salas jumped across from the wheel infront of me when they were at about 50m, I decided I didnt want to be in the break for 70km so didnt try and go with him.
A man more than twice your age is he not? :P

vander

Postby vander » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:00 pm

ft_critical wrote:
vander wrote:Eddie Salas jumped across from the wheel infront of me when they were at about 50m, I decided I didnt want to be in the break for 70km so didnt try and go with him.
A man more than twice your age is he not? :P
And probably 3 times the talent and 50 times the experience. He beat plenty of other people half his age or less, the guy is a machine!

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:00 pm

A machine is rather an understatement...way of thinking is you have all that time to become as good....my

vander

Postby vander » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:56 pm

(AT)#$%! Hit by a car! 2 days ago I was going straight down a hill and the car turned right infront of me it was too late for me to even react. I tried a triple front flip over it but couldnt stick the landing. The result lots of bumps and bruises, lots of scans and a surgery for a badly broken finger with some severed tendons. Looking at probably being out for 8 weeks. I know something has been posted here before so I was wondering if someone could link me to the post about covering my hindy and making sure this woman doesnt get away with it.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:14 pm

Bugger! :x

There is a sticky at the top of the safety thread I believe. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah that sucks Vander... Hope you can get back on the trainer soon!... And get a new bike!.

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:37 pm

Bad luck vander!

skull

Postby skull » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 pm

Well at least the Canberra tour wad cancelled, so you won't have to worry about missing it.

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm

shocker mate....hope things heal quick....esp after davids tumble too...be well

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Bummer!! Heal well.
FPR Ragamuffin

vander

Postby vander » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:09 pm

Talked to the cops last night they all but said it was her fault. It seemed like they were going to charge her from what they were saying it was to what level they were deciding. Now looking into new bikes.

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Was the bike totaled then. Mate got cleaned up by a guy from the back going down he hill from Windsor to Richmond. Cops charged him with neg driving but he appealed and court date might be a year away,till hen no replacement for his giant tcr as no guilt proven yet and he isn't obliged to inform insurance till convicted. !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! system.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Bad luck Vander. What was the tendon damage?

You usually come back stronger from injury, provided you let it heal.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:50 pm

FT: it was completely ruptured, they had to repair/reattach it. Hopefully I come back strong.

Update: Saw Doc today happy with how its looking, new cast which is a lot smaller so I can now move my wrist. Unfortunately 8-10 weeks off the road (no AUGs or Kurrajong) and atleast 1 more week (till stitches come out) off the trainer. About 3 weeks till wires come out all going well then another 4 weeks of another splint. Also my hip is quite sore been for a few 10min walks and by the end of those I can barely walk, will need to get that looked into.

Oh and no driving till wires are out so another 3 weeks, so debilitating!

vander

Postby vander » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:43 pm

The car.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mjd

Postby mjd » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 am

Ouch!!! very lucky Vander hope your healing well.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:38 am

Porridgewog wrote:Was the bike totaled then. Mate got cleaned up by a guy from the back going down he hill from Windsor to Richmond. Cops charged him with neg driving but he appealed and court date might be a year away,till hen no replacement for his giant tcr as no guilt proven yet and he isn't obliged to inform insurance till convicted. wonderful person system.
I'd double check that - normally it is the other way around in that the insurer wants to know about POSSIBLE claims as soon as practical. In fact you can (but rarely do) lose your right to claim if you delay notifying your insurer.

The system's not perfect but to some extent, what else can happen? Do you just ignore appeals? Do you spend more money on the courts so that delays are shorter? There's not always a better way of doing things sometimes.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

vander

Postby vander » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

The new bike, still cant ride it but can admire it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will probably add a set of 50mm carbon clinches to her and she will be beautiful. dont worry havent adjusted the bars or anything the stem will be slammed, need to get a shorter stem also.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:37 pm

lookin good Dan!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

vander

Postby vander » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:48 pm

BMCs look so good dont they!

Steady as she goes for me not much happening was going to jump on the bike today did a bit of tinkering to get her ready for the trainer and then remember my cleats are broken, damn! So getting new cleats, hopefully wires come out on Thurs so I can ride, otherwise sticking to no sweating at the moment.

On another note looked at what is coming up in the way of big races when I am back and it looks like its mostly track stuff. So my trainer intervals are going to involve lots of shorter pursuit type intervals aswell as the 20min (for the scratch races etc) sucks I wont be able to work on my sprint but I think I will try and do that right at the end as for me atleast its pretty responsive. Thinking about possibly doing NSW omnium champs + a few other state champs depending on how I am feeling with the come back. Other then those there are a number of track opens and not many other big races, so its pretty much the road season over for me. Working on weight loss now with the target of 72kg (am 82 still). With my trainer efforts I will be hoping to get to a 20min power for 360 (40w on pre-accident) over the next 2-3 months which will give me 5w/kg which should have me motoring. Also hoping to get 4mins (3k pursuit length give or take) right up not sure what to aim for as I havent really done that length but might go all out and aim for 500W (6.9w/kg) but that might be asking for a bit much. With 1min (approx 1k TT length) my best was 780W (on the road) so ill be hoping to get up to 800W (11w/kg) I think that should be enough mostly maintanance there. Anyway they are the goals I have set myself for my recovery it is about 6weeks till I will hopefully be on the road again and the races are a bit over 2 months away so that will give me a few weeks of sprinting which might not be enough but hopefully if I am putting out good numbers I will atleast get to the end of the races.

vander

Postby vander » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:50 pm

13 minutes is all I lasted on the trainer till I had to get off with excruciating pain in my hip :evil: :evil: :evil: Nothing is going right, back on antibiotics as my finger is red hot and inflammed and im worried about infection. Been trying hard all week to control my eating and loose weight and its not going great probably because im doing next to no activity. :evil: :evil: :evil: