Cronulla to Olympic Park

DanH

Cronulla to Olympic Park

Postby DanH » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've finally got an opportunity where I can commute to work on my bike. The only problem is that most of the roads, especially around the Bankstown area aren't really bike friendly. Anyone got any suggestions on a route?

Thanks!

wombatK

Re: Cronulla to Olympic Park

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Cronulla to Olympic Park route wouldn't need to go through Bankstown.

See for example this route : http://www.ridethecity.com/sydney#2225803

Even a direct route http://www.ridethecity.com/sydney#2225807 wouldn't take
you through Bankstown - although Rocky Pt Rd and Bexley Rd wouldn't be nice
places in morning or evening peak hours.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

DanH

Postby DanH » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Thanks for that! I didn't know that handy little site existed.... I usually drive around the back of Menai and on to the M6 which is always the quickest route, but the other way looks a lot more friendly.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:40 pm

What might work for cars isn't always good for bicycles. You've got to think differently, and riding more
km's in greater safety and comfort is better than saving a bit of time.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:27 pm

DanH wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've finally got an opportunity where I can commute to work on my bike. The only problem is that most of the roads, especially around the Bankstown area aren't really bike friendly. Anyone got any suggestions on a route?

Thanks!
I would just take the Cooks River Path. You could probably save some time by joining at Tempe, but the path is a nice ride to Olympic Park
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:15 am

Vote +1 for Cooks River. Off street, safer but could be lonely without much pedestrian or cyclist traffic.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am

I ride this route from Gymea to Rhodes. There's some relatively heavy traffic but that doesn't bother me too much. It would be fairly easy to intergrate a ride from Cronulla into my route (via Capt. Cook bridge) as I've ridden that way before when I had to drop my car off for a service.

Note: It's not the same route "Ride the City" suggest. I would not touch Bexley Rd on a bicycle. Especially in Peak Hour.

Cooks River would be the safest option though.
2010 BMC SLC01

DanH

Postby DanH » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for all of the input.

I first rode to Tempe via Brighton and the took the Cooks River bike path the rest of the way which was surprisingly nice! Some of the signage could have been a little better, but all in all an enjoyable ride.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 pm

The book "Where to Ride - Sydney" has many rides, including Cronulla to Parramatta (via Olympic Park). I've never tried it though so can't vouch for the description (and some things make me wonder... such as the author's talk of bike lanes either side of Richmond Rd until the M7 when coming from the Blue Mts!)