Converting SRAM Crankset to Shimano

sandman

Converting SRAM Crankset to Shimano

Postby sandman » Tue May 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Well I thought this was going to be an easy process. My SCOTT has an SRAM crankset and I thought I bought the bits to convert to Ultegra. I'm hoping someone can shed some light here....

The SRAM BB cups, left side screws in clockwise and the drive side screws in c-clockwise. Now the Shimano Ultegra BB cups (Brittish) I got seem to have a larger diameter than the SRAMS meaning they wont screw in to the frame. Also they both seem to screw in clockwise which I thought was odd. The arrow on the Shimano BBs are both clockwise yet the doco says they should screw like the SRAMs...thats got me stumped. I almost stuffed the old SRAM drive side BB as I thought it was the same as the shimano and I'm hitting the park tool with a hammer wondering why it wont unscrew....well now I know why, it needed to go the other way !!! damnn.. When I pulled the SRAM cups off water came out and the bearings run rough, I tell you this bike looked good but came with real cheap crap running gear !

Anyway so what I'm concerned with is, can I convert the SCOTT to Shimano from SRAM ? I'm really not sure what BB I can get to do the job. I will have to take the bike to LBS tomorrow in bits and see what can be done.

Pete
Last edited by sandman on Tue May 13, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue May 13, 2008 8:29 pm

Did you get the right BB threads when you bought your bottom bracket?

There are two kinds, English and Italian.

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue May 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Ben

These are the CUPS I got

I'm stumped as to what cups are supposed to fit ?

Pete

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Well if they're 2mm too big then you bought Italian when you should have got English threading!

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue May 13, 2008 8:40 pm

Ben

The docket shows I ordered 68mm Brittish. Sheldon Browns site shows that Brittish are L/R and the Italian are R/R. The ones they shipped me are R/R and are stamped 36x24.. Sheldon Brown's site tells me these ones are Italian.

Not f@rkin happy. I've just filled out the "returns" and will pop it in th email and get them replaced. In the meantime I need to find an LBS that has these in stock.

531db

Postby 531db » Tue May 13, 2008 10:30 pm

sandman wrote: The ones they shipped me are R/R and are stamped 36x24.. Sheldon Brown's site tells me these ones are Italian.

Not f(AT)rkin happy. I've just filled out the "returns" and will pop it in th email and get them replaced. In the meantime I need to find an LBS that has these in stock.
Yep, you have got Italian BB Cups, hopefully c r c will come good on correcting their mistake, but how frustrating!
Last edited by 531db on Wed May 14, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 14, 2008 8:46 pm

Pete, what a day, its all back together. Wallet hurt a little for the "urgent purchase of a BB" but otherwise all ok....We MUST meetup for a ride sometime ;-)

Pete