ORANGE PURE INNERGY (2011)

KonaCommuter

ORANGE PURE INNERGY (2011)

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:32 pm

It's my intention to keep a log of my Gazelle Orange Pure Innergy (2011) model in hope that it helps others.

Starting at the start

Purchased Mid August 2012 - $2,000

Frame - Aluminium
Gears - 7
Brake system - Shimano Rollerbrakes Rear, V-Brakes Front
Gear system - Shimano Nexus 7
E-Bike Sensor - Motion Sensor
Front fork - Fixed
Saddle - Selle Royal Star
Seat post - Suspended
Rims - Rodi Vision
Tyres - Schwalbe City Lite
Spoke pattern - Conventional (Extra Strong)
Front light - Basta 1 Hi-Power LED
Dynamo - Battery
Rear light - E-Bike
Stem - Shuttle
Lock - AXA Defender RL with Microchip and Cable Lock Insert.
2012 Oppy A4

Joeblake

Re: ORANGE PURE INNERGY (2011)

Postby Joeblake » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:27 pm

And some piccies as well? :wink:

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Joeblake wrote:And some piccies as well? :wink:

Joe

For sure. I just wanted to get the thread started before I got distracted with other "projects" as I am very easily distracted (so many interesting things). I have some minor things that I'll post pictures of. I'll also keep tabs on milage as well as trying to work out exactly how much electricity it takes to keep the battery topped up.
2012 Oppy A4

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 pm

That's an awesome price, btw... where from?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Howzat wrote:That's an awesome price, btw... where from?

I bought mine from New Farm Bikes in Brisbane. http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102049084

Done 60km so far on it which has used up 80% of the Silver battery but I've been chopping and changing between the different assist levels to find what works best in different situations. Top speed so far is 50 km:hr and I'm finding my average speed whilst commuting hasn't been much below what I'm on my road bike but to be fair, that's not saying much :lol:

I must say that I'm enjoying riding in an upright position and it might just be my imagination but I feel that motorists have been treating me better. Maybe they're recognising me as a human being instead of being a bike / cyclist?

2012 Oppy A4

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:14 pm

Grrr - my original intention was to keep editing the top post with updated info but it appears that there's a time limit

So here's the latest info. I rode the bike until the indicator showed that the battery had less than 20%. I presume that I could have stretched it out another 12km's

6 days
72* km on a silver battery,
23 km:hr average speed
50 km:hr top speed although that was pushing it down hill and the highest gear wasn't cutting it.
220 meters altitude gain
2,850* calories burned

Lights were used for 1hr 15min.

6hrs 15min charging time from flashing one bar i.e. < 20%

I didn't keep it on one setting because I was playing with the different assist levels seeing what works.

*the first ride is estimated as I rode it home from the bike shop and I'd forgotten my bike computer.

CCR Victory on the Innergy :lol:

2012 Oppy A4

smoran

Postby smoran » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi Kona,

Good to hear you got an Innergy at a great price. I recently got an XT model and am finding similar. Stats. Average speed 23km/h, top speed so far 50.1km/h and around 70-80km for the silver battery.

I've taken a couple of scalps as well :-) but I do notice that whilst I can take people up hill - they get me on the downhill/flats. Reverse of what happens in a velobmobile (and for the same reason with the aerodynamics working against us).

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:01 pm

smoran wrote:Hi Kona,

Good to hear you got an Innergy at a great price. I recently got an XT model and am finding similar. Stats. Average speed 23km/h, top speed so far 50.1km/h and around 70-80km for the silver battery.

I've taken a couple of scalps as well :-) but I do notice that whilst I can take people up hill - they get me on the downhill/flats. Reverse of what happens in a velobmobile (and for the same reason with the aerodynamics working against us).

My preference would have been an XT. However the deal I got on my bike was to hard to pass.

Riding home today, tired and cranky I didn't appreciate the strong head wind so I put my Gazelle into "boost" mode and just got irritated at the wind in my face drying out my lips, my lovely lips :lol:
2012 Oppy A4

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:55 pm

Latest Update

9 Days commuting

108 (ish) Kilometers, mostly on ECO mode however a few times on BOOST thanks to feeling tired and riding into headwinds
4100 Calories burned
21 km:hr Average Speed. I don't know if that's rolling speed or not. Now I know there's more than a few speedie Gonzalasus on this forum, however I'm pretty happy with that speed. It's on an upright bike, I'm comfortable, burning calories and getting to my destination safe and sound in a reasonable time 8)

I've added a milk crate, but it's only been one day. We'll see if it works out
2012 Oppy A4

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm

Kona, why do find yourself using ECO mode? I think I'd be tempted to leave it on BOOST all the time.

schurms

Postby schurms » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Kona,

Are the tyres 26" or 700c? I average 20-21kph on my 30k commute home so a 25kph average would be fantastic. Wonder if I can get one and say it is for my wife, but test it everyday?

Schurms

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:32 pm

Howzat wrote:Kona, why do find yourself using ECO mode? I think I'd be tempted to leave it on BOOST all the time.

I was trying to find out what sort of distance I can get out of the battery on ECO mode. I'm a bit miffed at myself for not sticking with it last battery charge. I've stayed strong this round and hope to be able to provide accurate results.

Next charge I'll roll in NORMAL mode and provide the kilometres achieved

schurms wrote:Kona,

Are the tyres 26" or 700c? I average 20-21kph on my 30k commute home so a 25kph average would be fantastic. Wonder if I can get one and say it is for my wife, but test it everyday?

Schurms

700c x 35

My GPS says that my average is 20 (ish) km:hr but on the flats I'm rolling at 25 to 27+ with ease. Down hill the 7 gears isn't enough but hey! why not just coast down?

I find that the upright riding position is very enjoyable. I lose the "must get there as fast as possible" mentality and move into "enjoy the ride" frame of mind.

To my way of thinking this bike fits the bill for a commuter.

Strong bike stand
Strong Pannier Racks
Lights that won't let you down (go flat)
Mud Guards that work (I've blown about $150 trying to get them to work on my MTB and Roadie)
A lock built into the bike with a key that you won't forget... well if you do your bike will be locked LOL
Comfortable to ride
Protected chain (wear long pants if it's cold without worrying about them getting caught)
Reflective strips on your tyres - STANDARD

The electric pedal assist is like an angel giving you a gentle push. Subtle but you know it's there at lower speeds.

I'd also like to say that the whole bike is so well thought out. I mean, the "motor" is on the front wheel and you're effort goes into the back wheel.... That's two wheel propulsion! Also the bike just feels stable.

I did buy the bike with the semi-justification of getting the missus to ride however she refused to give it a go at the bike shop so I had to wing the sizing (we're roughly the same size). Of course once I got it home she did give it a go in the driveway and of course it is one size to big. I could have worked with a size smaller for me but she can't work with one size to big for her :(
2012 Oppy A4

Jalit

Postby Jalit » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi KonaCommuter,

I'm looking at getting an Innergy XT, did you get the step-through or men's frame? Which battery do you recommend I get? And what are you using for storage and what things do you carry on a daily basis?

Thanks.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Jalit wrote:Hi KonaCommuter,

I'm looking at getting an Innergy XT, did you get the step-through or men's frame? Which battery do you recommend I get? And what are you using for storage and what things do you carry on a daily basis?

Thanks.
I've ridden my Gazelle every day since buying it in August without a hitch. It's an awesome commuter and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I had my time again. At least I never have to worry about the lights dying mid ride ever again... well unless I'm back on my Kona MTB or Oppy :oops:

I got the step through frame. I've been told it has a higher resale value. That and I'm comfortable with my sexuality :wink:

It's my understanding that you can't get the Bronze battery in Australia and that the silver one is standard which I've found is fine for what I use it for. I can't say wether the Gold battery is worth the extra $$$ but

I'm using a single Basil pannier bag at the moment. I leave it on my bike (I have a securish area to lock my bike up) and use one of those re-usable Coles bags to carry my stuff from my bike to my locker. What do I carry on a daily basis? Jumper, Tracky dacks, thermal underwear and my lunch. That's pretty much the limit for the bag that I have. I'll be looking at buying one's more suited for shopping in the near future (Santa?)

I did try a milk crate but I found it upset the centre of gravity and it looked inelegant.
2012 Oppy A4

Jalit

Postby Jalit » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 am

I put a deposit down for an Orange Innergy Plus XT but I had to go for the diamond frame model as it is the only one that comes in the 65 frame size. Does the step-through really make the bike more enjoyable to ride? do you think I would be happy with a gents frame?

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 am

Hi Jalit,

You'll love the men's frame... I've got a 61 Gazelle Orange Plus XT. Best bike I've owned. :D

Cheers, Paul (Gazelle Bicycles Australia)

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:16 pm

We've had an XT for a few months now and they are super great things. My only comment would be that they are a bit complex to work on and changing a tyre/tube is not simple. :o

We swapped marathon plusses onto our bike with this knowledge and I think that's a good thing. If it gets a flat out in the wild it will be a patch in place or maxi taxi job. :D

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Comedian wrote:We've had an XT for a few months now and they are super great things. My only comment would be that they are a bit complex to work on and changing a tyre/tube is not simple. :o

We swapped marathon plusses onto our bike with this knowledge and I think that's a good thing. If it gets a flat out in the wild it will be a patch in place or maxi taxi job. :D

Well I had a slow leak and not being mechanically minded I took it to my trusted LBS (Aspley Bike Hub) and they're sorting it out for me.

I don't feel bad about it in the least. What do motorcyclists do when they get a flat / need to change their tyres?
2012 Oppy A4

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey KC, I'm eyeing one of these and have appreciated your updates. How do you find the Gazelle now that you've had it a few months? Do you still take the Oppy out for a spin often? Would you swap it for a lighter, cheaper commuter like say a flat bar road bike? Any worries about parking an expensive bike?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:39 am

Howzat wrote:Hey KC, I'm eyeing one of these and have appreciated your updates. How do you find the Gazelle now that you've had it a few months? Do you still take the Oppy out for a spin often? Would you swap it for a lighter, cheaper commuter like say a flat bar road bike? Any worries about parking an expensive bike?

I still love my Gazelle. It's my go to bike for commuting. If it's raining or I'm doing a spot of shopping it's the Gazelle I'm taking.

The average speed I commute at on the Gazelle isn't anything to write home about but let's be honest here, commuting distances are generally not that great and the difference in time between doing 22km:hr and 30km:hr over 6km's isn't a deal breaker when all you're wanting to do is arrive at your destination safely and preferably not drenched in sweat.

Would I swap it for a cheaper &/or lighter commuter? That's a tough one to answer to be honest. There are good arguments for both. I'm happy to go through what I see the arguments are if you like.

I don't have any concerns about parking my bike at work but I have a secure area to lock my bike up at. I do confess though that I'm a tad nervous about taking it to shopping centres and the like.

I'll tell you something which is absolutely astounding. That is when I'm on my Gazelle I find that motorists treat me better. It's not my imagination. When I started riding my Oppy, same route, same time of day, roughly the same speed - the number of incidences of Moron Motorist behaviour skyrocketed. Speaking with another Gazelle owner he suggests that the though process in MM minds is "I'm trying to get somewhere and he's out exercising getting in my way" whereas when you're on an upright Dutch style bike they recognise that you're just trying to get somewhere as well.
2012 Oppy A4

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:My preference would have been an XT.
Why the XT? What provides the extra grand of value?

BTW my commute is about 42 km each way, with around 250 of climb. The return ride is invariably into a headwind blowing off the coast at 40 to 50 km/h, well sometimes it is a breeze at 30 km/h :) Would a silver battery get me home or would a gold be necessary?

Thanks
Andrew

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:44 pm

Aushiker wrote:

BTW my commute is about 42 km each way, with around 250 of climb. The return ride is invariably into a headwind blowing off the coast at 40 to 50 km/h, well sometimes it is a breeze at 30 km/h :) Would a silver battery get me home or would a gold be necessary?

Thanks
Andrew

In all honesty I don't think that a Gazelle Innergy is right for you. The Gazelle site puts the silver battery as having an average range of 80km but then you have to factor in that headwind and the fact you'd be sitting in a more upright position. I don't have to put up with that sort of headwind however the times that I do encounter it it's tough going on my Gazelle. I can't imagine putting up with it for 40 odd kilometres.
2012 Oppy A4

smoran

Postby smoran » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Thanks
Andrew
Hi

The innergy xt has gears in the motor which provides 3x the torque over the standard innergy. This means less effort going up hills and longer battery life.

I have a 30km commute that is hilly and a silver battery on my xt. I use 2-3 bars of battery (out of 5) each way depending on which way the wind is blowing that day. I recharge the battery when I get to work so its full for the trip home.

You have any other questions feel free to ask.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:52 pm

smoran wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Thanks
Andrew
Hi

The innergy xt has gears in the motor which provides 3x the torque over the standard innergy. This means less effort going up hills and longer battery life.

I have a 30km commute that is hilly and a silver battery on my xt. I use 2-3 bars of battery (out of 5) each way depending on which way the wind is blowing that day. I recharge the battery when I get to work so its full for the trip home.

You have any other questions feel free to ask.

I'd go with this rather than my earlier post. My commute is short and I don't have the XT ;-)
2012 Oppy A4

smoran

Postby smoran » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:57 pm

The of the issue have of course is that the 42km commute would take you almost 1 3/4 hours. My avg speed on the gazelle is around 24km/h and going 30km takes me 1 hr 20 mins.

For a long commute like yours with headwinds I would be looking at the mango velomobile that I think you priced. Of course hills can be an issue there.

If money is no object then an velo with electric assist would be the bees knees. Probably around $13k but cheaper than a car.