regular clothing vs lycra and skins

daniel85

regular clothing vs lycra and skins

Postby daniel85 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 pm

What are people opinions thoughts, expreiences etc.
What do you wear?
Do you wear under where under lycra. why or why not?
what are the benefits with the bib style shorts that go over the sholders.
what types do people use Skins etc.

lucky7

Re: regular clothing vs lycra and skins

Postby lucky7 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 am

Cycle-specific clothing if you are doing more than a gentle ride to the pub/shopping/etc. Would you play footy in jeans and a shirt? Comfort is the main thing - though plenty of people will be just as happy riding in whatever they are wearing.

No underwear - it rubs and chafes. Use some chamois creme or similar to keep everything pain free.

Bib shorts are generally accepted as more comfortable. They take the pressure off your waist-area/bladder.

I use 2XU; Santini; Vermarc; Babici; and Champion Systems.

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:36 am

I usually wear knicks if I'm riding over a few km. But it also depends on where I'm going, whether I can be bothered carting a change of clothes/getting changed. I once rode 40km in a pair of slacks, business shoes and business shirt while carrying a heavy backpack, and that was NOT a pleasant experience. Such an incredible amount of discomfort. I felt like jumping off the bike, stripping down and jumping into the ocean.

As most other people will tell you, regular underwear and clothing have seams in the crotch, which make for particularly uncomfortable rides if they're over a reasonable distance. So I don't wear underwear under knicks. Then again, some people I see are not affected by it at all and could ride all day in anything.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:42 am

weekend riding: full lycra, very comfortable, really makes a difference for rides over an hour
commuting: casual shorts, merino wool shirt. also comfortable, but noticeably slower (not an issue for commuting)

interestingly without a backpack and wearing lycra i can go about 5km/h faster for the same heart rate on the flat!

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am

Lycra all the way.

Bib knicks is all I've ever worn while riding my Roadie and it's gonna stay that way i find them very comfortable indeed.

Bike shorts are design to not be worn without underwear, so i don't.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 am

Daniel, if you're a bit worried about "the look", put shorts over the top of the lycra.

You may find MTB wear more your go. More casual looking (such as the padded shorts), and a looser cut in the jerseys and jackets.

The Hipster inner urban stuff even has specially designed jeans etc but at great cost.

Whichever way you go, you want thin layers, with the base being something that wicks sweat like plastic fibres or Merino wool - no cotton!

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm

I have only ever worn lycra. It's got to be the most comfortable material ever when on a bike.

Also bibs all the way, will never go back to waist knicks. Never ever with underwear either.

budget brands I use are DHB, sportful, bellweather, Altura which can be bought from wiggle and other online stores. More expensive and high quality you can look at Santini, Assos, Nalini, Campagnolo etc.
Last edited by rpmspinman on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm

daniel85 wrote:What are people opinions thoughts, expreiences etc.
What do you wear?
Bib shorts are way more comfortable - no elastic to cut into your waist. And no, you don't wear anything under them. Otherwise it all gets too hot and sweaty down there. :shock: Also, they don't flap about and are less likely to get caught in things.

As for the look, you'll get used to it and nobody else really cares when you are on the bike. As long as you haven't got the Polish cyclist thing happening, all is good. :lol: (and nobody link to that image!) :shock:

I use Castelli or Capo gear, also have Santini. Other gear I have is Tineli, thanks to BNA's cycling gear order. The Tineli stuff is probably the best I have, though Castelli is also really good.
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:
What do you wear?
Bib shorts are way more comfortable - no elastic to cut into your waist. And no, you don't wear anything under them. Otherwise it all gets too hot and sweaty down there. :shock: Also, they don't flap about and are less likely to get caught in things.

As for the look, you'll get used to it and nobody else really cares. As long as you haven't got the Polish cyclist thing happening, all is good. :lol: (and nobody link to that image!) :shock:

I use Castelli or Capo gear.
bahahaha. you reminded me of that. Daaaaam that's just WRONG :o
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:47 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
What do you wear?

As for the look, you'll get used to it and nobody else really cares. As long as you haven't got the Polish cyclist thing happening, all is good. :lol: (and nobody link to that image!) :shock:

Got to warn the new-comers! And it's funny as heck when a non-cyclist (or newbie) asks what that means - and then they find out. :lol: (cue red-faces or eye-popping reactions). :lol:

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Personally 95% of my riding is not for exercise its for transport so I generally just wear normal clothes. Most of my riding is within 15km.

Also, ALOT of people do care if you turn up to the shops or to work or to a friends place wearing clothing that leaves little to the imagination! I'm not saying its right, I'm just telling it how it is. That said if you are just riding for exercise and the most you are doing is stopping for a drink/coffee/lunch then who cares, wear what is comfortable.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:55 pm

I started riding with padded lycra nicks, which were OK but had to keep pulling them up all the time when riding so I decided to splash out and bought some Castelli bib nicks...and it's probably the best thing I've purchased for the bike so far.
They are SO comfortable and the padding is much thinner and lighter so you don't look like you're wearing a nappy.
Those that haven't tried bib nicks will never understand how much better they really are.

As for wearing them at shops etc. I wouldn't wear them down the street just for the hell of it but if I'm out riding then comfort comes first. If people are put off by seeing a guy in lycra (wearing it as a sports uniform), then that's their problem (not mine).
If I were visiting a friend that I knew didn't prefer that look I would consider taking a pair of pants/shorts with me that I could wear over the top when I'm at their house (and would remove them to ride home).

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:35 pm

DoogleDave wrote:I started riding with padded lycra nicks, which were OK but had to keep pulling them up all the time when riding so I decided to splash out and bought some Castelli bib nicks...and it's probably the best thing I've purchased for the bike so far.
They are SO comfortable and the padding is much thinner and lighter so you don't look like you're wearing a nappy.
Those that haven't tried bib nicks will never understand how much better they really are.

As for wearing them at shops etc. I wouldn't wear them down the street just for the hell of it but if I'm out riding then comfort comes first. If people are put off by seeing a guy in lycra (wearing it as a sports uniform), then that's their problem (not mine).
If I were visiting a friend that I knew didn't prefer that look I would consider taking a pair of pants/shorts with me that I could wear over the top when I'm at their house (and would remove them to ride home).

Dave
Well said Dave. Totally agree there. People need to get over it, or better yet, don't look if it offends so much. It's standard cycling attire in my opinion.

From a social aspect. It comes down to the occasion & location where one would adorn themselves in their cycling get up. At a coffee shop or running quick errands? Fine. But out to dinner or a job interview? Not really appropriate.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 pm

DoogleDave wrote:I started riding with padded lycra nicks, which were OK but had to keep pulling them up all the time when riding so I decided to splash out and bought some Castelli bib nicks...and it's probably the best thing I've purchased for the bike so far.

Dave
And otherwise you just wear black or other dark colours and avoid white (HTC) or red. I did have a strange occasion with one lady in a car silently having a very unsubtle look from the passenger seat of a passing car which slowed down quite a lot as well as it passed. She wouldn't have seen much as I wear black - and to be perfectly honest it doesn't bother me much, and I'd like to think she liked the view! :lol: (j/k).

There is a time and an occasion for it though. Running around the supermarket doing the shopping is going to look a bit odd. :oops:

Castelli are really good - especially those Bodypaint bib shorts they are awesome.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:43 pm

commonest question at the coffee shop...?

[aggrieved person] "why do cyclist always wear those silly clippy clop shoes?"

[me] "Same reason you wouldn't do ballroom dancing in flippers you silly clot."

* it's okay now Bradley Wiggins said the 'c' word

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Dave[/quote]

And otherwise you just wear black or other dark colours and avoid white (HTC) or red. I did have a strange occasion with one lady in a car silently having a very unsubtle look from the passenger seat of a passing car which slowed down quite a lot as well as it passed. She wouldn't have seen much as I wear black - and to be perfectly honest it doesn't bother me much, and I'd like to think she liked the view! :lol: (j/k).

There is a time and an occasion for it though. Running around the supermarket doing the shopping is going to look a bit odd. :oops:

Castelli are really good - especially those Bodypaint bib shorts they are awesome.[/quote]

I love my white Vermarc kit. For precisely this reason 8)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:29 pm

lucky7 wrote:There is a time and an occasion for it though. Running around the supermarket doing the shopping is going to look a bit odd. :oops:
When I'm out on a cycle tour we will often be seen doing this in towns. Never been aware of any funny looks or comments.

Having said that I must note that lycra knicks are really not needed for any rides less than 15-20 kms. I ride 10kms to work and back each day in trousers (tailored for cycling convenience - Showerspass Hybrid Zip-offs) with underwear - perfectly comfortable.

Even on longer distances regular clothing can be quite OK. A friend of mine tours long distances wearing this sort of clobber:

Last edited by il padrone on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

daniel85

Postby daniel85 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:32 pm

clackers wrote:Daniel, if you're a bit worried about "the look", put shorts over the top of the lycra.

You may find MTB wear more your go. More casual looking (such as the padded shorts), and a looser cut in the jerseys and jackets.

The Hipster inner urban stuff even has specially designed jeans etc but at great cost.

Whichever way you go, you want thin layers, with the base being something that wicks sweat like plastic fibres or Merino wool - no cotton!
Nah im not woried about the look, ive used them and like them just getting outher peoples thoughts and experiences baggy stuff gets so annoying,

daniel85

Postby daniel85 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:36 pm

what do you mean by the the Polish cyclist thing?????
g-boaf wrote:
What do you wear?

As for the look, you'll get used to it and nobody else really cares when you are on the bike. As long as you haven't got the Polish cyclist thing happening, all is good. :lol: (and nobody link to that image!) :shock:

I use Castelli or Capo gear, also have Santini. Other gear I have is Tineli, thanks to BNA's cycling gear order. The Tineli stuff is probably the best I have, though Castelli is also really good.

daniel85

Postby daniel85 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:37 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
What do you wear?

what are you referring to thats just wrong???

daniel85

Postby daniel85 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks everyone so far, keep your opions experiences comin through tho.

daniel85

Postby daniel85 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Where is the best places in adelaide to get the goold old lycra from and any good online places as well would be good

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:49 pm

daniel85 wrote:what do you mean by the the Polish cyclist thing?????
Polish cycling team victory and the boys were a bit too 'happy' :oops:

Google images for "Polish Cycling team" and the top row pictures will spell it out for you.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:49 pm

il padrone wrote:
lucky7 wrote:There is a time and an occasion for it though. Running around the supermarket doing the shopping is going to look a bit odd. :oops:
\
I never said that.... g-boaf did! I often wander around the supermarket in lycra. Sometimes I've even been riding.

BigPete

Postby BigPete » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:16 pm

I have had both bib and non bib pants and I much prefer the non bib variety. I don't seem to have the problems that other suffer from when wearing the non bib pants such as it falling down or being uncomfortable. They are also mush easier to get on and off and certainly easier when toilet time comes around. I have used various brands, SMS Santini, Netti, Pearl Izumi, but the best I have experienced has been Cannibal. I prefer lycra. It is comfortable, holds everything in place and stops cloths rubbing against skin. Wearing underwear doesn't cause me any problems from the fabric seams but I find it feels like the skin is being pressed between all the threads of the underwear, so is very uncomfortable.
I guess everyone is different so only experience wearing different clothing will give you the best information you require.