Disc brakes - options

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Disc brakes - options

Postby maestro » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:14 pm

I'm looking for replacement pads for my disc brakes and am not sure which ones are the best value.

I have replaced one set on my bike before, the LBS sold me Hayes part "98-20197" "MX2,3,4/Sole Brake pad kit" for $45. I fitted these myself and they have worked and lasted well.

I am looking at my options, as there are numerous cheaper ones online. What are the performance and wear differences between Kevlar, Semi-metallic, and sintered pads? (I haven't found any ceramic ones available for my type)

Is there a difference in brands? The Hayes branded ones are more expensive, are they worth it?

Also, should I replace my rotor? It doesn't look too bad, but is starting to noticably wear (minor concentric grooves). If so, are the "wavey" rotors better than the cheaper standard ones?

FYI, it is for a MTB that I use for my daily commute, I commute in all weather and have to ford a creek so the brakes sometimes get dirty as well as wet. I have been doing daily commutes on the bike for more than three years and only replaced one set of pads so far, so they appear to be wearing pretty well. The brakes are cable (not hydraulic) and have 160mm discs (labelled TEKTRO Z5 160).
maestro

by BNA » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 pm

BNA

Re: Disc brakes - options

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 pm

No idea about pads Maestro, I stick with factory recommended.

As to the rotor, it depends how deep the gouges are but if they're at the stage where you're asking about them then it might be time to look for newies.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Disc brakes - options

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Some people love and some not so much love Avid brakes.

These are only $50 an end
Avid Elixir 1 Disc Brake - Black 2013 Most of the earlier Elixir problems are meant to be fixed for 12/13 models

Might be cheaper than your pads and rotors.

Pads I like EBC green lots of love for the Golds too better suited to the wet.
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
mitzikatzi

Return to The Shed