Scooters on shared paths

purplegolden

Scooters on shared paths

Postby purplegolden » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:49 pm

I have seen a red scooter a number of times on the shared path on the Wyndham Bridge and today on the Canning Hwy underpass in South Perth. Can anyone tell me if scooters are allowed on the shared path (I could not see any plates on it).

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:51 pm

As far as I know, they are not allowed on bike paths. Report it to the Police.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:57 pm

Does it have a number plate? There are some low powered scooters that are classified as bicycles.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Geoff3DMN

Postby Geoff3DMN » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Was it electric or petrol powered? Electric scooters with 200 watt motors and pedals are (as mentioned) classified as electric assisted bikes.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

--Ken Olson, president of Digital Equipment Corp. 1977

chuckchunder

riders of power assisted bicycles.......

Postby chuckchunder » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:11 pm

riders of power assisted bicycles are not allowed to engage the motor/engine while on a shared path in Western Australia. And you must be 16yrs or older to lawfully ride one.

From the DPI website: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/14860.asp
"When the motor is off, a power-assisted bike can be used just like an ordinary bike, but it cannot be ridden on a shared path with the motor turned on."

A scooter or motor bike is a motor vehicle, and their use of the path is unlawful.

I know I had a copy of the Road Traffic Act 2000 and the Road Traffic Code 2000 here somewhere......

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:07 pm

Thank you for the replies. It smelt like it was petrol powered. I'll check for plates again, but I could not see one on it.

steellife

Postby steellife » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:45 pm

I passed a couple of bicycles with 2 stroke motors bolted on on the Kwinana Fwy cyclepath heading Nth near Roe Hwy on Sunday. They were riding two up and stinking the whole scene out generally. Was glad to overhaul and pass them and get into clean air! :roll:

Dunk

Re: Scooters on shared paths

Postby Dunk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:35 pm

purplegolden wrote:I have seen a red scooter a number of times on the shared path on the Wyndham Bridge and today on the Canning Hwy underpass in South Perth.
Ha, I know that scooter - I was nearly cleaned up by it on the Kwinana Freeway path near Canning Bridge....or is there more than one?

uMP2k

Re: Scooters on shared paths

Postby uMP2k » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:08 pm

Dunk wrote:
purplegolden wrote:I have seen a red scooter a number of times on the shared path on the Wyndham Bridge and today on the Canning Hwy underpass in South Perth.
Ha, I know that scooter - I was nearly cleaned up by it on the Kwinana Freeway path near Canning Bridge....or is there more than one?
Pretty sure I have had a couple of runins with this scooter myself along the Kwinana freeway (as well as another on Centenury Ave bike path in Manning a couple of times) Mountain bike frame with a noisy and stinking two stroke motor attached. Wish it did have a number plate so I could report it to the police.

Geoff3DMN

Postby Geoff3DMN » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Personally I don't have a problem with people using electric assist cycles on paths (even if it's technically against the rules) as it doesn't really interfere with anyone else much.

But smelly, noisy 2 stroke motors have no place.

To be honest I think they (dirty 2 strokes) should be banned in lawn mowers, whipper snippers and other applications (with the notable exception of the new clean technology 2 strokes which are in some outboards and proper motor scooters).

Those little bolt on 2 strokes are definitely *not* modern clean tech 2 strokes though... :x
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

--Ken Olson, president of Digital Equipment Corp. 1977

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Wed May 14, 2008 8:05 pm

I need more suggestions! I have come across three different scooters in the past two weeks on the shared path - one on Mt's Bay Rd, one on the Wyndan Bridge and one near the railway crossing in Northbridge. None of these are licensed!

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed May 14, 2008 8:11 pm

I think the only thing you can do is report the time and place to the police. They might send their bike squad out there to patrol.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....